Chapala.com Webboard

Cafe/Baker SAVITA

lakeside7

Their bagels when they first opened were excellent.  Now they fall flat, literally.  No rise to them at all.

The cardamom rolls are good when eaten with a large cup of coffee.  Croissants filled/topped with fruit are usually quite good.  

Best cinnamon rolls are those from the small Seis Esquinas bakery across from the Guadalupe church.  12 pesos and they are quite large.  Fresh usually after 12:30.  And no raisins, a plus for me.  

I like the cinnamon rolls--they're made with croissant dough--but they're different from what most of us have learned to expect. For something more in line with expectations try the croissants, especially the almond ones. We think they are fantastic! Savta has an astoundingly wide selection of pastries to go with their espresso, often including something I'd never expect--or want--matcha croissants, topped with pine nuts. The sourdough bagels taste great, although, as others have commented, the last time we got some they were flat. Plus they have a good selection of craft beers, although not as good as The Spot bar on the Ajijic plaza. They also have some tasty and unusual sandwiches and I hear they now have a Sunday brunch. Closed Tuesdays, and the owner, Naz, keeps to their 8-6 open hours.   

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

https://www.facebook.com/Roles-de-canela-la-casa-de-cheliz--639277959904880/

I found these the best I've had...and she delivers too!

Thanks Alpha1 but cinnamon buns are a spur of the moment craving for me and not conducive to advance ordering. :) Imho, cinnamon buns should be sticky and gooey inside and out. But then I've had the best at the bottom of Blue Mountain from a woman who used to cook and sell them out of her own kitchen. Used to be located where Skiis Please is now. I sure wouldn't want to be washing her pans. ;)

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 10:42 AM, AndyPanda said:

Interesting that their page says they are closed every day except Monday.

Ha-ha--open every day except Tuesday.  I love this place, Naz's work ethic, his insistence on using pricier quality ingredients, the variety of goods not available anywhere else and the ambiance.  He's added outdoor umbrella tables and inside or outside you can have  a private conversation without interruptions  unlike the more public plaza spots.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 7:46 AM, cafemediterraneo said:

Ha-ha--open every day except Tuesday.  I love this place, Naz's work ethic, his insistence on using pricier quality ingredients, the variety of goods not available anywhere else and the ambiance.  He's added outdoor umbrella tables and inside or outside you can have  a private conversation without interruptions  unlike the more public plaza spots.

Well, I don't go there anymore, so perhaps someone who does could suggest they need to update their info.

• 1 year later...

We were regulars at the old location.  Went this morning to the new place.  Not impressed with either the location or the breakfast pastries.  There is only a narrow space in front of the counter and it was difficult to look at what appears to be a reduced selection.  No social distancing here.  :D 

Now there is absolutely no opportunity for parking for those who might come from further away. 

Even in the case it was obvious the pastries have shrunk drastically in size, but not in price.  Several we bought were overcooked to the point of having a burnt taste on the bottom or mostly thick and hard crust.

Have seen this too often here.  A truly great place gets very popular and then they decide they can get away with cutting quality and no one will notice.  We did and won't be back.   Disappointed to lose one of our favorites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Casa de Cheliz looks good!  Another great alternative, if you con't want to go to Chapala, is a great place across the street from the Catholic Church on Ocampo in Seis Esquinas. I highly recommend them!!  Go there about noon when they are pulling them out fresh from the oven ! YUM... Ask for "mas glazado"!

Prefer the taste and cost compared to SAVITA -- the Gringo "go to" place with Gringo prices !  Would not go to SAVITA for that reason ! 

To MC's point, how unfortunate it is that many places and restaurants start out with a favorable bang and then quickly go down hill in quality !  Happens too often here, where you do lose a lot of favorites !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mexijims1 said:

Casa de Cheliz looks good!  Another great alternative, if you con't want to go to Chapala, is a great place across the street from the Catholic Church on Ocampo in Seis Esquinas. I highly recommend them!!  Go there about noon when they are pulling them out fresh from the oven ! YUM... Ask for "mas glazado"!

Prefer the taste and cost compared to SAVITA -- the Gringo "go to" place with Gringo prices !  Would not go to SAVITA for that reason ! 

To MC's point, how unfortunate it is that many places and restaurants start out with a favorable bang and then quickly go down hill in quality !  Happens too often here, where you do lose a lot of favorites !

You are referring to Ajijic, I presume.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:42 PM, Ferret said:

I bought two of their cinnamon buns to go. Driest most tasteless pastries ever. YMMV.

I thought the same. I found a local bakery that delivers great cinnamon buns and other pastries...https://www.facebook.com/Roles-de-canela-la-casa-de-cheliz--639277959904880/

Not only are her prices reasonable but the product is excellent.

275368662_1315598592272810_1813273363691

• Like 1