Chapala.com Webboard

Dog throwing up undigested food

Minnie is about 12 years old and has had some hip problems but have her on about 3 - 4 drops of 100mg CDB oil, plus half a 0.5mg Gluticort T pill from Dr. Pepe. This has seemed to work good for this situation. However recently she has been throwing up a couple of times a day large quantities of undigested food. I feed her a mix of dried food (Purina Dog Chow) and Pedigree Res en Filetes. My other 2 dogs are fine with this food and all 3 have been OK with it for years. Any suggestions before I have to take her to see Dr. Pepe?

44 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

My older dog was doing that. Cut out the canned food and see if it happens just with the kibble. It worked for mine.Older dogs, being less active, don't need such a protein-rich diet as younger ones.

Thank you, I will try that. Also since she is used to this mix, do you know of any other "wet" food to add to the kibble that will take down the protein? Gracias

Maybe I should think about changing all three to a similar diet if this presents a problem with older dogs. As I said Minnie is around 12, El Duke is probably around 10 and Chiquita Banana is the youngster at about 6 years old. I am a little unsure about their ages since they are all rescue dogs in one way or the other (another story). Is there a better kibble for this other than Purina Dog chow? Also switching to a little chicken broth will save me some money...the canned dog foods are expensive!!! Gracias

I used to buy whatever kibble was on sale, aside from the really cheap stuff. Sometimes Purina, sometimes Kirkland. My dog was young and energetic and had no medical issues. 

But what I found she likes the best now that she's 13, and seems to do well on, is Ganador Premium from Walmart. 

I even splurged a couple times and bought her really expensive all natural kibble, but she didn't like it and would leave it sitting in her bowl until she got really hungry.

I also have a rescue dog. I bought the Diamond brand and it took him over a year to eat it. Finally I put some bacon grease on it and he would gobble it down.  Then I noticed that the cat's bowl was always empty, which is not the cat's habit. First i tried to dissuade him from eating it, then I did some research.  Seems that smaller dogs do well on cat food, but not the reverse.  So now they all eat Whiskers and he's enthusiastic about eating that kibble....and his scratching has stopped too.

16 hours ago, cafemediterraneo said:

bought the Diamond brand and it took him over a year to eat it. 

I'm not surprised he liked it with the bacon grease.

But I read years ago that you shouldn't buy more dog food than your dog can eat in a few weeks, especially in the summer. Apparently the oils in it go rancid, which is a health hazard to dogs, just as rancid oil is to humans.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 6:52 AM, cafemediterraneo said:

I also have a rescue dog. I bought the Diamond brand and it took him over a year to eat it. Finally I put some bacon grease on it and he would gobble it down.  Then I noticed that the cat's bowl was always empty, which is not the cat's habit. First i tried to dissuade him from eating it, then I did some research.  Seems that smaller dogs do well on cat food, but not the reverse.  So now they all eat Whiskers and he's enthusiastic about eating that kibble....and his scratching has stopped too.

Too much protein in cat food for dogs.  Feed dogs dog food.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Yo1 said:

Too much protein in cat food for dogs.  Feed dogs dog food.

I was hesitant to feed him catfood and tried to dissuade him from eating the cats food,but I googled it and it is not unusual or unhealthy for dogs esspecially smaller breeds. The reverse is unhealthy for cats.  The dog just doesn't like dogfood.  Maybe i should feed him tortillas, the preferred food of street dogs--ha-ha.  It wasn't because of the age of the food, he didn't enjoy it from the get-go. And I got the turkey-rice blend thinking i was doing him a favor....seeing how much he eats now, I feel sorry for insisting on it.  He was having to get allergy shots for his scratching and now he's fine....

Some dogs just won't eat things they don't like, regardless of how hungry they are. My dog has gone 2 days without eating (I was curious to see how long she'd hold out) because she didn't like the kibble I'd bought. And she doesn't like kibble in general- she prefers people food 🙂  And she loves the cat's food. I feed them both at the same time and my dog will wait, ignoring her own bowl of food, to see if the cat left anything in her bowl. Only then will she start eating her own food.

And she also really likes tortillas.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 7:27 AM, cafemediterraneo said:

The reverse is unhealthy for cats. 

I don't think dog food is unhealthy for cats, it just doesn't have a high enough protein content. My cat ate dog food for a year and suffered no ill effects, but she's not a pampered house cat- she's a hunter and kills and eats mice, lizards, etc, so she got plenty of protein.

Why don't they make mouse, rat and bird flavored cat food? 🙂

It's not like salmon or chicken is what a cat in the wild would normally catch and eat.

• Sad 1