Chapala.com Webboard

Expats & dual citizens give up on Mexico, go north to get the vaccine

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Ferret, looks like Pfizer is #1 on the list obviously underwritten through prepurchase of does.

Looks like you're splitting hairs here.  This is a guaranteed market that would have underwritten development.

You can look at it that way if you wish to do so. I call it backing a winning horse. On May 15th, 2020 the OWS was announced. The Pfizer agreement was implemented on July 22nd, 2020. No money was given by the U.S. based on the agreement beforehand... only after receiving approval AND doses.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-agreement-us-government-600

Under the agreement, the U.S. government will receive 100 million doses of BNT162, the COVID-19 vaccine candidate jointly developed by Pfizer and BioNTech, after Pfizer successfully manufactures and obtains approval or emergency use authorization from U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The U.S. government will pay the companies $1.95 billion upon the receipt of the first 100 million doses, following FDA authorization or approval. The U.S. government also can acquire up to an additional 500 million doses.

On 2/26/2021 at 7:19 PM, Mostlylost said:

Yes, we are all aware. I say again, that description says nothing about the statement: "did not say the resulting product had to work." In fact, it actually stipulates the vaccines accepted must be proven effective. So why are we repeating these links?

But since this thread has turned a corner, let me add: A well-researched and substantiated article in Rolling Stone recently in fact tells that the vast majority of pharma fund very little of their own research, with most of it being subsidized by the government. "What Americans need to understand about the race to find vaccines and treatments for Covid-19 is that in the U.S., even when companies appear to downshift from maximum greed levels — and it’s not at all clear they’ve done this with coronavirus treatments — the production of pharmaceutical drugs is still a nearly riskless, subsidy-laden scam."

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/big-pharma-covid-19-profits-1041185/

An example: "Gilead, a company with a market capitalization of more than $90 billion, making it bigger than Goldman Sachs, develops an antiviral drug with the help of $99 million in American government grant money. Though the drug may cost as little as $10 per dose to make, and is being produced generically in Bangladesh at about a fifth of the list price, and costs about a third less in Europe than it does in the U.S., Gilead ended up selling hundreds of thousands of doses at the maximum conceivable level, i.e., the American private-insurance price — which, incidentally, might be about 10 times what it’s worth, given its actual medical impact."

On 2/26/2021 at 6:20 PM, BeanRoy said:

I can confirm of course the huge allotment of funds. I think we all know this. I can find nothing that answers the critical part: "did not say the resulting product had to work."

The money was given,guaranteed, whatever you want to call it. They were told to go for it in "warp speed" and there was no "out" for the government if they failed. Of course, no product that didn't work would be used, if that is the thrust of your argument. R&D was covered and then IF it did work, additional contracts to actually purchase were part of the deal. Not complicated but also not how any other vaccine had ever been developed. Creative thinking. Much like the problem that was solved by the same person. The City of New York was having a terrible time keeping their public skating rinks open. They turned to this same man. His answer? He contracted with the Toronto Maple Leafs contractor and the problem was solved quickly. "Go with the pros" was the answer when local government was totally unable to fix the problem. "Bring in the experts". Imagine if the US government had decided to try and develop a vaccine on their own.

• Like 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u-s-authorizes-johnson-johnson-s-covid-19-vaccine/ar-BB1e4UNU

And another one that did not get OWS money for development (aka only purchase agreement AFTER if it got authorization and doses were received) has just been authorized for use in the U.S. It is the one shot dosage.

You're right, it has turned the corner.  So let's circle back as the saying goes.

Make your own call on this, we will go north for our vaccines.  Among other things, we maintain our full Medicare coverage and I have no problem using it as needed for this purpose.  After 12 years here, we use the local folks for most medical but when we think a higher level is warranted, we go north for that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

You're right, it has turned the corner.  So let's circle back as the saying goes.

Make your own call on this, we will go north for our vaccines.  Among other things, we maintain our full Medicare coverage and I have no problem using it as needed for this purpose.  After 12 years here, we use the local folks for most medical but when we think a higher level is warranted, we go north for that.

You won't need to use your Medicare or other insurance for the vaccine in US, it is free for all.  We finished our Pfizer 2-dose regimen last week; the 2 trips to the US were worth it to us.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RickS said:

Curious.... for others.  Did you have to get an 'appointment' either before or once there or could you just more-or-less do a 'walk-in'?  You had/have a DL but do you still have a Fl. address of record?

You need appointments at this time even at the "huge vaccination events"

Every state has it's regulations and individual counties, and vaccination centers have their own. Walmart in Texas needed only photo id & SS number. CVS in Texas needed a Texas ID. Vaccination event in San Antonio Tx.  Govt issued photo ID (Mexico passport ok) also no doctors letter for Texas list of health problems your word is ok. 5 of my nephiews (all under 65) flew up and got vaccinated.

23 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

The money was given,guaranteed, whatever you want to call it. They were told to go for it in "warp speed" and there was no "out" for the government if they failed. Of course, no product that didn't work would be used, if that is the thrust of your argument. R&D was covered and then IF it did work, additional contracts to actually purchase were part of the deal. Not complicated but also not how any other vaccine had ever been developed. Creative thinking. Much like the problem that was solved by the same person. The City of New York was having a terrible time keeping their public skating rinks open. They turned to this same man. His answer? He contracted with the Toronto Maple Leafs contractor and the problem was solved quickly. "Go with the pros" was the answer when local government was totally unable to fix the problem. "Bring in the experts". Imagine if the US government had decided to try and develop a vaccine on their own.

Their is no "thrust" and there was no "argument". It was a statement that simply was skeptical of your claim. And rightly so.

• Sad 1

On 2/28/2021 at 11:21 AM, RickS said:

Curious.... for others.  Did you have to get an 'appointment' either before or once there or could you just more-or-less do a 'walk-in'?  You had/have a DL but do you still have a Fl. address of record?

My wife and I got our 2 jabs in Miami, we have a Condo but "preference" because our grand daughter works for the Miami fire department and we "jumped" the line yes we both eligible, like 70+ and 80+ years old. The drive thru..... started at 7am and inc the wait 15/20 mins to ensure no bad reaction , we left at 8.40am great operation with army and  civilian and volunteers participation a slick operation. I have "heard" that the availability here at Lakeside could be the end of summer! who knows