Chapala.com Webboard

health care insurance

Sturdley

Our Canadian extended health coverage expires on March 8.  In the past we didn't bother getting coverage for the last few weeks of our Mexican stay, choosing to self insure.  However as we are now getting older we will be looking at insurance options.  What are your recommendations  as to who we could contact for short term health insurance options?

We're Canadian and have been here for 15 years and pay out of pocket and that works for both of us and  me medical treatment needs are constant and what some would consider enormous for many things. I am 77 and my wife is 70. She has heart issues,other more minor ongoing things, and we bought a pacemaker here for her.

Andre Bellon, great guy, told me none of the local insurers will cover anyone who has had, or still has, heart problems. They do check with your doctors, you have to sign a form allowing them to do that.

The way private health insurance is setup in this country is to begin young, and they carry you all the way through even if you do develop heart problems. People seeking coverage, while running the last few yards, are not covered or prohibitively expensive. That is changing as the Mexican population is living longer, but that is the mindset you are up against.

Public or universal health insurance will cover you, but for some unknown reason, the current Presidente is choking the life out of them financially.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Andre Bellon, great guy, told me none of the local insurers will cover anyone who has had, or still has, heart problems. They do check with your doctors, you have to sign a form allowing them to do that.

The way private health insurance is setup in this country is to begin young, and they carry you all the way through even if you do develop heart problems. People seeking coverage, while running the last few yards, are not covered or prohibitively expensive. That is changing as the Mexican population is living longer, but that is the mindset you are up against.

Public or universal health insurance will cover you, but for some unknown reason, the current Presidente is choking the life out of them financially.

That is the whole idea of how insurance, of any kind, works. The many who have no claims pay their premiums so that the few who do have claims are taken care of. When, and if, you need help the money is there. Letting people buy in "when the hurricane is days away" destroys the whole model and will result in the insurer not being able to pay claims. I know, it's "not fair" but neither is life in general. They're still working on how to solve the problem of different skin colors.

You may what to just pay out of pocket expenses... for BIG expenses think about getting GOFUNDME ins..that seems to have been very successfully for a few "Medically Financial Stressed" out Gringo's...serious find some policy that will not strat going thro the roof when you hit 70 and then into space at 80, life is getting tough for oldies who try to live on a basic pension...One serious recommendation, regardless where you come from NOB MAINTAIN YOUR HEALTH CARE INSURANCE, in latter years that could turn out to be you cheapest and best service...now you will hear various "experts" options I am no expert but can share what has happened to me...Good luck and Good health

• Like 1

If you have done due diligence and made arrangements to have your own funds for medical expenses before moving here you won't have to hit up everyone with GOFUNDME. . Some of us were astute enough to do this. Yes my expenses and my wife's have been quite large and  because I did due diligence I don't have to hit on a whole bunch of strangers nor my family and friends for that matter nor pay HUGE PREMIUMS to insurers.  Again, I am Canadian where med was covered for everyone by income taxes. I still pay those and get nothing in return but  submit med expenses including even drugs,equipment and dentist,etc., to get Income tax reductions.

• Like 3

For these gofundme plans to work, you have a pay it foward personality. Whether through church, or community work. I remember one man in Puerto Vallarta who was well liked, a pleasant guy, he got stomach cancer, and quickly raised $100,000 for treatment.

As I have mentioned before, there are a lot of civil, general, military community, and naval hospitals which will provide more than adequate low cost, even no cost medical treatment rather than the for profit private hospitals. They will usually involve a culture shock though.

Just now, CHILLIN said:

For these gofundme plans to work, you have a pay it foward personality. Whether through church, or community work. I remember one man in Puerto Vallarta who was well liked, a pleasant guy, he got stomach cancer, and quickly raised $100,000 for treatment.

As I have mentioned before, there are a lot of civil, general, military community, and naval hospitals which will provide more than adequate low cost, even no cost medical treatment rather than the for profit private hospitals. They will usually involve a culture shock though.

We have always used private hospitals here and some of the med equipment that I had to buy has not been chump change . Not interested at all in what you describe as "culture shock" nor seeking handouts.

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

We have always used private hospitals here and some of the med equipment that I had to buy has not been chump change . Not interested at all in what you describe as "culture shock" nor seeking handouts.

