Chapala.com Webboard

reading CFE Bill

blizzzz

I know this topic has been covered here already, I've been reading through some great discussions regarding Solar PV setup and usage in Mexico. I want to be 100% sure regarding my understanding of my CFE bill.

I have a large solar array (5kw system - 20 panels @ 250watts each) with inverter (outback) and battery backup. Unfortunately I've been unable to get anyone reliable to setup and care for the system to ensure it's producing and topping off batteries and putting power back into the grid. Our goal has always been to use a little power from CFE as possible and be as close to "net neutral" as possible. I have had 5 different companies come out and inspect the system and offer their proposals. I have also had a company service the system recently and replace the Outback Inverter, telling me that it was not working. So in short, very frustrated, very expensive, no results and expensive CFE bills.

From what I understand after looking at my CFE bill.. I am not selling any power back to CFE. Is this correct?

CFEUtilityBill.thumb.png.6d65e0bc80e3ef516367844a13544a6b.png

Gotcha.. thanks for confirming.

I'm asking via this Forum as I have stopped relying on what any of the Solar installers have told me. I appreciate all the help provided here! So looks like I have a ton of equipment doing very little.. well, I think it's only topping off my batteries so a really expensive battery charging system. Not what I asked for.

If anyone knows of a trustworthy solar company that installs and services equipment in Tulum Q. Roo.. Please let me know.

Dan Hodge is asking the correct question.  Do you have a meter reading the DC production of your panels? 

How often are you actually using the batteries for your power needs? 

If the batteries are fully charged then it seems that your system does not have a switchover to send the production to the grid. 

Yes it sounds like you have a very expensive battery charger. I am a Canadian currently living in the area and have worked with and installed solar systems in Canada, I can come take a look at the system for you at no cost and give you recommendation, as I don't think this is a question that can be answered without seeing how it was set up.

I'm in Tulum Q. Roo but found such great information here on Chapala that I decided to post. Seems like you have an awesome community with tons of knowledge.. So @Northtek I appreciate the offer, but not sure if that's a real possibility.

Currently talking with the last solar installer who did some work recently. Hopefully I can get them to come back and inspect things and get the issues resolved.

4 hours ago, blizzzz said:

I have a large solar array (5kw system - 20 panels @ 250watts each) with inverter (outback) and battery backup

Need more info on your setup - which Outback inverter, for example?   Radian?    They are excellent, we have installed them at lakeside for those who want hybrid systems with backup energy storage, but are a bit complex and have different modes including a Grid Zero mode where they do not export.     

So your CFE consumption is (may be) being reduced..... however you are not sending the excess energy to the grid if this is the case.

We have qualified staff and partners in your area who can assist if you wish.      PM or email.

• Like 3

Go Solar is a very knowledgeable guy and has been most helpful in all things solar on this forum.

I would also recommend that you look into a way of tracking your production online. Mine is Enphase and I check it daily. It helped me figure out that one of my panels wasn't working. Turned out that the microinverter on that panel was faulty. It doesn't happen often but I got lucky :( It was replaced (under warranty) and everything is fine now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thx Ferret.     Blizzzz is in touch and we'll try to help them in the best way.

One other very important mention / issue for anyone else reading here, that comes up in MX especially with Hybrid systems exporting to the grid, is what type of local CFE transformer is being used.       If the phases being used are not the same as the inverter was set up for (and most 220 v / 2 line inverters are done to US / C standards whereas MX sometimes uses any 2 hot legs of a 3 phase transformer.......) then export can be a challenge (ie:  impossible) until that is resolved.   It can mean needing a small phase change transformer next to the inverter.    Not a huge cost and has resolved this in several situations we've run into.     

• Like 2