Chapala.com Webboard

Bullfrogs, Chapala

Please someone confirm that American Giant Bullfrogs have invaded the Lakeshore. That would be very bad news for a number of native aquatic species. We suffered the same problem in  southern British Columbia. I used to shoot them with a pellet gun. But didn't want to risk even a completely legal firearm to bring down here. Is anyone else up to pelunking these pests with a 22 calibre, silent, air rifle with a night scope? Could be fun, especially once the police know about it.

• Sad 1

Yes Chillin, I think I may have misspoken on my comment on the thread Swimming in Lake Chapala.

Here is a link I found about animals in Chapala:  https://www.inaturalist.org/check_lists/39671-Chapala-Check-List

I don't believe that the American Bullfrog has made it this far south to Chapala yet.  But I do know for a fact that there are large water frogs that croak at night on the malecón in Chapala.  According to the link above I would guess it is the Bigfoot Leopard Frog I have been hearing.  If you look at its picture you might forgive me for thinking it was a bull frog.  The fact of the matter is is that amphibians are highly sensitive to pollution.  If Lake Chapala can have a living colony of Leopard frogs, i doubt it is radioactive or so deadly as Ficklepie is trying to taint this area.

• Like 2

No, the bullfrogs were introduced by local fishers. They bought 12,000 tadpoles. But they do not seem too clear on how to keep birds out. That is how it started in B.C. A bird picked up a live farm frog and accidently dropped it back in the lake. In Southern B.C., the beautiful Pacific Tree Frog is becoming extinct. We could also shoot rats too. They also eat newly hatched waterfowl. Here is article in the Guad Reporter.

http://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/45076-chapala-fishermen-leapfrog-into-new-farming-venture

19 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Please someone confirm that American Giant Bullfrogs have invaded the Lakeshore. That would be very bad news for a number of native aquatic species. We suffered the same problem in  southern British Columbia. I used to shoot them with a pellet gun. But didn't want to risk even a completely legal firearm to bring down here. Is anyone else up to pelunking these pests with a 22 calibre, silent, air rifle with a night scope? Could be fun, especially once the police know about it.

20 years ago there was always a notice posted on the Soriana BB offered dressed, farm raised Bull Frogs.for sale from a frog farm in Chapala. 

There are six full time ratcatchers in Alberta. Now there are no rats in Alberta.

B.C. has two full time bullfrog catchers. The goal is to keep them out of Victoria. He uses some some or electrical rod to stun them, then a net to scoop them up, then into some sort of cooler to slowly freeze them to death. No wonder the rest of Canada laughs at BC!

They should give idle kids slingshots and pay a bounty for bullfrogs. They have to know it is for bullfrogs, nothing else.

Ha Ha City mice. In BC invasive species include cotton tail rabbits, oppossums, grey squirrels, starlings, bullfrogs and a couple others I would have to think about. Crows are a pest, but they are protected. In the old days, boys would be plinking at the garbage dump with their ancient 22 rifles. Now there are vast clouds of Corvis over Vancouver in the early evening.

Maybe this is political, but these invasive species are killing and driving out wildlife that was there 100's of years before they showed up.

• Sad 1

What a bizare thread. I have studied invasive species in BC but we are in Meixo so I won't post. By far the most invasice things here are introduced plants.