Chapala.com Webboard

Swimming lessons for toddlers

I'm going to live in the area for the next few months and I would like my daughter to learn to swim (She's 2 yo) . I would prefer someone that could come to our house but we are open to go to any swimming pool preferably in an open space (due to Covid).

Any recommendations?

52 yrs ago I started teaching Mommy & Me or something like that & adults usually non swimmers, my first adults were in their 80's. It was a blast, for all of us! Unfortunately we are looking at snow falling NOB. As I recall the 1st thing we did with every one was play motorboat. Thats played with the mouth blowing bubbles. Part of essential water accommodation. Sounds like you have pool, go for it, Dad or Mom (u have one of those names)

Look for a book called Watersafe Your Baby. I can't remember the author's name, but she is a swim instructor from California and developed this method, which doesn't teach swimming, per se, but teaches the child's body to automatically flip onto its back if falling in the water, where they can float safely. It's a wonderful program, takes about a week of 20 minute sessions to complete, and you can do it yourself. 

They can be taught to swim afterwards, but what this method does is make the child comfortable in the water, underwater, and ensure that your child won't drown if they find themselves in deep water, which is so crucial if you have a pool.

It will be a little harder with a 2 year old, as it's more of an automatic body-reaction thing than something intellectually explained, but you should still be able to do it as long as you can ignore any protesting the child does and just carry on with the daily routine.

I did this with my youngest daughter when she was 9 months old, and she basically taught herself to swim by the time she was 2 because she felt so at home in the water.

There is a pool in Riberas. Traveling east from Ajijic it is on the left side right after S&S Auto and Puritan Poultry. Sorry but I couldn't find any information for it.