Chapala.com Webboard

Infrastructure Crumbling?

Been around Lakeside for over 20 years. And yes back in the good ole days one could count on having CFE problems.... off/on, brownout or hotter than h*ll, etc.  But Telcel and Telmex were pretty acceptable.  Fast forward to the last couple of years and.... not so much!

I've never seen Telcel going south too much...but now?  Telmex phones were pretty much OK and their Internet was slow but fairly regular.... except when it was not due to bad wiring, rain etc.

Any ideas?  Covid?  Too many folks moving in?  Bad "financials"?  Don't give a damn attitude?  Or just my imagination!?!

I think it depends on where you are at.  For us, TelMex and CFE more reliable.  I haven't started up my generator since they did all the work in the area.  When the power goes down it comes back much faster.  Our TelMex internet while pretty slow is cheap, fast enough to stream and more reliable.

Water more reliable too.

For me, the most crumbling is the condition of the streets, potholes and trash.  Not just where I live, Riberas for example far worse.  Seems most of the street money going into Chapala with some into San Antonio.

Carretera in far better shape than it was a few years ago.  Bike path more functional and very popular.  Not the best design, those barriers are car and truck eaters and the planters already an abject failure.  But the path itself greatly improved and soon to be continuous all the way to San Juan Cosala.

Basic problem here IMO is runaway and truly bad development.  Like that blight next to CocaCola.  Looks like it has stopped dead in its tracks, we could have that hulk sitting there for years like the second El Dorado tower did.

• Thanks 1

I do not see anything crumbling from 20 years ago.. there always was brown out lost of power slow water in april and May.. what I do not like from 20 years ago is the increse development and the bad traffic..

We could not stream 20 years ago..we had to have Shaw..no more

Our communication lines and CFE have been much more reliable since our first move here in 2008. 

I worry more about water and sewer, which are ok now, but with so many condos/townhouses being built on lots that were either vacant or with a minimal structure, not sure SIMAPA can handle it.  I walk a lot in Ajijic and it is not uncommon to see water bubbling up from street pipes; I always contact SIMAPA, and they respond quickly, but the number of leaks goes up every year.  

I read the local MXN papers and hardly a week goes by without a story about a SIMAPA well going dry, problems fixing well equipment, problems drilling new wells; in the past month there have been a lot of photos of sewage spewing into the lake from a broken pipe (though last I read that was fixed).  

While roads are in bad shape, we don't drive much and can swerve around or slowly roll thru most potholes.  We have Telmex, Telcel, ILOX and T-Mobile, so there's usually a back-up for our communications. 

But you can't live without water and/or sewer.  

• Like 1

The title of the post is interesting. Given that many new projects only seem to last a few months is very sad. Good tax monies have been spent only to have crappy results.

The road and highways crumble as the result of over weight trucks and shoddy construction. No planed "Master Plan". The Mexican Master Plan seems to be "how much have you got"

Yes both the CFE and Telmex offices have significantly more staff than 20 years back , but now still understaffed because they have to fix a greater amount of problems. If only the extra labor would start to undertake some preventative maintenance   instead of keep putting Band-Aids on every break down, your reliability would improve. You don't have to be a brain surgeon or taken a 5 year uni course

Depending where you are coming from I guess MX is "paradise". It was once for me.

I am sure if you ask the asylum seekers begging at the topes they will think they are in paradise......... en route to heaven (USA)

I think many of "us" Not others lurking under the rock to say don't include me.......have become slowly worn out try to help with time, talent and money. Most times only to be patronized.

But on reflection how much should we become involved. Good intentions sometimes  turns into interference. For my self all I wish is to be treaded as I would treat others.....(including other posters).

Now I will retire back under my rock and wait until that fu**ing internet returns. I guess that Band Aid was too small. Peace

PS. I did "hear" from the milkman (OMG) the new building  in SAT has problems with its footings