Chapala.com Webboard

Just for fun - don't have a heart attack!

(Medical alert:  If you're a true believer and have any pre-existing co-morbidities, your doctor would certainly suggest  you don't read this.)

Dire climate predictions from Scientists and Politicians which haven't come true...  (it's a long list)  

But, as is often said of recent, "It's science!  It must be true."

https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-years-of-failed-eco-pocalyptic-predictions/

• Sad 2

The Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI) is a non-profit libertarian think tank founded by the political writer Fred L. Smith Jr. on March 9, 1984, in Washington, D.C., to advance principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty.

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Competitive_Enterprise_Institute

The Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI) is a advocacy group based in Washington DC with long ties to tobacco disinformation campaigns and more recently to climate change denial. It calls itself "a non-profit, non-partisan research and advocacy institute dedicated to the principles of free enterprise and limited government. We believe that individuals are best helped not by government intervention, but by making their own choices in a free marketplace." The Competitive Enterprise Institute is an "associate" member of the State Policy Network, a web of right-wing "think tanks" in every state across the country.

Too bad this has nothing to do with Ajijic and will most likely get cancelled during the upcoming scrum.

That quote comes from sourcewatch.org described as follows:

SourceWatch is owned by the Center for Media and Democracy (CMD), which is a progressive nonprofit watchdog and advocacy organization based in Madison, Wisconsin. CMD has been documented to be funded by the Open Societies Foundation (Soros) and the Tides Foundation.

2 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

The Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI) is a non-profit libertarian think tank founded by the political writer Fred L. Smith Jr. on March 9, 1984, in Washington, D.C., to advance principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty.

Is the list correct or not?  Ad hom is not an answer.  

It seemed cooler around here this winter or maybe I'm just getting older.  Finally, 80 today, loved it.

La Niña. a colder water condition in the pacific, made for a pretty dry "winter" here and to the north.  

1 minute ago, AngusMactavish said:

Sorry, still not an answer as to whether the claims these predictions were made are correct.  And Wiki is not a real source.  Read up on how its postings are generated.

Looking forward to your rebuttal the list of claims and claimants.

That's five minutes I'll never get back.

I looked at the list and found 50 year old newspaper articles about individuals making predictions. Nothing that I saw has become unquestioned dogma in the scientific community. Maybe now we should have a list of all the times that the Horse and Sparrow Theory has panned out. Probably best to not even mention predictions made by individuals in the name of religion.

19 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I am confused, are you saying there is something wrong with that philosophy or are you agreeing???

10 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I am confused, are you saying there is something wrong with that philosophy or are you agreeing???

Quote: "...  to advance principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty."

This is not a philosophy. It is an ideology. 😊

39 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Quote: "...  to advance principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty."

This is not a philosphy. It is an ideology. 😊

Now I am really confused!!! I see that you are quoting another poster (Angus Mactavish)...but my question still is (to both or you)...do you agree, or not with this IDEOLOGY? I do because it is the foundation of the country that I am a citizen of...The USA!!! 

37 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

OK...but my question still is...do you agree, or not with this IDEOLOGY?

No. Untethered capitalism can be soulless and needs government oversight to help keep them from raping the citizens of every penny they have.

5 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

No. Untethered capitalism is souless and needs government oversight to help keep them from raping the citizens of every penny they have.

So you do not believe in "principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty."  That's OK also because I also believe in FREE SPEACH!!! And that's all I am going to say on this subject because of the policies of this board.  

• Like 1

Although born in the US, I grew up in Bermuda, a tiny speck if an island (21 sq. miles) in the middle of the Atlantic with the nearest land mass (N. Carolina) about 600 miles away. The land is mostly flat, a few feet above sea level with the highest point at a little over 200 ft. where the towering Gibbs Hill Lighthouse stands. I still have family there and recently asked my brother how they were dealing with the rising sea level. He burst out in uncontrolled laughter and said "yes, we will all soon be huddled on the top of Gibbs Hill under the lighthouse!". As AlongTheWay adroitly puts it above, we should all take a fresh look at these claims since there are many competing interests involved including social and political status, but most importantly our old friend MONEY!!!