So you are not going to accept the free government Covid vaccinations, but will wait to pay the private clinics?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Great, now Peter, a former small time scrap and salvage dealer, while his wife was a teacher, thinks he is Aesop now.

http://www.taleswithmorals.com/aesop-fable-the-ant-and-the-grasshopper.htm

https://www.epsilontheory.com/the-ants-and-the-grasshopper/

Yup small time scrap and salvage dealer. And your claim to fame gary waller aka chillin is?  DOUBLE SNORK!

pedro kertesz

edmonton journal-pedro a.jpg

7 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Darn tootin',I am going to pay my doctor to get me Pfizer so that I  know I'm getting the good stough.-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

Can you help us all and tell us how your doctor will obtain Pfizer vaccine? And when Pfizer will begin shipping to private entities and not governments?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Can you help us all and tell us how your doctor will obtain Pfizer vaccine? And when Pfizer will begin shipping to private entities and not governments?

I have not discussed it with my doc yet and I suspect it will be a long time before I get the Pfizer. So no I  can't help you all but you can help yourself by inquiring with your doc-no? In the meantime we will continue to practice the safety protocols that have benefited us to date. We shopped at Walmart,Los 3 Butchery and Puritan poultry Monday. My frau walks to the market[almost every day],our farmacias and post office and today she's going to walk to Panchos. Being a hermit is overkill.

46 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

My doc says "no"  it is doubtful that Pfizer or Moderna will be available for private purchase until next year if at all. 

Meanwhile 7 of my family members were vaccinated today with AstroZenica in Tuxpan, Jalisco

Great!  What was the criteria used for them?  Age, Healthcare, first responders....

11 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Yup small time scrap and salvage dealer. And your claim to fame gary waller aka chillin is?  DOUBLE SNORK!

pedro kertesz

edmonton journal-pedro a.jpg

Bragging that you scammed an old man, whose house has just been destroyed, is called arrogance. Just like the ant is to the grasshopper. You have had to check your bullying ways, especially to women, because they will get you turfed on this board, as they have on at least 4 others. But this arrogance, and fiction that you are so wealthy, because you are smarter than everybody, is really annoying.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Bragging that you scammed an old man, whose house has just been destroyed, is called arrogance. Just like the ant is to the grasshopper. You have had to check your bullying ways, especially to women, because they will get you turfed on this board, as they have on at least 4 others. But this arrogance, and fiction that you are so wealthy, because you are smarter than everybody, is really annoying.

Your personal attacks on me are quite humourous and shows your lack of intelligence. How is a person scammed who thought I was nuts giving him $125 for what most of them eventually burn. He and I became friends after that and visited,his aunt, a female, liked me too as do a lot of females all of who I  treat very well. lying will get you nowhere even if constantly repeated. I put in 80+ hours in restoring it to it's original colours so I only got paid for the restoration. Pizzes you off to no end that I get written up and praised in the media for my accompishments Who's going to get turfed gary waller aka chillin? I  haven't been turfed from 4 others but you have been laughed off of thorn tree and mexcon for your weird posts. i'm laughing at you now. I have only been on this board as happyjillin/pedro kertesz since april 17,2019 and have won 53 days and been second or 3rd many times which suggests that I  am pleasing the vast majority of members on here with useful and hopefully entertaining posts. Only you and your posse of questionable intelligence give each other likes for personally attacking me and sometimes my posts on things  that I  have a bunch of experience on. What is your talent other than blathering nonsense,things you know nothing about and fantasy. Do you froth at the mouth when I  call you out-SNORK!

You attacked me for making informative posts about What my wife and I  do re: our med expenses for US  just for information in case it may be of interest to others following the actual topic and not to read your stupid hate on for me.

pedro kertesz the magnificent

001a.jpg

picking adventures 025.jpg

• Haha 1

Intelligence? Well your graduation papers from grade 8 shop class you are so proud of should come in handy.

Public opinion fluff pieces are easy to generate. Says the guy who's boss, junior partner, was a Canadian Conservative public relations legend. I worked along side and mentored a former senior editor of the Vancouver Sun, who quit his job for that one.

My wife says I should stop picking on you . A Bantam rooster versus a Golden Eagle. She says people have already figured out your game. They don't need no warnin. So I will leave you to dig your hole deeper, save some burial costs. Right Mr. Ant?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1