Chapala.com Webboard

Starlink doubters

mexjerry

I'd love it if we had OTA internet here like they have in GDL.  Our students get far better service from such a provider there than we get from TelMex.   Their apartment is just outside of Chapalita and the provider has very strong and fast OTA for less than either CATV or TelMex.  And no requirement for hard wire, they just have a simple antenna.

Seems to be associated with Elon Musk.  Definite OTA via satellite.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/starlink-explained-what-to-know-about-elon-musk-satellite-internet-venture/

• Thanks 1

At this time it's a pretty steep option 'tho.  $500 for the gear and $99/month. With the growth of cellphone service and hotspots from said, and the number of RV 'resorts' that have better and better wifi service, I'll not be purchasing the Starlink. My trailer came with a wifi 'boost' device that REALLY works well in a campsite. 

Those with a Telcel wireless (cellular) internet modem can take it anywhere in Mexico and it should work as long as there is Telcel cell coverage.....which is pretty broad.

And it's pretty fast and lots of bandwidth / month too and much less $$.    Not equal to satellite of course....but pretty useful and flexible.

Wifi Móvil - Conéctate donde quieras | Telcel

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RickS said:

At this time it's a pretty steep option 'tho.  $500 for the gear and $99/month. With the growth of cellphone service and hotspots from said, and the number of RV 'resorts' that have better and better wifi service, I'll not be purchasing the Starlink. My trailer came with a wifi 'boost' device that REALLY works well in a campsite. 

Tell me about that wifi boost device you are using in your RV.  I would have PM'd this question to you but your PM isn't working.

My first post on here. Just ordered my StarLink dish yesterday! It will work great in Idaho and surrounding states! This is the only solution for rural areas. Ive had satellite internet before and switched to wireless broadband when it became available and was less money. I can take this anywhere in the northern USA and have unlimited internet. And as they add satellites I can go further south. The places I go I'm lucky to find cell service, forget internet. I've been waiting for this for years and the price isn't bad for what you get. Ive spent more than that using a hotspot through Verizon. Im new here and giving my uneducated limited experience!

• Like 1