Chapala.com Webboard

Need help with your computer or website?

Northtek

3 hours ago, Northtek said:

or to having a searchable list of service providers that do provide services in English, because to be honest, its hard enough to find someone that repairs computers to speak plain English in Canada, so I can imagine it must be extremely harder here. Because lets face it, computers are hard enough to understand without adding another language barrier into the mix.

One of the things that make relocating to a new place a richer experience is when people go out and about, walk down the streets to check out what is available where, talk to others, etc. Sitting at home finding out everything you want to know online is a good way not to assimilate nor really learn anything about your community aside from what directly affects you.

And if people move to a country where the native language isn't English, they need to respectfully learn the language, not expect to receive services in English.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Northtek said:

Constructive criticism is always welcome and I have no problem with admitting that I may be wrong, so how about this, why don't we do both. I will offer any help as needed to improve this site. But in order to do so we need to be honest with the short falls and be open to criticism. 

It’s all about getting INFORMATION.
* Time critical ones, like: pandemic, power outage, etc. - This Webboard is good.
* Instructional ones, like: transfer money, pay bills, drive to the border, and a lot more. - We need to be better organized with updates, accuracy, details, etc. This Webboard has its limit. 

38 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I am still mystified why you would think I would even need RAID configuration and U.S. server farms for sharing a 1.5 terabyte media server within the house. PLEX now has Linux. The person who does a lot of the work here, Computer Mike, has cancelled all house calls until the quarantine is over. He does not know Linux or Apache. Adrian does, as well as Rasberry Pi, but he has dialysis appointments 3 times a week.

Ok now we are on the same page, I thought you were talking about something completely different, when you said media server, I didn't think you meant for in your home. As I have media servers but only for work. But I get you now. Also sorry to hear about Adrian, that's got to be hard.

But to clarify on Raid configuration and why its important even if in a home environment. One of the biggest bottlenecks is the data transfer from hard drives. Even though SSD drives have come a long way, the speeds are higher, but don't address multiple user as most media servers are intended to do. So its still important if you want to get the best performance. Generally people set up a NAS for this (Which is generally a RAID system)

But as far as setting up a media server at home that's great, but here in lies the problem. Yes the plex server will run better in a Linux environment, it requires a higher level of computer knowledge and will require maintenance outside of the average users knowledge. Very few are familiar with these OS's. In other words, once you setup a system like this, you will become a life long customer of the tech company.

So if you are absolutely tied to the idea of running Plex under a Linux system, I would say its best to stick with someone that can maintain a relationship for the long term.

If not, send me a list of what hardware you are using and I will recommend a system that is a little more user friendly and can be serviced by anyone.

36 minutes ago, Bob Liu said:

* Time critical ones, like: pandemic, power outage, etc. - This Webboard is good.
* Instructional ones, like: transfer money, pay bills, drive to the border, and a lot more. - We need to be better organized with updates, accuracy, details, etc. This Webboard has its limit. 

Absolutely everything has limits. There is no such thing as perfection. This board only needs to have it's search function tweeted is all. In the overall scheme of things it ain't something we need to loose sleep over.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Absolutely everything has limits. There is no such thing as perfection. This board only needs to have it's search function tweeted is all. In the overall scheme of things it ain't something we need to loose sleep over.

Nothing is perfect, but there’s always a better one.
You think a customized bike is better, good for you.
Someone wants to improve the way of researching information,
s/he has my full support.

Did you ever lose sleep over customizing your bike?!
People do their things b/c they have their motivation.

No one is forcing others to do things differently.
OP mainly is asking for feedback. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Northtek said:

Ok now we are on the same page, I thought you were talking about something completely different, when you said media server, I didn't think you meant for in your home. As I have media servers but only for work. But I get you now. Also sorry to hear about Adrian, that's got to be hard.

But to clarify on Raid configuration and why its important even if in a home environment. One of the biggest bottlenecks is the data transfer from hard drives. Even though SSD drives have come a long way, the speeds are higher, but don't address multiple user as most media servers are intended to do. So its still important if you want to get the best performance. Generally people set up a NAS for this (Which is generally a RAID system)

But as far as setting up a media server at home that's great, but here in lies the problem. Yes the plex server will run better in a Linux environment, it requires a higher level of computer knowledge and will require maintenance outside of the average users knowledge. Very few are familiar with these OS's. In other words, once you setup a system like this, you will become a life long customer of the tech company.

So if you are absolutely tied to the idea of running Plex under a Linux system, I would say its best to stick with someone that can maintain a relationship for the long term.

If not, send me a list of what hardware you are using and I will recommend a system that is a little more user friendly and can be serviced by anyone.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I will see how Adrian is coming along. Maybe he has free time to make me a Raspberry Pi 4 NAS server. They even sell cases for them now. You will have to meet him, you would be of great mutual help to each other.

12 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I will see how Adrian is coming along. Maybe he has free time to make me a Raspberry Pi 4 NAS server. They even sell cases for them now. You will have to meet him, you would be of great mutual help to each other.

Yes that would be nice. but I will have to look into it as I have heard promising things about the system but have not had a chance to take a serious look.

