Chapala.com Webboard

Largest (no pun intended) health condition that makes you more vulnerable for COVID?

Tingting

Whew, that was a long title!

This One Thing Makes You 2x More Likely to Die From COVID (msn.com)

I'm sure most of you have seen this in one form or another, but how many are actually trying to do something about it, health conditions permitting? For me, I find it sad that it took me decades to get proactive about my health, but that's another whine for another day. I'm not trying to start up any battles or angry discussions, I'm truly curious.

43 minutes ago, Tingting said:

Whew, that was a long title!

This One Thing Makes You 2x More Likely to Die From COVID (msn.com)

I'm sure most of you have seen this in one form or another, but how many are actually trying to do something about it, health conditions permitting? For me, I find it sad that it took me decades to get proactive about my health, but that's another whine for another day. I'm not trying to start up any battles or angry discussions, I'm truly curious.

Morbid obesity is a killer all on it's own. I could never understand how someone can be such a glutton as to have this condition and continue with it their whole shortened life.

morbidly obese chart.jpg

• Like 1

Well some people can quit smokes easily and some can't.  Losing weight is the same thing. Many of us are addicted to sugar but don't know it.  Many of us also have problems with serving size.  Go to Europe and plate size is much smaller. People in Europe comment on our serving size which tells me something.  Many of us  are hooked on Carb snacks like chips and puffs.  Some people have problems with body chemistry but not that many.   Now lets add the car culture to the above situations and we just don't get enough exercise which is a must for good health in my opinion.   

You are lucky if you have never had a weight problem Pedro.  I battle my weight constantly.

• Like 5

I've always been lucky in that I can eat everything and not gain weight. I have the opposite problem-I'm underweight, but can't seem to put on any pounds. That's not a brag-I look better with an extra 10 pounds, as I used to weigh, and wish that those who need to lose weight could just give me their extra 🙂

1 hour ago, lcscats said:

Well some people can quit smokes easily and some can't.  Losing weight is the same thing. Many of us are addicted to sugar but don't know it.  Many of us also have problems with serving size.  Go to Europe and plate size is much smaller. People in Europe comment on our serving size which tells me something.  Many of us  are hooked on Carb snacks like chips and puffs.  Some people have problems with body chemistry but not that many.   Now lets add the car culture to the above situations and we just don't get enough exercise which is a must for good health in my opinion.   

You are lucky if you have never had a weight problem Pedro.  I battle my weight constantly.

Ordinary up and down weight problem is not what I am talking about. Subjecting yourself to and maintaining MORBID obesity is what I refer too.

morbidly obese couple.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Morbid obesity is a killer all on it's own. I could never understand how someone can be such a glutton as to have this condition and continue with it their whole shortened life.

morbidly obese chart.jpg

There are a lot of reasons.

Here are three things I do that really help.  Weigh yourself in the morning every day. It can change the day for the better.   Also when shopping look at the label. It is amazing the things that have added sugar to them.  Learn to use Stevia.  I have found it best to use it with a little bit of cane sugar which seems to eliminate the bitter aftertaste. 

1 hour ago, lcscats said:

Here are three things I do that really help.  Weigh yourself in the morning every day. It can change the day for the better.   Also when shopping look at the label. It is amazing the things that have added sugar to them.  Learn to use Stevia.  I have found it best to use it with a little bit of cane sugar which seems to eliminate the bitter aftertaste. 

Be careful when using stevia. It interacts with some medications.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I would think smoking is way up there.

Actually, although I haven't read anything more about it lately, there were some reports several months ago that doctors were finding that the patients with COVID who were smokers did better than those who weren't. It sounds counterintuitive, I know, but they were postulating that there may be something about nicotine that the virus doesn't like or that combats it.

And COVID, although it is transferred respiratorily doesn't really seem to be a respiratory disease, like pneumonia is, but a circulatory issue. Patients can't breathe because their lungs are full of blood clots- their lungs are found to be as hard as cement in autopsies.

And plenty of people have had COVID without respiratory distress, but other symptoms. It's a really weird virus, that manifests differently in different people.

14 hours ago, happyjillin said:

I could never understand how someone can be such a glutton as to have this condition and continue with it their whole shortened life.

It isn't really gluttony. People who overeat to that extent and don't change their ways have mental and emotional issues they haven't dealt with. Like hoarders and shopoholics, they are trying to fill some kind of hole which can never be filled except by self-awareness through competent therapy or some major life-changing event.

What's always amazed me is that the human body can get that big without just exploding.

15 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Since Covid hospitalizes people with respiratory conditions, not coronary, or gastro, I would think smoking is way up there. Toting around a few, or even many, plump fat cells taxes the heart, but not the lungs so much.

This is not a lung problem, but the inability of the red blood cells to carry oxygen.  The lungs are just one of the organs that exhibit stress from oxygen deprivation and die off of damaged cells.   In obese, diabetic, etc people your body loses that capacity so the virus makes it much worse. In a healthy person the ATP from the mitochondria, which is used to power all of your cells, can carry up to 50 molecules of oxygen, in the obese it goes down to 2! Might be better to use hyperbaric oxygen chamber and sterilize it with UV in between patients....

• Like 1