Chapala.com Webboard

Some Shaw channels not working

cedros

Those channels do not show as available when not: they show as having lost the signal. I spent a good deal of time with their tech support about this, and it all came down to bad weather and misaligned dishes as far as they are concerned. I could not, of course, tell them we are in Mexico where the sun was shining and the dish had not moved. So at the moment there is no answer. Even more curious: why do some people have certain channels and others do not, and vice versa?

54 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Those channels do not show as available when not: they show as having lost the signal. I spent a good deal of time with their tech support about this, and it all came down to bad weather and misaligned dishes as far as they are concerned. I could not, of course, tell them we are in Mexico where the sun was shining and the dish had not moved. So at the moment there is no answer. Even more curious: why do some people have certain channels and others do not, and vice versa?

It sounds like their aren't being honest with you -"bad weather and misaligned dishes as far as they are concerned"-seems unlikely. Why do some have some channels and others not? A closeby neighbour has a large dish and gets channels that I don't on my small dish. It could be a combination of moving to a new satellite that is farther north,  and what equipment people have-dish size and shape, type of LNB, receiver model, etc. If they tell us that it is because of moving to a satellite farther north many may cancel their accounts. I only get about 4 channels whereas before I probalby had 40 or 50. I hope to get a straight answer from Ajijic Electronics tomorrow.

Who knows how honest they are being, although they certainly have no reason to be diishonest unless they are trying to cover their butts regarding something that we should have been informed about. But the rest of your list of items is incorrect in my situation. I have the proper everything and the satellite has not changed nor have the channels been moved (at least not publicly), and you won't find an outcry of Canadian users just yet. P:erhaps more telling is that a number of people lakeside started complaining about this all at the same time within the last two weeks, and I find it highly unlikely that they all would have suddenly changed their dish, their connection, their boxes, the LNBs, etc.

Yes, the older model LNB is in use by me and most of us here, because unless something has changed, the only reason to get the latest LNB is to enable reception from the third bird. And no one south of Canada except along their border can get that bird. In my case, I made sure they know I have 600 series receivers and the older LNB, although of course that is clearly marked on my account.

Please let us know if Ajijic Electronics solves anything. (If they suggest upgrading the LNB, I would advise that you tell them only if it fixes the problem when you install it, thanks.)

Well I have the "newer" LNB on the 75cm elliptical dish and as of 10pm Sunday night I am still experiencing the channel loss.  Definitely do not have channels KTLA (246), 426, 445, 450. There might be more but I haven't gone through my whole channel list. This started happening Wed Feb 24 around 5pm. That afternoon I was watching the comedy channel (426) and the signal just went out. No fading, just out.

My condo is up north, some 140 miles south of the Canadian border. Sadly it is difficult for me to cross the border to get to my cottage (summer home) on Vancouver Island, because I am not a Canadian citizen. But at the cottage, on the Island, I can get KTLA. It is coming in right now on channel 246 on the classic channel listings. Newer users have been assigned different channel numbers for the same channels.  

Oh, and the Island, I have an old setup that is only pointed at the two satellites that are viewable in Mexico, I did not upgrade to the new LNB that also picks up the new Shaw Direct Satellite. My old LNB does not pick up feeds from Anik G1, just Anik F1R and Anik F2, the two satellites also viewable in Mexico.

Why did I not upgrade? Because I wanted to see what is/was available lakeside on Shaw. And also because I brought a DirecTV receiver up from my Seattle condo to my cottage. And ,between the two systems, I have way too many channels to choose from.

1 hour ago, mexbound said:

Well I have the "newer" LNB on the 75cm elliptical dish and as of 10pm Sunday night I am still experiencing the channel loss.

Yes, exactly my point, and thanks for telling us. Now everyone who is wondering is forewarned that upgrading or not is not the answer.

The sad point is that we thought we could get everything broadcast on the two older ShawDirect satellites as far south as Lake Chapala. And now I am hearing that at least some of you, if not everyone lakeside, is/are not picking up all the channels from the two older satellites. Are some of you lakeside still able to get KTLA? Or is this channel no longer receivable lakeside?  That is the question that  needs to be answered. Because if some of you are not, then what is needed is simply a larger satellite dish or two.

Up north, I use the 75E dish, but lakeside, I use two four foot dishes, one pointed at at the satellite Anik F1R at 107.3W and another at Anik F2 pointed at 111.1West. I had to give up my 75E lakeside, because it was too small. And too often the signal failed on some of the channels.

