Chapala.com Webboard

Filing US taxes

kosika

Unless your taxes are really complicated, TurboTax is an absolute slam dunk when it comes to filing returns.  I've used it for 10 years without error notices or additional tax demands.  Takes me about two hours for the entire process and that includes organizing income data, filing it out and electronically filing.

The software is never out of date, when you start it, it looks for updates and installs them quickly and seamlessly.

I am not an accountant, however, this software actually revealed mistakes on a return I paid an accountant for which is one reason I switched.

If you continue to use it, it downloads the last year's returns and then you just have to update, even faster.

We have income from a pension, SS, Mexican investments and U.S. bank accounts.  All are very easy to input into this software.  I downloaded a copy directly onto my computer from a purchase on Amazon.  It was very fast.

• Like 3

I agree with Maincoons.  Can't beat Turbo Tax.   While still working full time in U.S., going to college at night, and doing all the household "stuff," one year I decided to have someone do it for me.  Didn't just go to a bookkeeper, but hired a CPA and paid big bucks to make sure it was done right.  Six months later I received a substantial check in the mail from IRS because of a mistake the CPA had made!  Been using Turbo Tax ever since and it's the only way to go!!!

• Like 1

I was an enrolled agent with IRS for most of my work years.  I still do my own returns via E-file free software, but HIGHLY recommend TurboTax after reviewing their software.  They walk you through everything, asking all the right q's.  Reasonable price.  

On 2/21/2021 at 10:58 AM, MXConnie said:

We have used Patrick Oden with Lakeside Tax Service for the last seven years.   Telephone 956 765-2155.

We use Patrick also. Very happy with him.

Another thumbs up for Turbotax. I've been using it for years and have never had a problem, despite some returns that were a bit complicated. They walk you through every step with simple, easy-to-understand questions and explanations. I filed our return early last week and it just hit our account today. Love it! I also recommend their audit defense (I think $49?) just for peace of mind. While our returns have become very simple (ah, retirement!), it's still nice to know that there's an extra layer of protection. BTW, we switched to TurboTax when we started a business and hired an accountant to do our taxes since it was so new to us. We paid an arm and a leg ,only to be told that we owed money when we should have received a refund. Found Turbotax and never looked back.

• Like 1

These folks are good too!  Same Chapala Office Location as last year Santa Margarita 132 in Riberas, Ajijic just down the street from the Lake Chapala Baptist Church.

Here is the google maps link: https://www.google.com.mx/maps/place/Sta+Margarita+132,+Riberas+del+Pilar,+45906+Ajijic,+Jal./@20.2942706,-103.2237206,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x842f4129c03d4d97:0xf144a7669941c5e0!8m2!3d20.2942656!4d-103.2215319

All tax preparers USE tax software programs.  Your are simply paying them (often high fees) to enter your data, when you could do the same for yourself.  If your return is straightforward (pensions, taxable SS, interest, dividends, IRA withdrawals), I'd suggest the free E-file link at IRS site.  If it's a bit more complex (rental income, self-employed), get TurboTax. 

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

I've used TurboTax's twin H&R Block for about 20 years. Part of that time my wife had a single proprietor medical practice. Never a glitch and, like others say, one just answers their questions and enters your 'data'.  Good way to spend $35 IMO.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Sorn said:

I can't comment on his services but he's apparently doing well enough to not return calls and texts from new potential clients.

Try not to jump to conclusions.

Are you calling the correct number? The one listed above is not correct. This is his correct number. 376-766-3557

On 2/21/2021 at 10:58 AM, MXConnie said:

We have used Patrick Oden with Lakeside Tax Service for the last seven years.   Telephone 956 765-2155.

That is not the correct number unless it's a US number. This is his number- 376-766-3557

North American area code 956 is a state of Texas telephone area code for numbers in the Brownsville, McAllen, Laredo and South Padre Island areas. It was created May 25, 1997, in a split from area code 210. Counties served by this area code: Cameron, Hidalgo, Jim Hogg, La Salle, Starr, Webb, Willacy, and Zapata.

Oops, already answered by RV