Chapala.com Webboard

2nd Stimulus Check

lakeside7

On 2/24/2021 at 11:48 PM, lakeside7 said:

Received a call this PM from Chapala Post office to say I had a registered letter

Thanks Uncle Sam for the 2nd check

What second check?

6 hours ago, dcstroker said:

$600 stimulus check. Remember the first one last year, $1200? Hopefully we'll be receiving the 3rd check,$1400, by the middle of March.

We received $1200. each last year. Are you saying you received $600. in addition to the $1200?

Yep, most everybody (but you?) got $600. Biden is now trying for the trifecta.... $1400 more to reach the $2,000 plateau that Democrats.... and Trump I might add.... wanted instead of $600.  A number of folks got the $600 last Fall in the form of a debit card. 

2 hours ago, gogirl said:

We received $1200. each last year. Are you saying you received $600. in addition to the $1200?

Last year everyone that was eligible received a check for $1200. Towards the end of the year everyone that was eligible received a check for $600 with the hope that an additional check for $1400 would soon be available. Unless something happens that $1400 check is supposed to go out towards the middle or end of March.

1 minute ago, RickS said:

Yep, most everybody (but you?) got $600. Biden is now trying for the trifecta.... $1400 more to reach the $2,000 plateau that Democrats.... and Trump I might add.... wanted instead of $600.  A number of folks got the $600 last Fall in the form of a debit card. 

I thought Biden promised checks for $2000, not $1400, no?

1 minute ago, dcstroker said:

Last year everyone that was eligible received a check for $1200. Towards the end of the year everyone that was eligible received a check for $600 with the hope that an additional check for $1400 would soon be available. Unless something happens that $1400 check is supposed to go out towards the middle or end of March.

Nothing...repeat nothing has been passed in that regard. Don't go spending it.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, dcstroker said:

No, he promised to send out an additional $1400 which along with the $600 would give the $2000.

...Careful...

"

"Biden promised $2,000 stimulus checks if Senate turned blue, what happens now?"

Eric Benninghoff  1/8/2021

4 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I do not believe a word coming out of that guys mouth, not that he understands what he is saying anyway!!!

4 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

...Careful...

Time will tell. Of course nothing is guaranteed and one would be foolish to spend what they don't have, counting chickens and all that. But as of now the signs are more favorable than not.

2 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

...Careful...

"

"Biden promised $2,000 stimulus checks if Senate turned blue, what happens now?"

Eric Benninghoff  1/8/2021

The amount has always been $1400... to go with the $600 sent out by the Trump Administration.... equaling $2,000.  The 'original' House version was $2,000 but to my knowledge Biden has always said $1400.

• Thanks 1

Sorry, but you're wrong. When campaigning in Georgia he said exactly what was referred to above. Lots of very upset Georgians who came out to vote for that exact reason. He may have not meant it, but he sure did say it.

Snopes admits he said it but claims people should have known it included the $600. Sounds like a typical politician to me.

It is all borrowed money, don't forget that.

I'm concerned as I think we should all be about whether this crazy borrowing will set off a massive devaluation of the dollar.  We still depend on our pension and SS for about half our incomes as do many others here I suspect.

If that happens, then the question follows will the Peso follow the dollar down.  Or will we go back to 10 Pesos to the dollar with prices that correspond to 20.  It sure won't be cheap to live here then.

I don't care what your politics are, this massive red ink for the last 20 years and now four administrations may not end well for all of us at all.  

• Thanks 1

I'd rather they 'print money' now to help small businesses stay viable; extend unemployment benefits; fortify the public health sector; and increase vaccine distribution, versus the huge (and unnecessary) 2017 tax cuts for large corporations and the nation's wealthiest citizens.  

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I'd rather they 'print money' now to help small businesses stay viable; extend unemployment benefits; fortify the public health sector; and increase vaccine distribution, versus the huge 2017 tax cuts for large corporations and the nation's wealthiest citizens.  

Which were followed by the highest employment in the history of America.  BTW, taxes on business are always taxes on their customers.  To a business, taxes are a cost like any other cost that is factored into the price of the goods or services.  In the end the customer pays and if the market won't support the required pricing, the business closes.  

Econ 101.

Remember that.  And the rich simply avoid taxes when they get too high.  That is also proven in history.  The mega rich are smarter than any government.  They always have been.  When it is cheaper to pay taxes than avoid them, they do.  Vice versa, they avoid.  Also Econ 101.

Anyway, that wasn't the point.  History shows us that the level of money printing going on up there for the last 20 years and over 4 administrations of both parties has invariably led to collapse of monetary value.  That is indisputable.  Sooner or later the piper has to be paid.  Put your politics aside and consider the implications for all of us.

Mexico by contrast is being far more responsible about incurring debt.  At some point, fiscal policy is reflected in the value of a currency.

3 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Which were followed by the highest employment in the history of America.  BTW, taxes on business are always taxes on their customers.  Remember that.  And the rich simply avoid taxes when they get too high.  That is also proven in history.  The mega rich are smarter than any government.  They always have been.

Anyway, that wasn't the point.  History shows us that the level of money printing going on up there for the last 20 years and over 4 administrations of both parties has invariably led to collapse of monetary value.  That is indisputable.  Sooner or later the piper has to be paid.  Put your politics aside and consider the implications for all of us.

You first.  Not everything is political, some things are factual.  The latest stimulus package helps those in need.  The2017  tax cuts helped those who were not in need.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

You first.  Not everything is political, some things are factual.  The latest stimulus package helps those in need.  The2017  tax cuts helped those who were not in need.  

I have and I don't view taxation as some sort of social policy.  It should exist only to pay for the needs of financing government.  Factual is that employment broke all records after taxes were adjusted to reflect what U.S. businesses are competing with around the world.  It become cheaper to bring jobs back and that started to happen.  That is a fact.  Also it is factual that the Reagan tax cuts resulted in more tax collection not less and it was determined the rich paid the taxes rather than avoided them. 

As did Kennedy's, don't forget.

Just as states that are the most competitive on tax and government policies are besting out their opposites, the same is true around the world.  Compare corporate tax rates in China with the U.S. and you will understand the significance of this.  

I realize this is an emotional topic for many.  Soak the rich feels good but never does good.  I suspect I share your concern about these mega billionaires and the concentration of wealth but as long as they can shift resources around the world there is little one or several governments can do about them.  It would have to be a global thing.  Much the same can be said about these huge global corporations.

As for the latest stimulus package, I suggest you check your facts with an actual study of what the money is actually being spent on.  Unless you consider those in need to be governments that have been less than responsible and a whole range of irrelevant pork, you will find the actual money going to those in need is a minority part of that legislation.  This is well illustrated as one amendment to it that has been suggested would allocate the same money one hundred percent to individual help and the amount rises to $10,000.

I'd be happy to continue this discussion with you via PM but we are drifting OT here so I'll finish here.

I responded to Bisbee.  And now I've invited her to continue the discussion via PM.  Same invitation goes to you.  I look forward to your rebuttal.

Is it political to be concerned that our retirements may be wiped out by the wanton money printing of the last 20 years?  Last time I checked this was equal opportunity paper hanging.  And it scares the crap out of me, I can't imagine how some can be so blase about it.  Think about what happens to so many here if your dollar drops 50 percent in purchasing power over a short period of time.  Prices here are now based on a peso around 20, imagine what the family budget looks like at 10 to the dollar. 

You've been reminded.  :D 

• Thanks 1