6 hours ago, johanson said:

The sad point is that we thought we could get everything broadcast on the two older ShawDirect satellites as far south as Lake Chapala. And now I am hearing that at least some of you, if not everyone lakeside, is/are not picking up all the channels from the two older satellites. Are some of you lakeside still able to get KTLA? Or is this channel no longer receivable lakeside?  That is the question that  needs to be answered. Because if some of you are not, then what is needed is simply a larger satellite dish or two.

Up north, I use the 75E dish, but lakeside, I use two four foot dishes, one pointed at at the satellite Anik F1R at 107.3W and another at Anik F2 pointed at 111.1West. I had to give up my 75E lakeside, because it was too small. And too often the signal failed on some of the channels.

I don't know what KTLA is so I can't answer that. I am probably not subscribed to it. But one neighbour still gets and another doesn't get TCM.

I just checked my TCM channel (Turner Classic Movies) Channel 491 and I am not receiving a signal. So that channel is also missing for me. So the people that are missing these channels lakeside, do you have a small satellite dish? The people that ARE receiving the "lost" channels (like cedros neighbor) do they have a large dish or two dishes? Here lakeside maybe it is the size of the dish that matters?

36 minutes ago, mexbound said:

I just checked my TCM channel (Turner Classic Movies) Channel 491 and I am not receiving a signal. So that channel is also missing for me. So the people that are missing these channels lakeside, do you have a small satellite dish? The people that ARE receiving the "lost" channels (like cedros neighbor) do they have a large dish or two dishes? Here lakeside maybe it is the size of the dish that matters?

The Dish size made a difference to me years back before I upgraded to two 4 foot dishes, each pointing at a separate satellite. I have never had a problem lakeside since. I don't know about the latest problems down there as I am waiting up north for my Covid-19 vaccine shot/s before I return home to Ajijic.

5 hours ago, mexbound said:

It might be.

So I went to see Michael and Mario at Ajijic Electronics this morning and they have no idea what is going on. Michael says his Shaw is working fine. Mario (who hooked up my system here) is comng out soon to check mine over. Maybe I will try connecting my other receiver up first.

57 minutes ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Technician came Saturday realigned the satellite dish slightly… All channels back to normal .

Maybe an earthqauake shook a bunch of dishes.

I was just talking to Ajijic Electronics and they have done a number of dish realignments and that has solved the problem of missing channels. He thought maybe some kind of earth bump caused the problems.

Gosh, I remember back in late perhaps Dec 2000, when the first Star Choice (now Shaw) was launched and when the programming started in I believe February 2001. It brought many of us programming from our home town TV stations for the first time. It was wonderful, and kept us (still keeps us) connected to our hometowns.  

As I sit here in Seattle some 18 days before I get my first Covid-9 vaccine shot, I was really scared at first when it was suggested here that we were loosing reception of a handful of channels lakeside. I thought it might be the beginning of the end for Shaw Direct lakeside. I am so glad that the problem is a weak signal. And that all that was needed was tweaking the dish and/or upgrading to a slightly larger satellite dish to ensure that one does not loose their satellite signals at even the threat of rain.

I have almost never had an outage, even when it was lightly raining with my 4 foot in diameter satellite dish. I had tried the Shaw 75E satellite dish, but I could barely get a signal. So, following the advice of experts, I upgraded my dish size as I mentioned above to a circular 4 foot in diameter Ku band satellite dish with the appropriate LNB/s.   

I hope to see you all lakeside in April, once I get my second covid-9 vaccine shot.

I think it is a bit early to say that "tweaking the disk" will fix this issue. I'm on the skeptic side of saying a dish alignment will fix this. I think we are still trying to figure out the problem.   I would love it to be just a dish alignment fix.  Let's see who gets an alignment that fixes the problem.

Oh, and when I am Lakeside and have a problem with my satellite signal, if I can not solve the problem myself, I call Ajijic Electronics at 376-766-1117. They have been installing Satellite Dishes for as long as I have been coming lakeside in 1997 and they know their stuff. Oh, and they speak excellent English as well.

On 2/24/2021 at 8:12 PM, cedros said:

Both the national CBC news Channel and the national CTV news network aren't working tonight. This is unusual. Anyne else have the same problem?

I looked up sunspots & auroras activity.  There have been solar storms the last few days, " a prolonged period of moderate southward directed magnetic field "    " there is a coronal hole that has moved to the center of the sun facing earth so in a few days we might see another impulsive ramp up from slow to fast solar winds"    storm G2 was happening last night.

Right now all Ch. are working fine but did not early this morning.