Chapala.com Webboard

Need help with your computer or website?

Northtek

TROLL ALERT...In his own words...

"But I was able to find a 3 bedroom house in a fantastic area. That has one main bathroom and an Ensuite. Cost per month? $225 US"

"But no, this is a not for profit venture. Everything will be offered for free. 100%"....

"I should point out that I am not offering any free commercial services, only offering some free services for private use. If you require commercial services, I can provide some advice and direct you to useful resources."

I was born at night, but not last night, and with an almost 50 year business career that gives me the advantage of sniffing out, shall we say, "suspicious activity", I will leave it at that!!! 

I’m all for it. 
We can use ORGANIZED information on ONE single site.
So far, that’s a dream.

Maybe something like Wikipedia.
And take this “social” thing out.

I use Nextdoor.com in my local neighborhood in the USA.
Maybe you already did. You can take some ideas from there.
As a neighborhood social network, it’s still learning from its own mistakes.

3 hours ago, Northtek said:

With all due respect, I am not trying to promote a business at all. In fact I am saying the exact opposite. To which I said I am not providing any commercial services. 

Only looking for feedback on a potential website that will compliment this existing site. 

if you read the posts, you will see that is the intent. Advice is offered freely, but advice only. 

Sounds like a load of B.S. to me...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone for your feed back and after a lot of consideration I have come to the conclusion that the new site has to be a completely noncommercial in nature. So any form of advertising has to be excluded. I was hoping there could be a distinction made between advertising and a directory of services offered in English. But it would seem that is not possible. 

Also, the intent is not to replicate services already provided by this site or any other. With that said, I still believe there are a lot of people here that have a great deal to offer the community and hoping they will be willing to share their experiences and knowledge in a meaningful way. 

So with that note, development is now under way and will let it take on its own form and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, FlyFree said:

I, for one would like to have a central site that provides information. Yes, I expect commercial establishments to pay if they want to advertise on your site. Otherwise, how else would the site be supported? Your time, and cost of running the site need to be compensated. 

That's great, if allowed please share your site. Also funding for the site has already been secured for the next several years and additional funding is not required. As I believe that if we are truly committed to providing usefully information that information can not have any corporate interest involved.  

17 hours ago, Bob Liu said:

I’m all for it. 
We can use ORGANIZED information on ONE single site.
So far, that’s a dream.

Maybe something like Wikipedia.
And take this “social” thing out.

I use Nextdoor.com in my local neighborhood in the USA.
Maybe you already did. You can take some ideas from there.
As a neighborhood social network, it’s still learning from its own mistakes.

Thanks Bob, I appreciate your suggestion and yes I seems "And take this “social” thing out" is the way to go. as it would seem people are more interested in serving their own needs. The primary goal is to find mutual needs and offer a community driven solutions, but in the end. we have the funding, the resources and tech, so the only people that will benefit are those that choose to help other than try to hinder.

6 hours ago, gringal said:

I got that the site would be "free".  One thing that's a bit vague is:  will commercials be on the site? If so, that's the rub.

That is a great question, the site will contain video but no commercials, as there are new places I have found that would like to share with video, but they will be more along the line of reporting as no company will be paying for it.

I realize this is going to be a difficult wire to walk, as there is a fine line between showcasing and advertising, but in the end, people put a lot of effort into seeking the negative in everything. So I am resigned to the fact that there is no point now of trying to justify things as it started with the best of intensions and hoping to keep it that way. I realize that I myself maybe partly to blame as this thread started with one idea and ended with another. But that's how progress is made.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Northtek said:

Thanks Bob, I appreciate your suggestion and yes I seems "And take this “social” thing out" is the way to go. as it would seem people are more interested in serving their own needs. The primary goal is to find mutual needs and offer a community driven solutions, but in the end. we have the funding, the resources and tech, so the only people that will benefit are those that choose to help other than try to hinder.

Feel free to let me know what I can help.

10 hours ago, Bob Liu said:

Feel free to let me know what I can help

Thanks Bob I appreciate it, as all I ask is input on what you think can help. what I am seeing is this. As even though I think its great for sites like this to exists, it does present some problems when actually looking for some information. Must of us will all encounter differences in the way things work here and I find it difficult not only find answers to basic questions, as you have to drill down through endless comments, but you also have to try and figure out what is factual and what is someone's opinion. Which is good for some things, but not so good for other.

What I am hoping for is this. I understand the majority of expats that are here are retired professionals from both Canada and the US that have a wealth of expertise and understanding of common issues. It would be nice if we can use that wealth of information to separate fact and opinion into easy to navigate articles that directly speaks to everyday issues. 

