Chapala.com Webboard

For those who registered online for the vaccine. My wife and I signed up two weeks ago.

elevator

Peer reviews such as in Lancet are based on TRUST.  Lancet does NO research, NO testing.  Lancet was burned last year in a peer review of a Covid treatment because the underlying data was faulty. This did not come to light until after Lancet gave a positive review, when a few scientists involved in the study expressed their concerns over the study submission.  Lancet retracted its approval. 

Peer reviews approve the process of the study submitted based SOLEY on what the study includes in their documentation.  If they fudged the numbers, Lancet will not know that.  

So, you either TRUST the makers of any particular vaccine or you do not.

In the cases of CanSino and Sputnik, the manufacturers are the Chinese and Russian governments given that both are totalitarian regimes. 

I don't trust either of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not going to base my confidence in a vaccine on what kind of government produced it.  That's just inserting politics into what, IMO, should be a choice based on reliable research.  Let's hear about the latter.  So far, there seem to be many conflicting opinions about whether some of the well known vaccines are or are not safe to administer to those in the truly "elderly" group.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lancet is a well-respected, science-based peer journal that has been around since 1823. It relies on fact-checking and the integrity of the researchers that provide sources. To say it was "burned" is overstepping. No journal is perfect. To pick it out and politicize it is baseless. 1823 is a lot longer than you or I, neither of us ever having made a mistake by accepting someone else's work, of course. I would rely on its reporting without hesitating, certainly when compared to most of the Googlers here.

• Like 7

Gringal , I do not think Astrazenaca is unsafe, but various countries do not want to administer it to older folks because there is not enough data proving it is effective for older folks, hence some European countries are not vaccinating their older population with of it.It is an extra measure of  security but they ae vaccinatng younger groups with it. 

I will take the Sputnikand will not take Astrecasenaca until we know more. The Chinese i will not take until we know more..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Out1 said:

I think when it is time to get the shot any approved vaccine is better than nothing. 

Over half of Russians won't take the Sputnik vaccine.  Among other things they didn't complete efficacy and safety studies before roll out.

Brazilians found Chinese vaccines not very effective.

No thanks to both.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 10:09 AM, RickS said:

Just a curiosity but.... does anyone know any expat who has contracted the virus locally?

We got covid here at the end of January last year.....before it was even supposed to be here:/ My family was visiting from the US, flew down from WA state and we were vacationing in Manzanillo, so we really do not know where we contracted it. My symptoms were worse than anyone else in our household. I even went to the Dr. and I don't ever do that unless I feel really bad:/ The Dr. of course did not test for covid, and really I don't think Mexico had tests then. I hate to think we spread it to anyone else but we may well have:( We had to go to the US in May to care for my mom at the end of her life and we had the antibody test then which confirmed that we had Covid-19 at some time in the past and we are sure that was when. I was quite sick for 6-7 weeks, seriously bad cough, constant nausia, loss of taste and sense of smell as well as a very weird depression that I have never experienced in any way previously and I still have some lung involvement I think. All 6 of us recovered however and no one died. That does not mean that I would willingly go through how ill I was at the time however and I will avoid it like the plague it is! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1