Chapala.com Webboard

Ganador Premium dog food...Comments please???

Hola...I recently posted this:

Minnie is about 12 years old and has had some hip problems but have her on about 3 - 4 drops of 100mg CDB oil, plus half a 0.5mg Gluticort T pill from Dr. Pepe. This has seemed to work good for this situation. However recently she has been throwing up a couple of times a day large quantities of undigested food. I feed her a mix of dried food (Purina Dog Chow) and Pedigree Res en Filetes. My other 2 dogs are fine with this food and all 3 have been OK with it for years. Any suggestions before I have to take her to see Dr. Pepe?

I have now cut out most of the res and included more of the res liquid mixed with the kibble for her and it seems to be having a more positive result, although not 100% yet. Someone on the other thread suggested the Grandor Premium brand dried food. I would like to get feedback here regarding this brand and the "premium" price also. Gracias

I did mention it. I have no idea if it's "good" dog food, all I know is that my dog likes it. 

It's "Ganador" not Granador and as I recall it's about 750 pesos for a 16 kilo bag and about 500 for a 10 kilo bag. I only have one dog, so it takes about a month for her to go through the 10 kilo bag and I always transfer it to clean 5 gallon pails with tight fitting lids, so it stays fresh.

3 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Please expand...why do you call it JUNK? Does it have harmful ingredients for dogs?

42 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

On what do you base your assertion that it's junk?

Ingredients on label. Quality, %age and source  of protein / fat / etc.  ORDER of ingredients..... largest amount is always first. Test at home with one dog who had a hard to time gain weight on a better quality food (and recommended by a friend whose dogs it eat).  That dog liked it, but LOST weight.

Google dog nutritional requirements and ingredient discussions re: same.  Draw you own conclusions.

• gringohombre changed the title to Granador Premium dog food...Comments please???
18 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I did mention it. I have no idea if it's "good" dog food, all I know is that my dog likes it. 

It's "Ganador" not Granador and as I recall it's about 750 pesos for a 16 kilo bag and about 500 for a 10 kilo bag. I only have one dog, so it takes about a month for her to go through the 10 kilo bag and I always transfer it to clean 5 gallon pails with tight fitting lids, so it stays fresh.

I fixed the title. Gracias

I just bought a 10k bag at Walmart for about $500 the same price that I have paid for a 15k bag of Purina kibble. It shows 24% protean vs. 21% for the Purina, so maybe this is not a good sign. The photo on the bag shows chicken, fish and more and there are multiple claims of health benefits. I am going to try to wean my 3 dogs off the mix of dried food (Purina Dog Chow) and Pedigree Res en Filetes onto this alone to see how they do. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated. Gracias

4 minutes ago, Guiness said:

Purina is junk too. One of the very best dog food kibble is The Costco Kirkland brand. Lamb and rice or Chicken and Veg. Look it up on www.dogfoodadvisor.com

My dog wouldn't eat the Lamb and Rice at all, and neither would my neighbor's dogs.

She'd eat the Chicken one, but really didn't like it much.

And I really haven't seen any difference in her general health no matter what kibble I've fed her. She's 13 and has never had any health issues at all.

• gringohombre changed the title to Ganador Premium dog food...Comments please???