Chapala.com Webboard

COVID Vaccinations Being Administered this Week at Lakeside

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/world/mexico-to-rely-mainly-on-chinese-vaccines/

Mexico announced a huge bet on Chinese vaccines Tuesday, without making public any information about their efficacy.

Foreign Relations Secretary Marcelo Ebrard said the Mexican government has signed agreements for 12 million doses of the yet-unapproved Sinopharm vaccine and increased to a total of 20 million doses its contracts for the Coronavac dose made by China’s Sinovac.

However, Ebrard’s office has repeatedly refused to answer questions about the efficacy of the Chinese shots.

Sinopharm has claimed its vaccine was 79% effective based on interim data from clinical trials, but like other Chinese firms, it has not publicly released its late-stage clinical trial data.

Experts in Hong Kong have assessed the efficacy of the Sinovac vaccine at about 51%. That shot has already been approved for use in Mexico.

The CanSino vaccine has been approved in Mexico and reportedly has an efficacy rate of around 65.7%,

Amid a dearth of public data on China’s vaccines, hesitations over their efficacy and safety are still pervasive in the countries depending on them.

Inoculations with Chinese vaccines already have begun in more than 25 countries. None of China’s three vaccine candidates used globally have publicly released their late-stage clinical trial data.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ibarra said:

What age group received forms via email?

80 and above

70 and above

60 and above

????

The attachment was sent to a few private email lists. Nothing official. Later it was stated that other than having the document to translate from Spanish, it isn't very useful and doesn't need to be filled out ahead of time.

Skimmed the thread, and to add a couple notes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/02/25/pfizers-covid-vaccine-doesnt-need-ultra-cold-storage-fda-says/?sh=76aa50fd226e

Secondly, not to be in any way argumentative, but Mostly Lost, may I ask where the information came from that mixing vaccines is o.k.?

Part of one personal plan I had was to get a vaccine here, and then another in the U.S. To my knowledge, the U.S. is not offering Chinese vaccines whereas 50 million Chinese vaccines were ordered into Mexico.

I thus emailed a U.S. research and teaching professor in microbio and chemistry (30 years) if I could or should mix vaccine different types. He said as of two weeks ago, that not enough information is available to make the determination of safety of mixing vaccines.

Anyway, if you have a good source that it is o.k. to mix vaccine types, that would be a big help for many people. Indeed, if anyone knows mixing vaccines is dangerous, that would be helpful too. For now, personally, I am wary and reluctant to mix vaccines.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, southland said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/02/25/pfizers-covid-vaccine-doesnt-need-ultra-cold-storage-fda-says/?sh=76aa50fd226e

Secondly, not to be in any way argumentative, but Mostly Lost, may I ask where the information came from that mixing vaccines is o.k.?

Part of one personal plan I had was to get a vaccine here, and then another in the U.S. To my knowledge, the U.S. is not offering Chinese vaccines whereas 50 million Chinese vaccines were ordered into Mexico.

I thus emailed a U.S. research and teaching professor in microbio and chemistry (30 years) if I could or should mix vaccine different types. He said as of two weeks ago, that not enough information is available to make the determination of safety of mixing vaccines.

Anyway, if you have a good source that it is o.k. to mix vaccine types, that would be a big help for many people. Indeed, if anyone knows mixing vaccines is dangerous, that would be helpful too. For now, personally, I am wary and reluctant to mix vaccines.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/is-it-safe-to-get-1-covid-19-vaccine-now-and-another-later#How-Johnson-Johnsons-vaccine-differs-from-Moderna-and-Pfizer

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56342303

2 days ago.

Health systems in most of Brazil's largest cities are close to collapse because of Covid-19 cases, its leading health institute warns.

More than 80% of intensive care unit beds are occupied in the capitals of 25 of Brazil's 27 states, Fiocruz said.

Experts warn that the highly contagious variant in Brazil may have knock-on effects in the region and beyond.

"Brazil is a threat to humanity," Fiocruz epidemiologist Jesem Orellana told the AFP news agency.

Fyi, Brazil has been administering China's Sinovac vaccine for over 2 months.  Not exactly a ringing endorsement. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, southland said:

I'm in a similar situation and researching the topic. There seems to be little true case studies on having a dose of two different vaccines. Some very small studies from AstraZeneca, albeit with not a lot of information, seem to imply that switching vaccines may be an advantage in protecting people from the variants. It's a bit soon to tell, but I've had one shot and am trying to see what to do when my second shot comes up; I'm on a dozen waiting lists and don't know how to respond when my second vaccine comes due.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jrod said:

I'm in a similar situation and researching the topic. There seems to be little true case studies on having a dose of two different vaccines. Some very small studies from AstraZeneca, albeit with not a lot of information, seem to imply that switching vaccines may be an advantage in protecting people from the variants. It's a bit soon to tell, but I've had one shot and am trying to see what to do when my second shot comes up; I'm on a dozen waiting lists and don't know how to respond when my second vaccine comes due.

