Chapala.com Webboard

For those who registered online for the vaccine. My wife and I signed up two weeks ago.

elevator

Yes.  But don't hold your breath on anything happening too soon.  They've started with  high risk areas..... but it's been a total mess with people waiting in line for HOURS etc etc.  Leave them to it for a while and hope they get a better system going by the time it's our turn!

• Thanks 1

It has been weeks for me and friend also. My friend got a phone call and they told her if they have not heard from them again in 2 weeks to go to a hospital and get the vaccination???? Time is up in a few says but........

I don't think they have the vaccine here yet. 

19 minutes ago, RickS said:

Just a curiosity but.... does anyone know any expat who has contracted the virus locally?

Yes.  A family of expats.  They were prepared with the medications recommended by practicing doctors who have treated covid successfully and were over it in less than a week.  I think I got it from the guys rehabbing my pool last year, used the same medications and protocols and was over it also in less than a week.  Everyone involved self isolated for several weeks to make sure it was completely gone.

Later last summer, one of the family members learned that several in the family up north were showing symptoms, immediately flew up there smuggling the medications in a Tylenol bottle, treated all of them with the same result except for one who was more advanced in the illness and that person, who was also over 70, required a longer recuperation.

Even with little or no treatment, it isn't the death sentence for the vast majority that the chicken little crowd makes it out to be.  But to get the best outcome, one also needs to ignore those who politicized effective treatments, now being recognized widely as such, and be proactive in one's own care.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Mexicans though. We lost - died - 8 friends to Covid-19 and one of my sister-in-laws might have  chronic lung damage from Covid-19. All here where we live  - San Luis Potosi. Two were very close friends we saw often. All were on ventilators in the Covid-19 INSABI hospital except my sister-in-law, a heart surgeon friend treated her at home with medicines. She will be on an oxygen concentrator for now.

Update: She doesn't need to be on it anymore and things are looking up for her.

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2021 at 2:54 PM, elevator said:

And we have not heard from them. Has anyone gotten the confirmation phone call.

Yes, got my call 2 1/2 weeks ago. The caller confirmed (1) I still wanted the vaccine and (2) I was physically able to get to the designated vaccination site. She also said the second of two calls should come by mid-March, assigning a vaccine date and time for the designated "local" site. 

AstraZeneca has been having a hard go of it for a while. I don't think that it has passed muster in the US nor in Germany. Specifically:

AstraZeneca’s vaccine has been generating negative headlines in Germany since January, when the company said it would significantly cut planned deliveries to the European Union. Days before the first doses were delivered, Germany’s vaccine commission recommended that the AstraZeneca shot be given only to adults up to age 65, citing a lack of sufficient data on its efficacy in older people, advice that was followed by Chancellor Angela Merkel’s government.

France , Swizterland and other countries in Eupoe are not using Astrecazeneca on people older than 50 in some countries and 60 in others and here they are using it on old folk.. Something if off somewhere..

Also a couple of private doctors told me they are not offered vaccines , only the doctors from IMSS, Srguro popular and pulic hospital are being vaccinated..  anyone knows if this is correct?

4 hours ago, MtnMama said:

I'll take AstraZeneca over Sputnik any day. I read that Putin won't even take Sputnik.

The majority of Russians won't take it.

https://www.businesstoday.in/current/economy-politics/russians-dont-trust-sputnik-v-vaccine-59-percent-wont-take-the-shot-even-for-free/story/424219.html

• Haha 1

On 2/23/2021 at 6:39 PM, cedros said:

It has been weeks for me and friend also. My friend got a phone call and they told her if they have not heard from them again in 2 weeks to go to a hospital and get the vaccination???? Time is up in a few says but........

I don't think they have the vaccine here yet. 

So we went to the Centro de Salud yesterday in San Juan Cosala and they said no not yet.

4 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I do not mean to contradict anyone here or the validity of this news article that is dated over 2 months ago. I think cultural factors based on the lives and suffering of many Russians as well as their overall distrust of their government can be attributed to this number. The article also states that only 27% of people believe in a Covid vaccine. The lowest in a poll of 27 countries. I do not know if they mean all Covid vaccines or just the Sputnik vaccine. I think it is difficult to determine as I believe this story was poorly written.

I was a pharmaceutical representative for many years and I do have friends who are physicians and professors at teaching hospitals. The consensus from them is that they have recommended that my wife who is a Mexican national should not hesitate to take the Sputnik vaccine. 

There was a peer review in the British medical journal, The Lancet that concludes the vaccine is very safe and effective.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00191-4/fulltext

Just today, Dr. Vincent Rajkumar a highly respected doctor and professor at the Mayo Clinic who has been the lead investigator on a number of clinical trials released his meta analysis. He is on a review panel at the Mayo Clinic that is studying Covid vaccine efficacies. His meta analysis revealed after analyzing the data from:

Astra Zeneca Oxford, Pfizer, Moderna, Novovax, Sputnik V, and J & J that -

In randomized trials with 6 different COVID vaccines involving ~175000 persons: 0 hospitalizations for COVID in persons who received the recommended schedule of vaccine. That is ZERO. 

I would say that these are very encouraging results. I can not say, nor did he, what would happen in the future or if there is any evidence that the new variant strains were included (I would guess no) but based on these two things as well as information released by other countries about Sputnik V safety and efficacy that if it is available here you should get it.

I was lucky enough to go to the Texas and stay for 3 weeks where I got the Pfizer vaccine. I did have some real fatigue for about 4 days after the second vaccine. But as my friends and any physician who is familiar with vaccines (basically every physician) that a strong reaction to a vaccine like a Covid vaccine means that it is working very well and I hopefully will have very strong protection from the virus. One can only hope.

• Thanks 2

I'll take AstraZeneca over Sputnik any day. I read that Putin won't even take Sputn

will take Sputnik but not astrecazenaka. in france Astrecazenaca is not administered to people over 60 and in Italy over 50.. , it is adminstered right now to younger health personel.