Chapala.com Webboard

local audiophiles

Alpha1

We have surround sound bars on our monitors but they are no match to an AV amp with calibrated speakers. Our amp is an Onkyo, 5.1 dolby, with all the options including a microphone for auto balancing everything, ethernet/ internet access. I have kept a monster bass 10 " Paradigm subwoofer from the late 1980's. The problem is that since we downsized here, this is way too much system for us now. Better for a small bar, nightclub, restaurant, or gawd help the neighbors, a party house.

I should lend the sub to Maincoones for the next time his noisy neighbor gives him heartburn!

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

We have surround sound bars on our monitors but they are no match to an AV amp with calibrated speakers. Our amp is an Onkyo, 5.1 dolby, with all the options including a microphone for auto balancing everything, ethernet/ internet access. I have kept a monster bass 10 " Paradigm subwoofer from the late 1980's. The problem is that since we downsized here, this is way too much system for us now. Better for a small bar, nightclub, restaurant, or gawd help the neighbors, a party house.

I should lend the sub to Maincoones for the next time his noisy neighbor gives him heartburn!

LOL I already have a 1500 watt 15 inch SVS monster sub that I have to restrain or the neighbors get annoyed with me.  My wife gets very annoyed when I crank it up to the point one's insides are vibrating.  

The bar flies across the street are already deaf.  :D 

On 2/24/2021 at 12:28 AM, happyjillin said:

I recently bought a Polk Magnifi Max surround sound bar on Amazon, which I had Michael Merriman set up for my smart TV, DVD player and 70's 3 speed turntable and cassette deck. I have a vast collection of 78,45 and 33 1/3 records and many cassettes. Absolutely fantastic system!

here are all the goodies with the Polk sound bar and wireless subwoofer except for the 2 wireless back speakers appropriately  set up at the back of the room.

entertainment unit a.jpg

20 hours ago, catbird said:

I'm using the KEF LS50s in stereo driven by a Marantz AV reciever. Surround is too much trouble for me.

9ED5B3A0-AF8F-424B-8FDD-7D592CB25DBB_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.95f550f1f03e12eb157c0123d6c812ea.jpeg

I'm contemplating  purchasing the KEF LSX Wireless Streaming Loudspeaker System, which are related to your LS50's. Have you had the opportunity to listen to the LS 50 wireless or  KEF LSX, and give me some idea of how they compare?

1 hour ago, moonhill said:

I must've missed it, but what was the OPs question? 

I'm simply looking for ideas and comparisons about various setups as a forum to learn what direction to take regarding my own equipment. Investigating the world of music streaming and active speakers, a much different world than what I am accustomed to with passive speakers.

3 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

I'm contemplating  purchasing the KEF LSX Wireless Streaming Loudspeaker System, which are related to your LS50's. Have you had the opportunity to listen to the LS 50 wireless or  KEF LSX, and give me some idea of how they compare?

I haven't heard either the LS50 wireless or the LSX. They are both relatively new models. The LS50 wireless has received great praise though. I really like my LS 50s. I've had quite a few speakers in my time, some a lot bigger and more expensive and I like the KEFs better than all of them. They''re very clear and detailed. And the small size make them easy to move and live with.

I had an Onkyo system with a number of fine speakers of different sizes. 7.1 surround when I bought it. Upgradeable to the latest technology. They did not tell me that upgrades (for example, new DACs) would require hardware changes, just like on a PC motherboard, starting at $200 and more. Going to 9.1 and then 12.1 was a big deal, and also super expensive. Eventually I realized that unless I wanted to build a home theatre room, the extra cost and speakers just wasn't worth it.

Here in Mexico, I just don't want to blast out that much sound these days, so I stick to a basic 5.1 system.

13 hours ago, catbird said:

I haven't heard either the LS50 wireless or the LSX. They are both relatively new models. The LS50 wireless has received great praise though. I really like my LS 50s. I've had quite a few speakers in my time, some a lot bigger and more expensive and I like the KEFs better than all of them. They''re very clear and detailed. And the small size make them easy to move and live with.

Sent you a PM.

17 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

I'm simply looking for ideas and comparisons about various setups as a forum to learn what direction to take regarding my own equipment. Investigating the world of music streaming and active speakers, a much different world than what I am accustomed to with passive speakers.

I use a Bluetooth soundbar when I want to stream, which I do from my phone or using Plex or some similar software on the PC. I read the stereo review magazines and have seem some really expensive streaming receivers, but to me it's overkill. Sonos is a popular name for home streaming, but I have not had hands-on. I will say that BT speakers are far, far better than they used to when they first came out. A nice way to add a sub and surrounds without the wires. No detectable bandwidth hiss.

37 minutes ago, BeanRoy said:

I use a Bluetooth soundbar when I want to stream, which I do from my phone or using Plex or some similar software on the PC. I read the stereo review magazines and have seem some really expensive streaming receivers, but to me it's overkill. Sonos is a popular name for home streaming, but I have not had hands-on. I will say that BT speakers are far, far better than they used to when they first came out. A nice way to add a sub and surrounds without the wires. No detectable bandwidth hiss.

I use an Echo Link with a separate DAC. A Schiit Modi 3; yes that the name of the company. WiFi transmission gives substantially greater bandwidth and sound quality over BT.

7 hours ago, BeanRoy said:

Here in Mexico, I just don't want to blast out that much sound these days, so I stick to a basic 5.1 system.

Or as MC found with his 15" monster bass, when the water in the swimming pool begins to shimmer and shake - time to turn it down!

When we lived in Puerto Vallarta, a restaurant kitchen below was getting loud and unruly. So I played full volume a F series jet doing a low and close flyover. No kidding, half those kitchen workers dropped to the floor with arms over their heads. I moved the speakers back to thier original location. The restaurant owners son (world's biggest jerk) came up to have a word with me, puzzled to see just a Sony boom box.

• Like 1

LOL.  I didn't turn it down until the water sloshed OUT of the pool.  :D 

Sounds like you applied a Mexican solution to that restaurant.  When we had a local bluegrass gathering at a friend's place in a rather dense colonia near Ajijic Centro the neighbor proceeded to blast his own music.  We got the hint and moved.  You didn't note whether the restaurant turned it down or not.

Love the airplane flyover, brilliant!

Self and neighbors planning to apply that solution locally if a certain local bar goes back to too much late and loud.  Already selected some seriously obnoxious Chinese music.  Got the watts for it too.  😱

36 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Self and neighbors planning to apply that solution locally if a certain local bar goes back to too much late and loud.  Already selected some seriously obnoxious Chinese music.  Got the watts for it too.  😱

If I was your neighbour I would certainly love that. Not.