Chapala.com Webboard

Traffic conditions at Lakeside

13 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

You wouldn't if you and your compatriats had to work every day, seeing multiple people and spending hours sitting in traffic... traffic that has been caused and continues to be ruined by more and more stupid planning. It's a bloody torture. And I am not sure how a handful of complaints on a single thread brings it to a level that is laughable.

Yes, well put. Not all of us grew up in the ugly rat race of a huge US city like LA. Some moved from the US or Canada a long time ago to a place that was affordable then and peaceful in comparison to now (like myself) and don't neccessarily see more amenities as "progress". There's nothing laughable about it, really, when you've been in an area for 10, 15 years or longer and watch traffic ruin an otherwise nice place to live with a totally clueless local government that hasn't even figured on synchronizing it's traffic signals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Here's a clue when shopping for a place to live: One two way main street through any town in any country is eventually going to be gridlocked even if it isn't at the time. Especially when said town is bounded by mountains to the north and a lake to the south aka no way to solve the problem.

• Like 2

We are certainly glad we chose a highly walkable pueblo location as opposed to out of town fracs where you have to get the car out for everything.  That choice has proven to be more and more useful as traffic worsens.  Our choices in easily walkable shops, restaurants and services have multiplied since we moved here.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, blankletmusic said:

Yes, well put. Not all of us grew up in the ugly rat race of a huge US city like LA. Some moved from the US or Canada a long time ago to a place that was affordable then and peaceful in comparison to now (like myself) and don't neccessarily see more amenities as "progress". There's nothing laughable about it, really, when you've been in an area for 10, 15 years or longer and watch traffic ruin an otherwise nice place to live with a totally clueless local government that hasn't even figured on synchronizing it's traffic signals.

I've lived here 15+ years and I  don't let a simple thing like traffic ruin it. I do kvetch a lot about the constant redo of the same mistakes made on the carretera  lately and then I  light up a purro and sip a shot of mezcal while I listen to some music, alternately contemplating my beautiful garden and my navel  and I'm over it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

Because those were the only two options provided. I like to shop when I like to shop. I like to go out on the weekends. I prefer not to be lorded over by traffic restricting me to such things. Not a big deal; just suggesting there is more to it than that. Perhaps locked up was taken too literally.

Words matter. Say what you mean.

Who  is being “lorded over”? Some people don’t care if it is “the weekend” or not. They like to live their lives with a minimum of aggravation and traffic aggravates them. They can just as easily do what they want Monday through Friday. They choose what days they go out and about. They are not dictated to by the calendar. “Oh, it’s the weekend! I must go out and hassle traffic and deal with crowds because Weekend!” It is a lifestyle choice, not a civil rights issue. 

9 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

You wouldn't if you and your compatriats had to work every day, seeing multiple people and spending hours sitting in traffic... traffic that has been caused and continues to be ruined by more and more stupid planning. It's a bloody torture. And I am not sure how a handful of complaints on a single thread brings it to a level that is laughable.

Just think if people like you who want to shop when you want to shop and explore and hit up restaurants and people would stay close to home during peak traffic times the people who have to work and spend hours sitting in traffic would be less tortured. But you want what you want when you want it so tough for them.

• Confused 1

You are making a mountain out of a molehill, reading things into my otherwise-benign comments solely in an effort to antagonize, and it's not working. You really should step back and see where all this vitriol is coming from.

Everything I said has value and is only my opinion. What are you offering? Nothing but negativity. Really good for this thread and for the board in general. You don't like my opinion? MOVE ON.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Not to mention the number of people who come to a thread to complain about the complainers.  :D 

OK then, no complaints about complainers, and I´ll just say the traffic don´t bother me and I live in SAT. I don´t know if patience is a virtue but it´s certainly less stressful when driving in heavy traffic.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Is there really much of anyplace , anywhere, where traffic hasn't gotten worse in the past 15 years, aside from podunk towns where nothing much goes on and not many people are interested in settling?

