Chapala.com Webboard

ALERT!!! Driver's License renewal domuments

Natasha

Hubbie's appt.  for today in Chapala.  All documents ready as I'd just done this in November. Our turn. Telmex bill as proof of address was rejected..first time ever in my life here for any "proof of address" requirement.  Why?  When the bills arrive, often page one is advertising for  buying more products from them. I remove and separate into 3 long pieces to use back sides for lists, etc. (just as I had done for mine in November).

Young lady refused becasue first page with names, address,   due date,  amount, etc. was really .... in the top right corner ......   "Page 2 of 5". She insisted she needed all five pages or would not accept. Asked if we had elec bill. Yes, but not in our nameDoesn't matter. If it has your address on it I'll take it  Hello???

So off to San A to dig out bill and make copy.  Back to her.  At lest she let us right in.  BUT TAKE NOTE EVERYONE:  I did not see ONE person get past her without one or more trips (some 3 or even 4) for more doc's, more copies, or other reasons.  So double check before you go.  And make sure your CURP is the whole page one and not the little card we got years ago!

• Sad 1

@NatashaExact same thing happened to me a few months ago when I brought the only meaningful page of our TelMex bill.  Luckily I also had a copy of our house deed (escritura).  

They also gave us a hard time with the CFE bill...it was our most recent bill so we didn't understand his problem after some discussion and us pointing out the different dates on the bill and what they meant.  A very nice Mexican customer asked if he could help, and after a lengthy discussion said the agent said it was too old, though the customer said he agreed with us that it wasn't too old. 

Our CFE bills come every other month and the only thing we can think of is, he either wasn't doing the math right on the number of days from the 'read' date or he was incorrectly looking at the start date of that 2 month cycle.  We pointed out that CFE can't send the bill until after they read the meter, and that date was well under 60 days old.  

In the end he accepted it, but he insisted on keeping the original CFE bill, not the copy.  

Renewed today and had no problem with any of our documents.  They accepted the most recent CFE (February) for my husband and a copy of it for myself.  Only problem was I had to wait for them to reprint the license because the first one said Pase instead of Paseo.  We passed the wait time watching the guy flunk everyone that was trying to take the driving test and parallel park.

• Haha 1

They aren't supposed to keep the originals of ANY bill. You take the original to show proof that the copy is real. Stupid system.

Unless, we no longer have to keep every single Telmex or CFE original bill to prove residency and exception from Capital Gains when selling your home???????

Agree mudgirl. Petty bureaucrat wielding their power in a heavy handed manner.

If you present a utility bill or bank statement you need all pages as the further pages have the digital signature / bar / QR codes which makes a "copy" an original then validating the black and white copy as a digital original

Took  me 3 trips there before they accepted my Tel-Mex, which is only bill in my name as proof of address.    They were impossible !  Seemed like they took delight in rejecting it.

First time, I just had front page with my name and address.  Second time, I had entire document, BUT because Tel-Mex made typo on front page  saying that it was page 2 of 4, they rejected the fact that the entire bill was only 3 pages, although I tried to explain several times that this was the entire bill and the typo was a mistake.  The supervisor came out and looked and it and said " falta pagina cuatro" despite the non-existence of a page 4. 

So, I went back home another time and this time took a previous month's bill that was correctly labeled as being only 3 pages and each page was chronologically ordered.

Don't forget to take the original and a copy !!!  

I wish  we could have drivers licenses longer than 4 years.

Regarding what documents are needed, in addition to your infamous proof of address; you will need original and copy of:  your passport, your Immigration Visa, your CURP number, and the original copy of your proof of payment (but no copy needed).  

You can pay before your Sec of Transportes visit at the Recaudadora on the last block of Degollado (on the right) in Chapala, or at Banamex.  

• 4 weeks later...

Took our 18 year old Mexican twin Goddaughters to get their drivers licenses in Chapala Friday. All paperwork walk good and they passed the written test. We watched the guy observing the driving part. He did not pass even one person on the parallel parking. Nor did he watch as the drivers drove the course in the parking lot. ALL he watched was an episode in futility as everyone tried to park in a space that was so small most of us would not even attempt to park in on the street. They get one more free try next Friday. 

Making an appointment online is the easiest part of the process.   Having to deal in person with those working at the Sec de Transportes was a horrible experience !!

Still think they take delight in rejecting us !!  Kind of a bureaucratic power play !!!  SAD to have to be subjected to this treatment.

And , my recollection of last time they were open (8 yrs ago), was at least some of the people spoke some English.   Not a lick of English among this current bunch of employees. 

9 minutes ago, mexijims1 said:

Making an appointment online is the easiest part of the process.   Having to deal in person with those working at the Sec de Transportes was a horrible experience !!

Still think they take delight in rejecting us !!  Kind of a bureaucratic power play !!!  SAD to have to be subjected to this treatment.

And , my recollection of last time they were open (8 yrs ago), was at least some of the people spoke some English.   Not a lick of English among this current bunch of employees. 

Do you speak a lick of Spanish? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mexijims1 said:

Yeah, fortunately more than a lick.   But, I normally do not respond to moronic questions like yours !!   

You seem like such a pleasant fellow. I can’t imagine why you have such a difficult time getting through transactions here. 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

I am going to ask this once more. What documents do I need as a RENTOR? Clearly I do NOT have a CFE or Telemex bill with my name and address. Does anyone know what I can use to verify address?

Got to City Hall in Chapala and get a "Comprobante de Domicilio"     (proof of address)  People at front desk will tell you where to go.  Tale along photo I.D., your lease (not really "valid" but will help, and any other Mexican I.D. with your address on it.  I did this for someone YEARS ago but can't remember if I went only to be translator, or if I had to testify that what they said was true.