Chapala.com Webboard

Some Shaw channels not working

cedros

All of this is so strange. I never lost any of the Channels either at the cottage on Vancouver Island (these days occupied by relatives) nor in Seattle. And I understand that some of the folks lakeside, didn't loose any signals either.

A question Paco Loco, what type and size of satellite dish are you using? Those I know lakeside, who have not lost any signals were using satellite dishes with a diameter of 4 feet or larger, which is much larger than the Shaw Direct 75E satellite dish that I use up north.

• Like 1

I did. Proper adjustments brought back my favorite missing channels. The adjustment is tricky, because getting the strength up on some channels means losing some strength on others. Shaw has obviously changed their pattern.

Now some boxes in the same house react differently, with one showing the channels at night and the others only during the  daytime. The signal strength drops completely on those at night, which is what most people have been reporting.

If you previously had an acceptable dish setting, note that there is room for improvement in many cases.

On the channels I do receive, I get a signal strength of between 74 and 80. On the channels that stopped working last week I get 0. This is with a 75E dish.  I wonder what Shaw did with these missing channels. Going from a watchable channel last week to a signal strength of 0 this week is weird.  I would have been less concerned if I was getting a "weak" signal strength of 40 - 60 where a tweek of the dish could fix it. I'm concerned if I have my dish re-aligned that my currently good signal strength channels would drop to a lower signal strength and start pixelating. Might just forget about those missing channels and keep my dish as-is.

Mexbound: The 75E is great for Canada and the Northern US but it is not large enough for lakeside. I abandoned that dish years ago and upgraded to a larger dish. I highly recommend that you check with your local satellite dealer and upgrade to a larger size dish. 

My new larger dish is 122 cm in diameter. which happens to be about 4 feet in diameter. With this larger size dish, I have not had the type of problems you are having.

With the 75E, I had signal strength problems.

• Like 1

The guys from Ajijic Electronics showed up today finally-Tony and Ivan. They say they are very busy.

They think Shaw has rotated the satelite a bit. That is all. So for people with a large dish Ajijic Electronics can adjust for this rotation. But for people with a small dish it is difficult to get the missing channels back.

I have a small dish so I will have to move.

Thanks for sharing, Cedros. Sorry that you are going to have to move. Did Ajijic Electronics tell you what they would charge to upgrade you to a larger dish? 

I would hope that the cost to upgrade would not be so high as to make it necessary to have to move.

Best of luck

6 minutes ago, johanson said:

Thanks for sharing, Cedros. Sorry that you are going to have to move. Did Ajijic Electronics tell you what they would charge to upgrade you to a larger dish? 

I would hope that the cost to upgrade would not be so high as to make it necessary to have to move.

Best of luck

I did not ask what they would charge to upgrade to a larger dish as my landlord here would not allow it. I sold a larger oval disk last year to Melannie.

I know with this panoply of problems, people will be rushing to get a larger dish. Watch prices go even higher than they have been.

I wouldn't tell my landlord. I'd just do it. I live here, not him, and it doesn't change the roof except for a larger footing... save the small dish and change it back when you do leave.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BeanRoy said:

I know with this panoply of problems, people will be rushing to get a larger dish. Watch prices go even higher than they have been.

I wouldn't tell my landlord. I'd just do it. I live here, not him, and it doesn't change the roof except for a larger footing... save the small dish and change it back when you do leave.

I felt I had to tell my landlord first. He does live here. A larger dish would have been fine but he has a thing against them.

Such is life. When I look out over the sea of rooftops of houses with small dishes, large dishes, rooftop patios, sunscreens, and solar arrays, my dish doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

I'd also say as a landlord, I'd have to recognize that having a fully working Shaw setup is more attractive to the next potentioal renter.

• Like 1

In the old days before Star Choice, now Shaw Direct, we used to have C-band satellite dishes and they were 10 to 16 feet in diameter. And people are complaining about going up from a 75E to a 4 foot in diameter satellite dish?  They have got to be kidding.

7 hours ago, johanson said:

Mexbound: The 75E is great for Canada and the Northern US but it is not large enough for lakeside. I abandoned that dish years ago and upgraded to a larger dish. I highly recommend that you check with your local satellite dealer and upgrade to a larger size dish. 

My new larger dish is 122 cm in diameter. which happens to be about 4 feet in diameter. With this larger size dish, I have not had the type of problems you are having.

With the 75E, I had signal strength problems.

You are absolutely correct Pete, it´s the dish size.  Like you, I have the large dish and no problems at any time, get everything that Shaw offers.

• Like 1

johanson & slainte39: Not correct. The larger standard eliptical Shaw dish has always been perfectly capable of getting better than 80% signal on all channels from the F2 satellite. Until now. Clearly Shaw has realigned that satellite and changed something in the channel mapping to cause this. It couldn't be more obvious, with a whole bunch of users suddenly reporting the same issues at the same time.

I was watching the signal level on an NBC channel tonight, reading 82, when it suddenly dropped to 0 and went black. Now that's what has me curious.

51 minutes ago, rckrckr said:

I have a large dish and have lost many channels. It ain't the size that's the problem. 

I am up north right now and I can only tell you that a friend with  two 1.2 or 1.5 meter in diameter satellite dishes, one pointed at Anik F1R and the other at Anik F2 is getting  uninterrupted signals from these two satellites.

I also understand that Ajijic Electronics (the local satellite dealer) has had to fine tune some of the satellite dishes that were pointed at Anik F1R  and F2 and that once fine tuned, everything was fine.

It is not sun outages that most people are experiencing. You should read the rest of this thread. (EDIT: although today that could have been what happened to you.) It is a change in signal from the birds. Further, most people are losing the channels in the evening, as the signal drops out on them... not during the day. No one yet knows what is going on.