Probably not a lot of places other than the forementioned "podunk towns". It's an ugly part of modern life for some of us hence the reason for my starting this thread. I live in a rat race in New Mexico and simply want to avoid the mistake of trading one rat race for another. The Lakeside I remember was a calmer place (cohetes not withstanding) to be. Not that way anymore obviously from the replies to this thread (even though the term "calmer" is subjective). As a previous poster replied "You can't have it both ways" in referring to a lot more amenities now and the corresponding uptick in the traffic. Sadly very true.

I think there are still less traffic impacted locations here and would suggest this is one of the factors, along with noise, that needs to be very carefully evaluated before choosing a location to settle here.  

Nevertheless, we have a lot more traffic here than we used to, IMO largely due to the growth of car ownership in the Mexican community and the renewed interest in the area from GDL to the point we are somewhat of a suburb for that city now. 

And it is compounded by the ineptitude of the local government which appears to be headed for a new low when it comes to the traffic management in front of and to the east of Walmart and through Ajijic.  There is simply no way that scheme is going to work, particularly unless the snarl in front of San Antonio due to the lights and the left turning there is addressed.

Chapala has its own bottleneck in the center where the carretera meets Chapala highway, that one is pretty hard to relieve as there are simply no ways around it on the west side.

21 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

We are certainly glad we chose a highly walkable pueblo location as opposed to out of town fracs where you have to get the car out for everything.  That choice has proven to be more and more useful as traffic worsens.  Our choices in easily walkable shops, restaurants and services have multiplied since we moved here.

Most of the walkable shops (for food) are pretty poor quality.

• Sad 1

So go to Walmart once a week, preferably before 10 am.. I'm not being mean but you have to be both organized AND adaptable in situations like this. I don't want to forget anything so I write lists. Yes, the unexpected things happen. That's life. Choose your location carefully based on both your current and future needs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, cedros said:

That's a broad statement and untrue.  I haven't driven since 1973 and have lived in Ajiic fulltime for over 20 years and haven't begin to sample all of the great restaurants within walking distance.  Every year more interesting spots pop up and the old time establishments are always upgrading.  The fact that there's no parking may be a turn off to some and nostalgia for the similarity of urban/suburban restaurants back home make make some seek out that experience, but Ajijic--and the entire lakeside area--has a quality of dining  not seen in most of Mexico, not to mention the USA.

7 hours ago, cedros said:

20 minutes ago, cafemediterraneo said:

That's a broad statement and untrue.  I haven't driven since 1973 and have lived in Ajiic fulltime for over 20 years and haven't begin to sample all of the great restaurants within walking distance.

The post you responded to, saying it was untrue, was referring to shops, not restaurants. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

You are making a mountain out of a molehill, reading things into my otherwise-benign comments solely in an effort to antagonize, and it's not working. You really should step back and see where all this vitriol is coming from.

Everything I said has value and is only my opinion. What are you offering? Nothing but negativity. Really good for this thread and for the board in general. You don't like my opinion? MOVE ON.

Your opinion has value but mine is vitriol? Really? You don’t like my opinion and I should move on. Got it. 

El Torito works for us for the occasional stuff and on some things they are quite good.  Walmart is once per week or less now, at opening time on Monday morning, absolutely no traffic or crowd problems.  Wednesday tianquis is back and fills many needs as well.  We just don't eat as much or need as much and a little management makes it pretty easy.  

We love the convenience of our location and the traffic is no where bad enough we'd want to give this incomparable climate up.

• Like 1

I can conclude fro all the helpful posts to this thread that living at Lakeside these days is living the rat race where a trip from West Ajijic to Chapala can now take a very long time due to traffic queues, unsynchronized traffic lights, etc. 

Am I correct in assuming that the usual issues (dogs, graffiti/weeds, broken sidewalks, poor local gov't., difficulty accomplishing simple tasks sometime) are all still part of daily life?

On the upside, it appears to me that the dining/takeout food situation there is considerably more diverse than in bygone years ( and I felt we ate very well then), it seems to be even better now (with the food choices available).

Please give me your thoughts....Thank you,

Those are some of the reasons that we sold in Ajijic, and moved to Chapala Centro in 2004. We stayed there a decade and we miss it terribly. We were a block and a half from the mercado publico, and could walk everywhere in the downtown or lakeside malecon, etc.