Chapala.com Webboard

COVID dropping like a rock

On 2/17/2021 at 8:30 AM, vetteforron said:

So says Yahoo Financial Times... eh?  So much for the "Rock"

The Article says..... "Of course, this does not mean the pandemic is over. Or even close to it. The more contagious B.1.1.7 variant is spreading through the population with confirmed cases in 40 states. Dr. Anthony Fauci also pushed back his expectations of when most Americans will have access to a COVID-19 vaccine by about six weeks on Tuesday."

• Thanks 2

I wonder how long the Pfizer vaccine can remain viable if the vaccination sites and storage facilities have no backup power generators to maintain the -70C temperatures.  There could be millions of doses lost in the areas that have suffered the recent winter storm, particularly Texas.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Kiko said:

I wonder how long the Pfizer vaccine can remain viable if the vaccination sites and storage facilities have no backup power generators to maintain the -70C temperatures.  There could be millions of doses lost in the areas that have suffered the recent winter storm, particularly Texas.

5 days.

1 hour ago, Kiko said:

Shipments to some hub distribution centers were halted in Texas for a few days and appointments re-scheduled. In some areas no problem. Resuming for week of Feb 15th now.    Pfizer "We also have developed packaging and storage innovations to be fit for purpose for the range of locations where we believe vaccinations will take place. We have specially designed,temperature-controlled thermal shippers utilizing dry ice to maintain recommended storage temperature conditions of -70°C±10°C for up to 10 days unopened." 

The Pfizer thermal shippers, in which doses will arrive, that can be used as temporary storage units by refilling with dry ice every five days for up to 30 days of storage.

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/news/updates/COVIDVaccineAllocation-Week10.pdf

• Thanks 1

^^Thanks that is good information to know.  It is not possible to communicate by phone with my vac site so I can only rely on one way email communication from them.  We had 48hr notice to arrive for the first shot so we made it that time driving from lakeside.  My family in Texas has been without power or potable water since Monday.  Walmarts and HEB have been closed around the clock, but today the sun is out and all will return to normal soon.  

IH35 in central Texas has been at a crawl this past week so it is good to know that the shippers have the product in stock in the hubs.  The vac sites only carry a few thousand doses on hand at a time and my second shot is about 11 days away.  I think I read that you can delay the second shot up to three add'l weeks if necessary so there should be no problem.  If the second dose is delayed I can wait. 

Thankful to have this option. 

22 minutes ago, johanson said:

I was glad to hear the good news that the spread of the virus is slowing down

You shouldn't be, because most of the powers that be are already using it as an excuse to open up, at the same time as these variants are just starting to spread like wildfire.   Give it a month, things will be as bad or worse than they have ever been.    And I sincerely hope I am wrong, but strongly suspect otherwise as do many leading scientists, epidemiologists, and health professionals.

48 minutes ago, virgo lady said:

You shouldn't be, because most of the powers that be are already using it as an excuse to open up, at the same time as these variants are just starting to spread like wildfire.   Give it a month, things will be as bad or worse than they have ever been.    And I sincerely hope I am wrong, but strongly suspect otherwise as do many leading scientists, epidemiologists, and health professionals.

You make a good point. I never thought of it that way. Thanks for your comments :) 

Here is another site John Hopkins. Click on the lower right corner and click on daily cases then pick your favorite country. I follow the global, U. S. Mexico, Colombia, Panama and others I have interest in. All the. ones I follow have spiked and are slowly coming down. Some people have been infected and are now immune, some people are just immune, million of doses of vaccines are being administered inoculated daily. We are getting close to herd immunity. I am feeling more positive than ever. This will end like or not. 

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Yes, there is hope and I'm glad that you are feeling more positive than ever. Having said that, we are not ANYWHERE CLOSE to being outa da woods!  That's what some (uninformed and surely NOT the 'scientists') were saying early summer. Looked what happened in the Fall.... just as the 'scientists' said it would.  