Most experts are stating if you are taking a vaccine that requires 2 doses it is better to take the same vaccine for those two doses.

As to appointments  Are you in the USA?  If so what state? What vaccine did you receive?

1 hour ago, jrod said:

Yes, there doesn't appear to be much information on mixinfg vaccines. Should you mix and match COVID-19 vaccines? Scientists are seeking answers | Science | AAAS (sciencemag.org)es, there doesn't appear to be much nformation on mixing vaccines.

Covid trial in UK examines mixing different vaccines - BBC News

Scientists get serious about mixing and matching COVID-19 vaccines - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Most experts are stating if you are taking a vaccine that requires 2 doses it is better to take the same vaccine for those two doses.

As to appointments  Are you in the USA?  If so what state? What vaccine did you receive?

My GP also says it is best to take the same vaccine, which makes a lot of sense to me.  I've had one AstraZeneca in Mexico and have shot 2 scheduled. My concern is that the AZ seems to be delayed in re-supply here. If I have to decide at that moment, what do I do: permit them to substitute with another vaccine or do I voluntarily delay the scheduled second dose, hoping they will get more AZ in during the 30-day window? (Research is showing longer wait times between AZ doses, from 56-86 days, has increased benefits.) So, I'm doing heavy research so I have as much information to help me decide at that moment: do I take a second/different vaccine if AstraZeneca is not offered for Shot 2 or do I choose to delay to hopefully get the same, second shot. I am still on multiple lists in TX but AstraZeneca looks like it won't get approval till the end of April in the US. So, I research and wait.

12 minutes ago, cedros said:

Yes, there doesn't appear to be much information on mixinfg vaccines. Should you mix and match COVID-19 vaccines? Scientists are seeking answers | Science | AAAS (sciencemag.org)es, there doesn't appear to be much nformation on mixing vaccines.

Covid trial in UK examines mixing different vaccines - BBC News

Yes, this Oxford study is just starting but looks promising as the world deals with supply-chain and distribution issues and local availability of different manufacturers increases. I find it interesting that their study is AZ followed y Pfizer; as the AZ is a viral-vector and the Pfizer is m-RNA. I would have thought that the J&J (and the Sputnik V) would have been more directly compatible, as both are VV's. 

Ideally, for now, the same vaccine for both shots is a logical choice; if supply dictates otherwise, decisions will have to be made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrod said:

Research is showing longer wait times between AZ doses, from 56-86 days, has increased benefits.)

As far as I'm aware, that is the new recommendation for all the 2 dose vaccines. Even longer is okay- 3-4 months. My 90 year old stepmom in England got her first Pfizer back in Dec. and hasn't had the second yet. She was a career nurse, isn't the least bit senile, and keeps informed about this stuff.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 10:24 AM, southland said:

It is really not so much a safety issue, it is more about getting data - there is a lot of thinking that use of more than one type of vaccine can actually give a wider / stronger amount of immune system response.    Here's a well written article on it with reputable people quoted in a highly regarded Canada news mag:

COVID vaccines in Canada: Can you mix and match different shots? - Macleans.ca

Thank you for the article.

Theories abound, more will come, and the one about actually strengthening various immune systems in the body by using different vaccines to activate different ones is quite interesting, and well presented. I like scientists who can make analogies so that everyday people can understand the science.

Bless those people who volunteered even from the earliest days, to take the trial vaccines.

In slight angular disagreement with you, but not wishing to be argumentative, safety pervades everything having to do with Covid and what scientists are trying to do to solve or alleviate it. Otherwise, the part about the Brits going forward with policy prior to having the facts would not have been mentioned as a risk. What defines risk? Safety. Cheers.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 8:19 AM, NLU said:

The Global Times is an arm of the Chinese Government.  You cannot believe anything they write. 

From Wikipedia, 

The Global Times  is a daily tabloid newspaper under the auspices of the Chinese Communist Party's flagship People's Daily newspaper, commenting on international issues from a nationalistic perspective.  The newspaper has been the source of various incidents, including fabrications and disinformation.

• Like 1