Chapala.com Webboard

Just for fun - don't have a heart attack!

(Medical alert:  If you're a true believer and have any pre-existing co-morbidities, your doctor would certainly suggest  you don't read this.)

Dire climate predictions from Scientists and Politicians which haven't come true...  (it's a long list)  

But, as is often said of recent, "It's science!  It must be true."

https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-years-of-failed-eco-pocalyptic-predictions/

• Sad 2

The Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI) is a non-profit libertarian think tank founded by the political writer Fred L. Smith Jr. on March 9, 1984, in Washington, D.C., to advance principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty.

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Competitive_Enterprise_Institute

The Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI) is a advocacy group based in Washington DC with long ties to tobacco disinformation campaigns and more recently to climate change denial. It calls itself "a non-profit, non-partisan research and advocacy institute dedicated to the principles of free enterprise and limited government. We believe that individuals are best helped not by government intervention, but by making their own choices in a free marketplace." The Competitive Enterprise Institute is an "associate" member of the State Policy Network, a web of right-wing "think tanks" in every state across the country.

Too bad this has nothing to do with Ajijic and will most likely get cancelled during the upcoming scrum.

That quote comes from sourcewatch.org described as follows:

SourceWatch is owned by the Center for Media and Democracy (CMD), which is a progressive nonprofit watchdog and advocacy organization based in Madison, Wisconsin. CMD has been documented to be funded by the Open Societies Foundation (Soros) and the Tides Foundation.

2 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

The Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI) is a non-profit libertarian think tank founded by the political writer Fred L. Smith Jr. on March 9, 1984, in Washington, D.C., to advance principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty.

Is the list correct or not?  Ad hom is not an answer.  

It seemed cooler around here this winter or maybe I'm just getting older.  Finally, 80 today, loved it.

La Niña. a colder water condition in the pacific, made for a pretty dry "winter" here and to the north.  

1 minute ago, AngusMactavish said:

Sorry, still not an answer as to whether the claims these predictions were made are correct.  And Wiki is not a real source.  Read up on how its postings are generated.

Looking forward to your rebuttal the list of claims and claimants.

Just now, AngusMactavish said:

I quoted my quote's source. Read at your discretion.

It is a description of the source.  I am looking for a rebuttal of what the source claimed about failed climate predictions and predictors.

Your turn.

Just now, Mainecoons said:

It is a description of the source.  I am looking for a rebuttal of what the source claimed about failed climate predictions and predictors.

Your turn.

Tequila?

That's five minutes I'll never get back.

I looked at the list and found 50 year old newspaper articles about individuals making predictions. Nothing that I saw has become unquestioned dogma in the scientific community. Maybe now we should have a list of all the times that the Horse and Sparrow Theory has panned out. Probably best to not even mention predictions made by individuals in the name of religion.

You can believe anyone you like. I choose to believe Ajijic resident, Dr Don Aitken. He is an internationally recognized expert on alternative energy and climate change and has spoken regularly at Open Circle.

19 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I am confused, are you saying there is something wrong with that philosophy or are you agreeing???

10 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I am confused, are you saying there is something wrong with that philosophy or are you agreeing???

Quote: "...  to advance principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty."

This is not a philosophy. It is an ideology. 😊

39 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Quote: "...  to advance principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty."

This is not a philosphy. It is an ideology. 😊

Now I am really confused!!! I see that you are quoting another poster (Angus Mactavish)...but my question still is (to both or you)...do you agree, or not with this IDEOLOGY? I do because it is the foundation of the country that I am a citizen of...The USA!!! 

37 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

OK...but my question still is...do you agree, or not with this IDEOLOGY?

No. Untethered capitalism can be soulless and needs government oversight to help keep them from raping the citizens of every penny they have.

5 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

No. Untethered capitalism is souless and needs government oversight to help keep them from raping the citizens of every penny they have.

So you do not believe in "principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty."  That's OK also because I also believe in FREE SPEACH!!! And that's all I am going to say on this subject because of the policies of this board.  

• Like 1

Some of you argue that the “source” of this list is "bad" (aka: not aligned with your preferred/political point of view) implying thus, that anything FROM that source MUST then be bad/wrong. Or arguing if there were/weren't other, concurrent prognostications that were right. Some have attempted to discredit the articles because the author(s) aren't recognizable (by you) therefore, again, the article can't have validity – thus bad/wrong.

These knee-jerk reaction-posts aren't examples of thoughtful consideration (though they are the most commonplace posting herein), or even reasonable responses. They miss the point(s) entirely, exhibit significant intellectual and analytical short comings, or if you prefer, simply express dogmatic leanings which are threatened by anything contradictive.

Misdirection is a poor but common substitute where/when a valid argument isn't known or available.

