Chapala.com Webboard

Making Gorditas Tomorrow

CHILLIN

I can't envision poppy seeds with masa.  I grew up on poppy seed rolls, rugelach with poppy filling and hamantaschen at home (Lithuanian family).  I love and have made lemon poppy seed muffins.  I love eclectic fusion dishes, but masa seems a stretch for poppy seeds.   

Buena suerte!

• Like 1

Had another pirate attack last night. Luckily just a minor nose bleed and sore jaw. My attackers? Well I think I have to find a bigger and deeper Arroyo.

Could make pozole with beef stock and fresh hominy? No, I still want gorditos, I don't which region claims this style. Make a ball of masa dough, start in the center with your thumb and spread out. Put filling in the hole, recover with the side dough, then fry on cast iron, non stick, or comal. Should always have cheese to melt and browned chiles and onions. Those on a tight budget, use boiled potato mini chunks as well.

Thinking now along the lines of gordas, small meat pies filled with Mexican seasoned beef and gravy with a masa dough top and bottom, or masa bottom shell and a rough puff pastry (wheat) for the top.

We were amazed how much beef stock, and still tasty beef, that 5 kilos of sliced beef neck bones can produce. They are by far the least expensive beef cut locally and less fatty than oxtails or short ribs. They were gently boiled for 5 hours. Pork neck bones are also full of flavor and work well while making chicken broth. The two compliment each other very nicely.