Chapala.com Webboard

Excess deaths well above those of other countries; coronavirus czar unsurprised.

Jim Bowie

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/excess-deaths-well-above-those-of-other-countries/

Excess deaths well above those of other countries; coronavirus czar unsurprised

Deaths last year were 52% higher than previous years putting the rate of excess deaths well above that in countries with the worst outbreaks.

Hugo López-Gatell says his conscience 'is very clear'.

This country simply lacks the medical resources, the compliant population, high level of public health, and the safety net needed for lower numbers.  Even at that the excess deaths amount to 0.25 percent of the population over a year, pretty moderate by the historic norms of pandemics in poorly prepared populations.

Most people here don't have the option to stay at home and wait it out, it is either work or starve.  There is no unemployment "insurance" here.  Most people here simply will not voluntarily give up their lives because politicians tell them they need to.  They react with passive resistance and go right on away from the prying eyes of government.

One can bitch about Mexico all they want and play the blame game and name call but the truth is these politicians know the reality they are dealing with and for the most part they are simply accepting things as they are and relying on covid to run its course like any other pandemic.  They know they are not going to compel millions of Mexicans to change deeply held cultural mores and habits overnight.  

The good news is this community has shown that when you do have a general culture of prevention the numbers have been quite low even though our demographic profile is not a good one for covid.  We also for the most part have the financial independence, small households, healthy life styles and education levels that enabled us to quickly learn how and implement measures to protect ourselves and at least for some of us, ignore the politicization of treatment strategies that work.

If one wants or expects the rigor of a Canada one needs to go there to get it.  You won't get it almost anywhere in Mexico.  Insulting the Mexicans for being who they are simply shows ignorance and arrogance.  it escapes me why anyone would want to live someplace where they have so little respect for the people as some here seem to.

• Like 4

It's just about being safe and staying safe. Nobody has ever asked people not to work but I sure as hell expect them to take the precautions necessary. Is it really too much to ask? Four months ago, I wanted some upholstery done. Told the young man what I was interested in and he said he would bring samples. He showed up without a mask. Uh uh, no way. The electrician I use wears a mask properly. The young man who walks my dogs wears a mask properly. My housekeeper wears a mask properly. It's possible and doable. Those that don't will suffer economic sanctions.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ferret said:

It's just about being safe and staying safe. Nobody has ever asked people not to work but I sure as hell expect them to take the precautions necessary. Is it really too much to ask? Four months ago, I wanted some upholstery done. Told the young man what I was interested in and he said he would bring samples. He showed up without a mask. Uh uh, no way. The electrician I use wears a mask properly. The young man who walks my dogs wears a mask properly. My housekeeper wears a mask properly. It's possible and doable. Those that don't will suffer economic sanctions.

It is not your place to expect and demand of them to behave as you wish.  Yes, as a guest here it is too much to ask.  They don't share your beliefs on what is safe or the importance of it.  That is their right, it is their country.

If you don't care for how the person works, don't hire them.  Some here put far too much energy into trying to make others behave as they think they should and far too little energy into keeping the focus on self protection including where one should be living under these circumstances.

Rather than stress out over the behavior of Mexicans it might be better to go someplace where one feels much more comfortable and where there is much more agreement with one's opinions and beliefs.

• Sad 3

You sure managed to twist what I wrote. I DON'T stress over it, I just avoid those businesses who don't practice proper precautions. It's really a very simple philosophy and I have no interest in making others behave themselves. I can express observations and make choices based on those observations,  can't I? I've lived full time in Mexico for 24 years now. I sure as hell don't need your "go back to where you came from" attitude.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

You sure managed to twist what I wrote. I DON'T stress over it, I just avoid those businesses who don't practice proper precautions. It's really a very simple philosophy and I have no interest in making others behave themselves. I can express observations and make choices based on those observations,  can't I? I've lived full time in Mexico for 24 years now. I sure as hell don't need your "go back to where you came from" attitude.

From your very frequent posts bemoaning that Mexicans and some expats don't view this situation as you do I am simply suggesting that if one isn't able to accept the people and the culture as it is an expat has the option to go somewhere where they find it more acceptable.  Constantly posting here about what they are not doing to your satisfaction will change absolutely nothing.  Personally speaking I would find it difficult to hold such strong attitudes and remain here.  As you said, the emphasis needs to be on personal choices.  I think for the most part that is what the expat community is doing and it appears to me this approach has worked quite well.  Again personally speaking, because of this I believe we are as well off here as anywhere.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Constantly posting here about what they are not doing to your satisfaction will change absolutely nothing.  Personally speaking I would find it difficult to hold such strong attitudes and remain here. 

Too funny! Are you interested in following your own advice?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

From your very frequent posts bemoaning that Mexicans and some expats don't view this situation as you do I am simply suggesting that if one isn't able to accept the people and the culture as it is an expat has the option to go somewhere where they find it more acceptable.  Constantly posting here about what they are not doing to your satisfaction will change absolutely nothing.  Personally speaking I would find it difficult to hold such strong attitudes and remain here.  As you said, the emphasis needs to be on personal choices.  I think for the most part that is what the expat community is doing and it appears to me this approach has worked quite well.  Again personally speaking, because of this I believe we are as well off here as anywhere.

WHAT!?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Does this include POTHOLES and LOCKDOWNS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

This country simply lacks the medical resources, the compliant population, high level of public health, and the safety net needed for lower numbers.  Even at that the excess deaths amount to 0.25 percent of the population over a year, pretty moderate by the historic norms of pandemics in poorly prepared populations.

Most people here don't have the option to stay at home and wait it out, it is either work or starve.  There is no unemployment "insurance" here.  Most people here simply will not voluntarily give up their lives because politicians tell them they need to.  They react with passive resistance and go right on away from the prying eyes of government.

One can bitch about Mexico all they want and play the blame game and name call but the truth is these politicians know the reality they are dealing with and for the most part they are simply accepting things as they are and relying on covid to run its course like any other pandemic.  They know they are not going to compel millions of Mexicans to change deeply held cultural mores and habits overnight.  

The good news is this community has shown that when you do have a general culture of prevention the numbers have been quite low even though our demographic profile is not a good one for covid.  We also for the most part have the financial independence, small households, healthy life styles and education levels that enabled us to quickly learn how and implement measures to protect ourselves and at least for some of us, ignore the politicization of treatment strategies that work.

If one wants or expects the rigor of a Canada one needs to go there to get it.  You won't get it almost anywhere in Mexico.  Insulting the Mexicans for being who they are simply shows ignorance and arrogance.  it escapes me why anyone would want to live someplace where they have so little respect for the people as some here seem to.

I feel the federal goverment lacks initiative in most things they do and that is the major problem. Very little common sense used and politicalize everything. Disaster after disaster. Covid-19 pandemic response is just one of them. Where the hell are the vaccines?

3 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

I feel the federal goverment lacks initiative in most things they do and that is the major problem. Very little common sense used and politicalize everything. Disaster after disaster. Covid-19 pandemic response is just one of them. Where the hell are the vaccines?

I feel you are probably correct.  When it comes to government Mexico is no Scandinavia, that's for sure.

It is what it is, however.

• Thanks 1