The source, CEI, didn't write ANY of the articles. All it did was search them out and put them together. The point isn't “arguing” that the authors of the articles were right or wrong, nor, if the sources quoted by the authors are right or wrong, though history has proven they were completely wrong.

The point is, many, well know people and numerous, well known, accredited and in some cases, “worshiped” newspapers and cable news stations, such as CNN, Fox, The New York Times and Time Magazine, etc., printed (or noted) these articles (often again and again), quoted the sources (giving them credence) not the authors of, and pushed the information into the minds of the masses, of which you are a part.

One of those sources was AL Gore, who's predictions have so far, proven to be complete B.S. (that's not Bachelor of Science). And in his case, it takes little research to discover his economic interests in having a nation and/or the world believing his misrepresentations and falsehoods.

Sources for those articles included: a biologist from Stanford University, a scientist from the National Center for Atmospheric Research, another from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and Columbia University, scientists from Brown University's Department of Geological Sciences, a Professor from University of Michigan, a Deputy Minister of Canada's Environmental Agency, a $537 Million Dollar (1980 dollars - present approximate equivalent today: $1.7 Trillion USD) study ordered by the US Congress (Politicians), A Director of NASA's Goddard Institute of Space Studies and more...

During some time frames, these reports were about Global Warming, others about Global Cooling. All within a couple of decades! Up? Down? Which is it? Did is change since five years ago?

Fact: Climates Change! Today's meaning of this phrase is something akin to “End of the world” (Sky-is-falling). But that's just the current political redefinition, or application, when in fact, climate change is nature; it is natural and constant since time began and will remain so regardless if you buy an electric car or continuing to burn fossil fuels.

Causes of said change include changes in the Earth's magnetic field, which, in case you aren't up to speed, is happening as we speak. The magnetic North Pole is moving so fast the last few years that the world's maps, which are routinely update every ten years or so (for Magnetic Declination adjustments) had to be updated "early" to avoid possible accidents in the shipping industry and other's for which magnetic navigation is routine.

And if you're still reading, relax, it's true, the climate IS changing! You think something about that is new? Aren't there deserts today which in the past were green lands? Or even underwater? When has “sea level” been static over the eons? Sea level going up? Sea level going down? Yes. It is. Shit happens.

I personally, believe, that man's antics, his (and hers) inclinations to rape, pillage and plunder any and every natural resource; to pollute, disfigure and destroy lands, waterways and oceans, for immediate profits has an affect - it is certainly an additional cause.

But this still misses the point.

And that is, perhaps, that most, if not all, the scary, dreadful, the sky-is-falling sound-bites, 24/7 full color charts and graphics and "science" sound-bites from the same groups of Politicians, Scientists, Experts and "accredited" news sources (all of whom have either/both an axe to grind or an economic interest) – and not just the so-called Republicans sources - (New York Times, Al Gore, Stanford University, University(s) of California, NASA, et al), is nearly all false or contains false implications/data. Live with it.

Further, the fact that most of it is false, doesn't mean there is no bit of truth in the prognostications. If you research what propaganda is, and how and why it work so well, you'd know/learn that the most successful lies have a small measure of truth. More importantly, the more frequently the lie is told, again and again, 24/7, day after day, month after month, the greater the number of people that will believe them. (Trump's Golden Showers in a Moscow hotel?) Including you. At least, those of you who qualify as “people”.

The late, great Doctor, Albert Schwteizer was once asked, "What's wrong with Men (people) today?". He replied, "Men simply don't think". Switch sides! (There are more than one) Join the side that actually uses their minds for something more than gossip and B.S., who choose to consider, to think about what's being said by the so-called “experts”, and whom, have the ability to come to rational conclusions of their own. You might just find you sleep a little better.

Listening to and believing whatever your particular group's Demigod 's are saying, has nothing to do with "thinking", and a lot to do with the premeditated, intentional formation of a belief regardless of any degree of falsehood from someone who does not have your best interests at heart. Refusing to consider there could well be, rational, factual, different points of view, and even, mutually exclusive yet, co-existing truths, you are destined to live the beliefs those Demigods are pushing, and don't for a minute try to think they don't have their own, personal agendas which in the end, are just as harmful to you and the guy you've been arguing with, over the same topics, hours upon hour, day after day, on this web board.

Ah, forget all that.  Keep on jumping down the throats of any and everybody else that doesn't agree with you.  Who cares who's actually right?  The LOUDEST and most PROLIFIC voices can nearly always stifle the truth, so, keep up the effort, as certainly at some point, only one voice, one thought, and one belief are all that a community will ever have or need. Eh?

Take Pride! Keep repeating that which has no value and offers no common good, short of heart-burn for someone.  After all, maybe you're just a bunch of old farts with nothing better to do than sit at the computer for hours and hours just waiting for someone to post something that you can argue with, someone you can call names, and generally, just burn time till you die? 

That's a real contribution to helping improve the world!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1