Chapala.com Webboard

Prepaid Mexican credit card

Mijo

I looked and looked for prepaid, US-style over-the-counter Visa or Mastercards to give as a gift (not linked to an account of my own) but came up with nothing. Both CiBanco and HSBC advertised them, but when I went before Christmas, neither had those options and the staff had absolutely no clue what I was talking about, despite having the printouts in my hand. 

Please let me know if you are successful in finding one. Around the holidays, I thought they'd be useful gifts.

40 minutes ago, jrod said:

I looked and looked for prepaid, US-style over-the-counter Visa or Mastercards to give as a gift (not linked to an account of my own) but came up with nothing. Both CiBanco and HSBC advertised them, but when I went before Christmas, neither had those options and the staff had absolutely no clue what I was talking about, despite having the printouts in my hand. 

Please let me know if you are successful in finding one. Around the holidays, I thought they'd be useful gifts.

Here are links to those cards as posted earlier

https://financer.com/mx/tarjetas/tarjetas-de-prepago/

Walmart used to sell prepaid Walmart cards  so you might ask at customer service. 

Thank you, but as far as I can see from the links, each requires the purchaser to provide details online to "open" the card including proof of address, email, after which the card (with the initial deposit included) is mailed to the address on file.  There are commissions and fees per transaction, as well. I was hoping to pick up an anonymous MC or Visa. It does look like Walmart has gift cards, some with special-occasion designs.

27 minutes ago, jrod said:

Thank you, but as far as I can see from the links, each requires the purchaser to provide details online to "open" the card including proof of address, email, after which the card (with the initial deposit included) is mailed to the address on file.  There are commissions and fees per transaction, as well. I was hoping to pick up an anonymous MC or Visa. It does look like Walmart has gift cards, some with special-occasion designs.

Yes to get a real pre-paid Visa or Mastercard anywhere requires personal information.  Far different from a store gift card.