Chapala.com Webboard

Traffic conditions at Lakeside

Yes traffic is much worse.  Mexicans have far more cars per capita then they did when we moved here 12 years ago, both locally and in GDL.  The government is not only not dealing with it, they are making it worse, witness the crazy overcomplicated sure to gridlock nest of signals just installed in front of Walmart. 

Some have suggested only locating east of Walmart now, that may make sense.

• Like 1

I have pictures of my sister and I standing in front of the Ajijic plaza late 70s early 80's an there were no cars. Yes things have changed, in 2005 it still only took me 15 minutes to get to Ajijic. I live on the west end of the Lake and cringe when I have to go to Ajijic, on a good day I can be in Guad in 30 minutes when the other day it took me an hour to get to San Anatonio. 

• Like 2

Been in this area 14 years.  It is now almost impossible to turn left or right from the libramiento almost all day without a wait.  Can take, at times, 15 minutes from the libramiento to the other side of Ajijic.  Part of the problem as I see it is, as others have pointed out, more cars are owned now than in past years.  And, the lights aren't synchronized making for back up of traffic at some lights. 

• Like 1

I can not believe that the work crew are now tearing up and relaying the same section in Chapala, on the mountain side, just East of Farmicia Guadalajara . This must be the 3/4 time I think first by the city guys and now these "State"? guys. I keep saying to my Mexicans friends (those that I still have) you do not have to work harder , just work smarter. Where is all this money coming from..This repair company seem to have found a second home at Lakeside, maybe because of having cups of coffee & cookies from the friendly NOB folks living by

14 minutes ago, blankletmusic said:

Sounds like driving is major aggro there now (and I used to complain about the traffic back in 2006.) That was apparently nothing compared

to the current state of things.

It can be.  As suggested above, and the strategy we use for the most part, shopping early and hiding out on the weekends helps.  

Interestingly GDL is computerizing their signals and fixing their streets and it is getting easier to get around in it in some parts now.  Also the reconstruction of the Periferico definitely helped.

At some point everywhere, the number of cars overwhelms the capacity to move them and all urban areas have this problem.  Our problem is really compounded by a local government that just doesn't seem to have a clue how to keep things moving.  

We used to live in Albuquerque.  There, for about 6 hours per day, 3 each morning and 3 each afternoon trying to get across the river was a real chore  They were pretty good at optimizing what they had but the number of cars just caught up with them and further easing would be frightfully expensive.

We've been visiting for almost ten years (living here for four) and the change just in that time has been noticeable. Quite correct about increasing car ownership by Mexicans, and add to that many of the drivers (regardless of age) are new drivers which makes it more interesting. 

I second the idea of being strategic about when you go out, which is something I always did NOB, but did not expect at lakeside.

Also, think about the relative issues. Yes, it's been 15 minutes across Ajijic at times, which is a crawl. But no one cares if you're late. roll down the windows and take in the sights. It's only a bother if you let it bother you (unless, of course, if you need an ambulance!). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 years here, full time. Getting around is an exercise in frustration now; used to go from San Antonio to west Ajijic in 5 minutes but now can be anything up to an hour, depending day and time you're traveling. The lights are poorly distributed and tend to snarl rather than move the traffic. Not to mention the never ending construction and detours when you least expect them. It's definitely not the same town and I doubt I'd settle here now, as a newcomer. You can't help but wonder how much more the infrastructure will bear; there's only so much area between the mountains and the lake, so not a lot of options for alternate routes... 

10 hours ago, El Cartero said:

17 years ago it was a wonderful and quiet little cultural paradise.   2 years ago it became intolerable to drive in the traffic.  Moved.

It sure doesn't sound like the way I remember it. Ajijic had traffic then but once through it was smooth sailing east or west, no worries. A shame really, it was always my favorite of the gringo communities in Mexico. A lot of the other places are either too hot (and humid), too cold, or too expensive. It's a shame the local gov't. can't manage the increased traffic situation more efficiently as Lakeside ticks the most boxes (for me).  At least it used to......I've lived in several places where speeding and aggressive driving (and the local gov'ts. inability to do much about it) helped to ruin the quality of life for many of the residents.

I live in one such place in New Mexico. Sounds like Lakeside is similar in this regard with the traffic headaches.

17 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

That's fine if you like being locked in all the time. I want to get out, continue explore the amazing area, hit up the Chinese place in Joco, see people in the west end... the list goes on and on. A big consideration for me, rather than being held prisoner by :() infrastructure design.

How do you translate “shop early” and “stay home weekends” into “being locked up all the time”? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well put, Zena.  Having grown up in Los Angeles, CA, I find the level of complaining about this to be downright laughable. Yes, it's much busier than it was a dozen years ago, but we also have more choices in entertainment, dining and facilities of every kind than we had then.  "You can't have it both ways" applies.😉 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Xena said:

How do you translate “shop early” and “stay home weekends” into “being locked up all the time”? 

Because those were the only two options provided. I like to shop when I like to shop. I like to go out on the weekends. I prefer not to be lorded over by traffic restricting me to such things. Not a big deal; just suggesting there is more to it than that. Perhaps locked up was taken too literally.

1 hour ago, gringal said:

Well put, Zena.  Having grown up in Los Angeles, CA, I find the level of complaining about this to be downright laughable.

You wouldn't if you and your compatriats had to work every day, seeing multiple people and spending hours sitting in traffic... traffic that has been caused and continues to be ruined by more and more stupid planning. It's a bloody torture. And I am not sure how a handful of complaints on a single thread brings it to a level that is laughable.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1