23 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Ok that opens up a lot of possibilities, as the raspberry Pi is a great little system and can offer a very reliable NAS for a very low price, thanks for the tip, Also found this video that is interesting 

5 minutes ago, Northtek said:

Yes that would be nice. but I will have to look into it as I have heard promising things about the system but have not had a chance to take a serious look.

Don't worry about it. Its a hobbyist thing for old retired farts to keep busy. And help Adrian pay his medical bills.

On 2/20/2021 at 1:54 PM, Bob Liu said:

Ok so here is the compromise, as there has been great feedback and constructive criticism given. I think the best approach is this. We will develop a plugin that is compatible with this site and provide it for free to this site if they would like to use it.

It will contain simplified information on the following:

Covid Information or status, currently we are in the red zone
Weather warnings and current weather
Currency exchange rates
Border Status
Travel warnings
Power outage warnings

This will be a simplified plugin that will only provide crucial information. If there are other suggestions, please feel free to make them.  

On 2/20/2021 at 1:45 PM, mudgirl said:

One of the things that make relocating to a new place a richer experience is when people go out and about, walk down the streets to check out what is available where, talk to others, etc. Sitting at home finding out everything you want to know online is a good way not to assimilate nor really learn anything about your community aside from what directly affects you.

And if people move to a country where the native language isn't English, they need to respectfully learn the language, not expect to receive services in English.

Not sure about this, as anytime we take the approach that its on everyone to figure things out on their own, is in my opinion, short sighted. For one, my wife is Mexican and has lived in this area all her life, so she does a great job of helping me learn Spanish and local customs.

I also enjoy talking to friends and neighbors and get their recommendations. But they and my wife are not experts on everything and are often surprised at the things I find when I go out and try and discover things. As at heart, I am an explorer type, but I also recognize that this leaves me open to taking risks that others might not feel comfortable with. As much as I love living here, I do realize that some areas are not a safe as others. These situations do change on a regular basis. What's safe today may not be safe tomorrow. 

So to say we should not share relevant information with each other, leaves people in the position to have to learn the hard way, or find themselves in a bad situation that could have been easily avoided.

The fact is, if I could get all the information I needed here, that would be great, but I don't. If all I needed was conflicting opinions about everything, then message boards are great.

As far as expecting English services, well I am not, but it would be nice to know if they are being offered in an easy to find way, because if I am not mistake, this site caters to the English speaking community here. So if we take your approach than this site should be in Spanish, si?

"United we stand, divided we fall"

8 minutes ago, Northtek said:

So if we take your approach than this site should be in Spanish, si?

No, it's an English language forum, and a private business. 

That's different than expecting public services to be offered in English.

And I have nothing against info exchange. I was just saying that those who sit at home online to gather all their info are missing out on things that make living in new community a richer, more integrative experience.

5 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

That's different than expecting public services to be offered in English

Again, not expecting, just asking if available. There is a difference.

Also you might want to read what I wrote a little closer, as I never implied people should stay at home to find things out, I am saying that it would be preferable if they were better educated before they go out and explore.

fare enough enough. as to be honest I am having trouble following the thread myself and I have deviated greatly away from the original topic.  

Will create a new thread for collaboration with those interested, as currency exchange has a bigger impact than i expected and would like input as to how it should be displayed. 

4 hours ago, Northtek said:

Ok so here is the compromise, as there has been great feedback and constructive criticism given. I think the best approach is this. We will develop a plugin that is compatible with this site and provide it for free to this site if they would like to use it.

It will contain simplified information on the following:

Covid Information or status, currently we are in the red zone
Weather warnings and current weather
Currency exchange rates
Border Status
Travel warnings
Power outage warnings

This will be a simplified plugin that will only provide crucial information. If there are other suggestions, please feel free to make them.  

Please give us a simple online demo first.
And then we can go from there.

One realistic question.
If you will “host” information, 
what if you suddenly become “inactive”? : )

Wikipedia is tried-n-true and non-profit.
It’s already there technologically.
We contribute our knowledge there and build upon it.
All the social noise will be in the background.

I found this Wikivoyage, branch of Wikipedia.
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Ajijic
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Chapala
Foundation is there, just need (lots of) work. 
It won’t cover everything, but it can cover a lot of things.
And we still have this Webboard for its functionality.

Someone needs to drive to the Laredo border for the first time?
We can just point him to the link to that article on Wikivoyage. 
After he comes back, he can update it on Wikivoyage what’s changed.

Just something for you to think about.

2 minutes ago, Bob Liu said:

One realistic question.
If you will “host” information, 
what if you suddenly become “inactive”? : )

lol is that a polite way of saying what happens if I get hit by a bus? simple answer is this, All crucial data will be provided automatically from reputable sources and compiled into a database, extracted by api's that will be made available to this site and the beta.

Everything will be automated, So if I do get hit by a bus, lol, it will keep working.

2 hours ago, Northtek said:

lol is that a polite way of saying what happens if I get hit by a bus? simple answer is this, All crucial data will be provided automatically from reputable sources and compiled into a database, extracted by api's that will be made available to this site and the beta.

Everything will be automated, So if I do get hit by a bus, lol, it will keep working.

Just DO it already, and go away from here!!!

• Thanks 2