As there are some very stark differences here that I have found that it would be great to get meaningful answers to. They can be simple questions like why is chicken here yellow? and how do I buy a good steak here? to more complex questions like, what is the best way to transfer money or why most people I talk to says banking here is unsafe? or to having a searchable list of service providers that do provide services in English, because to be honest, its hard enough to find someone that repairs computers to speak plain English in Canada, so I can imagine it must be extremely harder here. Because lets face it, computers are hard enough to understand without adding another language barrier into the mix.

Also it would be nice if the service list was extended to Guadalajara, as it is the second largest city and is a close drive where a lot of valuable services can be found.

Finally, it would also be great if we recognize there is benefits in numbers and leverage it to benefit everyone. For example, it is currently estimated that there is appoxamitly 50,000 expats living in the area. That's a huge deal for most companies, as they represent educated consumers with discretionary income.  Most companies would offer better services if not heavily discounted. Seriously, who couldn't benefit from saving money.

So that is what I am thinking and I know that there are people on here that think this is some kind of advertising thing or what ever, as I know there will always be someone all to happy with pointing out the negative. But the truth is this, if this site can figure out how to do all these things, then all the power to them, I would be happy to see it and support it.

If not, then I have the time, money, resources, and the resolve to do it, and I have never been one to let naysayers stop me from doing anything.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Northtek said:

I have the time, money, resources, and the resolve to do it, and I have never been one to let naysayers stop me from doing anything.

Then go ahead and do it, and stop talking about it.     

I think you'll find that like in most places, people know how to get things done or learn about them the same as everywhere else in the world.     

And if you think Mexico isn't competitive, you're mistaken - in fact much more competitive and with leaner margins than many other places in the world.        You'd be better off offering your tech support and IT services and sticking to that, maybe you could teach the skills to others and scale up that way.   

Focus, don't try to be the Google, Amazon, Mercado Libre all in one and leverage 50,000 people in a country of 100 million......not going to happen. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Northtek said:

blah blah blah

9 minutes ago, virgo lady said:

Then go ahead and do it, and stop talking about it.     

I think you'll find that like in most places, people know how to get things done or learn about them the same as everywhere else in the world.     

And if you think Mexico isn't competitive, you're mistaken - in fact much more competitive and with leaner margins than many other places in the world.        You'd be better off offering your tech support and IT services and sticking to that, maybe you could teach the skills to others and scale up that way.   

Focus, don't try to be the Google, Amazon, Mercado Libre all in one and leverage 50,000 people in a country of 100 million......not going to happen. 

Ok that is fair and reasonable criticism and does raise a very interesting point. So Thanks Virgo lady, that's exactly the type of feed back I was hoping for. Plus I have to admit the cartoon was funny.

2 minutes ago, Northtek said:

Ok that is fair and reasonable criticism and does raise a very interesting point. So Thanks Virgo lady, that's exactly the type of feed back I was hoping for. Plus I have to admit the cartoon was funny.

Glad you took it in a constructive way.     One thing you could possibly do.....is to help this site with having a decent search tool inside it.     THAT (as you and many others mention) is a key thing lacking here.     Right now you can do much better putting in "Chapala.com" and the search term desired in Google, to try to find the content desired, than you can from the search box here.    Plus it locks you out if you make an error or try again in 30 seconds.....

Suerte.

13 minutes ago, virgo lady said:

Glad you took it in a constructive way.     One thing you could possibly do.....is to help this site with having a decent search tool inside it.     THAT (as you and many others mention) is a key thing lacking here.     Right now you can do much better putting in "Chapala.com" and the search term desired in Google, to try to find the content desired, than you can from the search box here.    Plus it locks you out if you make an error or try again in 30 seconds.....

Suerte.

Constructive criticism is always welcome and I have no problem with admitting that I may be wrong, so how about this, why don't we do both. I will offer any help as needed to improve this site. But in order to do so we need to be honest with the short falls and be open to criticism. 

I am still mystified why you would think I would even need RAID configuration and U.S. server farms for sharing a 1.5 terabyte media server within the house. PLEX now has Linux. The person who does a lot of the work here, Computer Mike, has cancelled all house calls until the quarantine is over. He does not know Linux or Apache. Adrian does, as well as Rasberry Pi, but he has dialysis appointments 3 times a week.

1 hour ago, Northtek said:

Constructive criticism is always welcome and I have no problem with admitting that I may be wrong, so how about this, why don't we do both. I will offer any help as needed to improve this site. But in order to do so we need to be honest with the short falls and be open to criticism. 

So DO it already!!! And YOU are complaining about extraneous content here???  

• Haha 1