Chapala.com Webboard

city water Ajjic

bmh

The water delivery  is way down and out aljibe was empty yesterday and ther ewas very little water coming in.. I am getting water from the pipa this afternoon. Check your aljibe levels before using  lots of water.

Just in case the pipa in Chapala is from Miguel Martinez 376 765 2725.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bmh said:

The water delivery  is way down and out aljibe was empty yesterday and ther ewas very little water coming in.. I am getting water from the pipa this afternoon. Check your aljibe levels before using  lots of water.

Just in case the pipa in Chapala is from Miguel Martinez 376 765 2725.

There are a number of wells that serve our area. It would be helpful to others if you gave an approximate location

5 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

There are a number of wells that serve our area. It would be helpful to others if you gave an approximate location

I read the other day that Ajijic had 5 wells.

5 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

Hopefully,  people will soon realize that lawns and pools are less important than water to drink and with which to wash.

What are the chances?

Slim I think. 

When I lived in the Raquet Club I was on the water committee briefly. At a meeting I suggested that we discourage lawns and encourage planting that required less water. That suggestion was poopoohed.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

Hopefully,  people will soon realize that lawns and pools are less important than water to drink and with which to wash.

What are the chances?

Tell it to Guadalajara. They are already drawing extra water from Lake Chapala because of shortages and the season has barely begun.

Chill out people. Everything in Floradude's post is the reason that we left San Miguel de Allende in 2006. We were worried mostly about the water situation. Fast forward fifteen years... there is more development than ever there. Traffic gridlock etc. Reminds of the sign outside Collingwood, Ontario in the 1990's "Collingwood.  Population 12,345. And we intend to keep it that way."

It's called progress and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it.

5 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Chill out people. Everything in Floradude's post is the reason that we left San Miguel de Allende in 2006. We were worried mostly about the water situation. Fast forward fifteen years... there is more development than ever there. Traffic gridlock etc. Reminds of the sign outside Collingwood, Ontario in the 1990's "Collingwood.  Population 12,345. And we intend to keep it that way."

It's called progress and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it.

Except move somewhere quieter and less developed.

Been there and done that Cedros. The progress always follows. At this stage in my life, I'm staying put. Close to everything that I could possibly need or want. I actually made a choice to move from West Ajijic to Riberas specifically to avoid the traffic gridlock in Ajijic. Now, I rarely need to go past Walmart. Works for me.

• Like 1

Looked at my notes. It is a little bit early for water problems.  But last year scared me enough I put a new 7500 gallon tank underground.  The day after it finished filling as I spread it out over a couple of weeks the water slowed down for three days to almost nothing in SE SAT.  Me thinks May is going to be tough before the rains start. 

As far as the old days go...

Can you remember

When Telmex internet was 1 down and .05 up (fastest speed many had less) and only if you were lucky enough to have a phone line. If it rained the internet would not work at all.  Also if you wanted a phone line and Telmex did not have one in your hood you had to buy it from someone and it wasn't chump change either.

Telecable (what became wiz) was no better for internet in fact Telmex was better but we did have ABC NBC CBS on the local cable not that it was legal. Telecable let you pay for 11 months and get one free.

CFE where does one start.  A while ago the electricity went off at night so the bars had generators.  If it rained CFE went off quite frequently. Thunder and lightning  CFE went off quite frequently.  The high voltage lines on the top of the poles were so poorly maintained that they would have opens and sparking and they didn't care til the wire broke.  The voltage would go up and down up and down.  Quite a laugh.  Solution to all this was to go to bed early LOL.

Water.  what water?   some places up in Los Salvias had water once a week thats why we had a 4000 gallon tank under the house to water the new plants in the orchard.

So yes we still have problems (second day of brownouts in the plaza for example) it is much better than it use to be. The water is much cleaner this time of the year than it use to be.  I use to have to take sprinklers apart before I put a simple filter on the water line and they were full of mud.  New well and pump are squeaky clean water now. WIZ has a max of 15 down these days and it works which it did not work much in old days as the whole neighborhood shared one down or so for example. Yep the road stinks but I walk anyway so my big problem is crossing the carraterra.

Any other observations from the old farts?

• Like 3

I have read that internet arrived lakeside in the Spring of 1997, I had recently purchased a home and when I arrived lakeside in the fall of 1997, I signed up for internet from the only ISP lakeside, Lagunanet, which was run by Rod Collins. He provided us dialup internet at half the speed of normal dialup. We were clamped of at 28.8Kbits/sec  It was a reliable service.  Some years later, he upgraded to faster speeds using WiFi to distribute his signal throughout areas from Chapala all the way to Joco. You needed an antenna at your end to point toward one of his internet towers.  Then in the early 2000s Telmex began to offer their services. Now, there are even more internet options.

I'm with Pete because I remember dial-up and tower to tower delivery... but in San Miguel de Allende. I paid for an HOUR of internet access every month. You booted up the modem (crap what a racket) and quickly downloaded your e-mail using the Eudora program. Then you quickly shut off the modem, replied to your e-mail and booted the modem back up to send and then shut it off again. Surfing? Fuggedaboutit! No online purchasing. Everything had to be brought back in a suitcase.

When you walked into town and saw a Telmex truck parked at the closest junction box, you absolutely knew that your phone, which was working when you left, would not be working by the time you got home.

No calls outside of your area code were free. None. You bought a LADA card at various small tiendas for XXX pesos and you had to use a special LADA phone booth to make the call. When the card was finished, your call ended. And I swear those LADA phone booths were erected at the busiest intersections and the noise made you have to repeat yourself often.

We've come a looooong way baby.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

I remember when the only way you could place an international call here in Sayulita was by going to the phone caseta/ice cream parlor and waiting your turn.

I remember the same here in Ajijic in a kioske on the plaza until the mid-90's....after that we could use the Lada phone booth on a corner there, if you could figure out how to use it!

Same here.... and when one traveled to smaller places there was only one phone in the village and there was often a line of people waiting. 

... and ditto Pete's comments about dial-up with Rod, followed by his point-to-point and line-of-sight towers and dishes.... but I'm not sure it was wifi Pete. But you worked/volunteered there so maybe youse is right and I'm and wrong.  

Anyway... them were NOT the good ole days were they?

Well the vehicles in the traffic jams were definitely smaller and most of them were VW bugs (including ours). Financing for autos was not available... but leaded gas was. :(

Sure ate a lot of eggs in restaurants during the first year because it was the only word I recognized on any menu. Lunch for TWO on the Jardin in San Miguel cost 100 pesos. And interest on an account at Lloyds was 35% (down from 42% in January of 1996 when I scouted the area). And we were able to buy a three bedroom 2 bathroom house in Atascadero for $80,000.00 U.S. dollars.

Lots of good things back then...

I remember being in a bank in Pochutla, Oaxaca back about 50 years ago to change some traveler's cheques (remember those?). There weren't even any teller windows, just a long counter. I was the only customer in the bank and there were 3 bank employees behind the counter, standing or sitting about 4 feet apart. I had to go to the first guy, where he authorized something and handed me back the paper, then move 4 ft down the counter to hand it to the next person, who stamped something, handed it back, where I again walked two steps and handed it to the 3rd person. It was hilarious.

• Haha 2