Chapala.com Webboard

Blown glass repair?

Ferret

I should have said handmade blown glass. You may use your mouth to do the blowing but you use both hands on the pipe to rotate the piece and to send the air. I bought it in Boone, North Carolina for my mum. It has survived many moves but it couldn't survive my housekeeper.

And, blown glass in Spanish is called Vidrio Soplado and I now know where all the places are in Tonala. Thank you google.

8 hours ago, BeanRoy said:

I am quite sure Ferret knows this. And driving to Guadalajara to find a glass-blowing shop to fix a single stemmed rose is probably not high on anyone's agenda.

It must be nice knowing everything.

I was only trying to be helpful.

BTW we love driving into Guadalajara.

Ferret, there is some special kind of glue for glass, which requires heating but I don't know what it's called or if you could even find it in Mexico. I had a friend years ago who used to make small but complex glass sculptures, not blown, but from broken glass, and that's what she used. Maybe a Google search could come up with it.

My cleaner just broke a beautiful pottery container my daughter made that I've had for almost 30 years. I don't understand why they are so careless or clumsy with things which are obviously fragile. 

• Thanks 1

Okay. Googling while having morning coffee...

Both of these products have rave reviews but the comments are worth considering... like there's a BEST BEFORE date on this stuff. I'll order both but need Alex Peterson to bring 'em across. I know they both say "currently unavailable" but that was when I put in my Mexican address. When I switched it to Alex's Laredo address for shipping, they were both available.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Glass-Glue-2-Gram-233841/dp/B000PSBBM8?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQVH9TR/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07ZQVH9TRp13NParams&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzS08yN045Uk1HMjdMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDgyMDQwM0FETTBKRExWNkdSUSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTU2NTcyMkxBNkZWTlNIWlhUSSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbDImYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I choked on the price on Amazon Mexico...

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Instant-Glass-Glue-3-pack/dp/B000PSBBM8/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=Loctite%2Bpara%2Bcrystal&qid=1615655372&s=tools&sr=1-5&th=1

10 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

i use loctite BLUE thread locker  and just looked it up and it can be used on glass and other materials and would be available right here.  I got some at Autozone and some hardware stores carry it. I can't remember but I don't think it's very expensive.

What I get from your links and other sources is that loctite glass is just another type of super glue. Don't make yerself crazy and try some super glue.

15 hours ago, Wookie said:

I have glass dolphins that my son gave me that have not survived our housekeeper either. 🙁

This sounds like an opportunity to take your dolphins and Ferret's vase in 1 viaje to Tonala and have them repaired / remade.....likely to get a result that is way better aesthetically and more permanent than gluing.   

By the way.....for any interested in glass blowing....."Blown Away"  is a really neat show on Netflix....similar format to the baking competitions but done in North America's largest "hot shop" and with skilled judges and contestants:

Blown Away | Netflix Official Site

• Thanks 2

I would suspect you will need to find someone with a jewellers gas torch and a glass rod to create the molten glass together. JB weld is usually dark in color. Anything else, including potassium silicate, liquid glass, will not soak into the two parts. Find a local jewelry maker.

• Thanks 1