And your comment about 'getting close to herd immunity' tells me that you for some reason just want to spread feel-good information that has no basis in fact.  About 11% of the US population has received at least one shot. Some others who have already contracted the virus are thought, but not known, to now be somewhat immune.  Herd Immunity takes 75-85% immunity and we don't yet know if the new stains are covered by the current vaccines. And there will be more strains. 

Herd immunity indeed!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vetteforron said:

All the. ones I follow have spiked and are slowly coming down. Some people have been infected and are now immune, some people are just immune, million of doses of vaccines are being administered inoculated daily. We are getting close to herd immunity

Your interpretation is sadly confused.     Your analogy is like falling with a parachute......faster and faster, open the chute so you think it is OK....but now opening up again with the variants is like cutting a big hole in it, while still 1000 feet above the ground.      The planet is no where NEAR "herd immunity" and the "old normal" is still at least a year away.      Stay safe everyone, yes, we will get there but not soon.

For some the glass is always half empty.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210210/rate-of-covid-cases-and-death-declining-worldwide

Feb. 11, 2021 -- The World Health Organization is reporting some encouraging statistics on the coronavirus pandemic.

In its weekly update, the WHO said the 3.1 million new COVID cases were reported around the globe last week, a 17% drop from the previous week, the fourth straight week new cases numbers have gone down.

That’s the lowest number of new cases in 15 weeks, since the week of Oct. 26.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-why-the-number-of-covid-19-cases-is-dropping-globally/

As the number of new coronavirus infections in Canada continues to fall, a similar phenomenon is unfolding in many other parts of the world, leading experts to try to better understand why COVID-19 cases are plummeting right now.

The sky isn't falling. Perhaps more people are finally following the regulations to keep themselves and their families safe. However, the variants are an unknown curve ball. Stay the course.

There will continue to be the !diots amongst us...

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/two-air-passengers-fined-10k-201253990.html

Unfortunately for some areas we had Carnaval  where plenty of people mngled without any distancing or mask.. so we will see in a couple of weeks if that had any effect.

I am really curious about it in Chiapas where indigenous do not wear masks and do not take care of themselves and in the cooler highlands, I believe there is very little covid  in the communities if any  but people are still dying of it in the low lands.. If no one is getting infected after the thousands of people mingled, they should check out why, herd immunity or other reason? Of course no one will investigate but there is something off in the communities in the Highlands, 

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

The cases have finally dropped due to the lockdowns since Christmas which the powers that be think means they can now relax them.    $%&/()ic.      Lives before Commerce my friend.......

COVID-19 variants could fuel a surge of 20,000 new Canadian cases a day if restrictions eased further: modelling - The Globe and Mail

10 minutes ago, virgo lady said:

The cases have finally dropped due to the lockdowns since Christmas which the powers that be think means they can now relax them.    $%&/()ic.      Lives before Commerce my friend.......

COVID-19 variants could fuel a surge of 20,000 new Canadian cases a day if restrictions eased further: modelling - The Globe and Mail

"could" does not equal "did."  The former is speculation, the latter is history.

The reference I cited states the scientists do not have an explanation for the drop.  It lists several possibilities.

“We need to understand what is driving those transmission dynamics,” Mike Ryan, head of the WHO’s health emergencies program, told a news conference Monday. “Is it the natural seasonality and wave-like pattern of the disease? Are we building a level of immunity in the population that’s preventing the disease finding the next case? And are control measures having an impact on that? I think all of the above, to an extent, are true.”

Commerce equals lives for those not privileged like so many here to have independent incomes.

2 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

The reference I cited states the scientists do not have an explanation for the drop.  It lists several possibilities.

The WHO has unfortunately shown themselves to be incompetent at just about every stage of this pandemic.    They are the last ones I'd go to for advice or guidance.

The simplest explanations are generally the correct ones.    Each time there have been lockdowns and restrictions, the cases fall dramatically.   Happened in the spring, has happened since Christmas again.     Everyone gets scared, the lockdowns happen, the cases fall in 6 weeks, and then most relax again.    It is the last part that will be the big bugaboo this time with the variants due to how incredibly fast and easily they spread.     I hope I'm wrong but pretty sure not.     

• Like 1