Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Country wide power outage is due tonight !


Recommended Posts

 Just now! Our emergency measures Director of the state of San Luis Potosi will not allow electricity to be turned off in municipalities where essential services are being provided. Hospitals with Covid-19 beds, hospitals in general and cities where vital basic services operate from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Something I would expect from CFE but no, it's Texas!

To be expected both due to the weather / demand, and the fact that Texas in general has "0" (or negative) view of conservation.    CFE charges MORE as you use more, to help the poor and underprivileged and encourage conservation.     Texas does the opposite.       Not a good practice IMHO.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Fred Habacht said:

False alarm on the power outages......Joco is still lit to the max.

Yes. Electricity was on all night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/16/2021 at 3:31 PM, RickS said:

Interesting....  what would you say is the length of time your average battery installation will power a house if power were cut?  

Also maybe someone will report later about how long 'each' random power outage lasted during this 'event'.

 

 

My mickeymouse system on my rv works continuously so long as the demand does not outstrip the storage/recharge ability [the following day]. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, yes, I have solar on RVs also. But not much there 'sucking life' out of a good RV solar system if I have 4 6V golf cart batteries. In fact if I didn't need to run the furnace I could easily get by for many days on a 2-battery solar system boon-docking. 

My real question.... which I guess I actually did not ask.... is this:  for a house at Lakeside having what we all have such as TV, Internet modems/routers/PCs,  refrigerator, microwave, lights, water pressure pump with probably a purification system attached... etc, etc.......  what approximately would it take $-wise to have a solar/battery system that would protect us if CFE power were off for 4-6 hours in a rolling blackout?   

To answer part of my question, I suspect that if one went into a known, rolling blackout period with a solar/battery system, one would probably also curtain use a bit, maybe turn the frig off for 2 hours, certainly turn off a standalone freezer for quite a while etc etc etc

Just curious.... that's all. Maybe if circumstances were like they were 10-15 years ago at Lakeside where the power went off a LOT, a solar/battery setup would be very valuable. These days... not so much IMO.   UNLESS of course it was not that much more to add a battery system to my panels.  But I know better than that.... sort of.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Current electricity problem is due to Gov. Abbott of Texas order to not sale natural gas to Mexico.  This meant Northern Mexico cannot produce enough electricity to support the region. Don't know when Texas will recover enough energy to restore sales. Not sure this is legal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rafterbr said:

Current electricity problem is due to Gov. Abbott of Texas order to not sale natural gas to Mexico.  This meant Northern Mexico cannot produce enough electricity to support the region. Don't know when Texas will recover enough energy to restore sales. Not sure this is legal.

Another failure by Abbott.       

 https://t.co/vDnweiq1zz?amp=1

#TexasFeeze - Twitter Search / Twitter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RickS said:

what approximately would it take $-wise to have a solar/battery system that would protect us if CFE power were off for 4-6 hours in a rolling blackout?   

This can now be done in a basic way as you suggest Rick, for not much more than a grid tied "regular" solar system.      There are both hybrid inverters and also even simpler, inverter-chargers that can work to charge batteries from either AC or the panels, then use the battery power through the inverter when needed to feed the whole house loads.   

Sizing and type of the inverter unit, in terms of wattage, in terms of 120 or 220 V, and whether it feeds the grid or not are all factors in cost.    Then on the battery side, whether one chooses AGM (sealed lead acid) or li-ion, and how much capacity.       AGM are fine for occasional backup needs, and less $$ upfront.    However, the deep depth of discharge and very long lifespan of li-ion actually make them equal or less costly in the long run and a pleasure to own and use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Further to this, are portable / box size "solar generators" that can charge from either AC or panels, on a plug-in basis, and then you can choose what to plug into them during an outage.    Plus take them camping, etc.     There's a range of them size and quality wise, and we are strongly considering several models to have available at very good pricing in the near future.     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is just my opinion. I would not invest in a battery back up. I would buy a whole house PROPANE generator... like Generac. And there must be other brands out there.  Unless there is something seriously lacking in the tanks here, I am assuming that they are the same kind used in Canada. Poor things work in all kinds of nasty weather. Even Mexico gets cloudy and doesn't always produce the glorious sunshine to which we are so accustomed.

Pumped water is divine but a tinaco can be a life saver. My aljibe holds 6,000 litres and is my emergency water source. A smaller propane generator will work with my pass through pump to feed the tinaco if necessary. Why propane? It doesn't go bad like gasoline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ferret said:

This is just my opinion. I would not invest in a battery back up. I would buy a whole house PROPANE generator... like Generac. And there must be other brands out there.  Unless there is something seriously lacking in the tanks here, I am assuming that they are the same kind used in Canada. Poor things work in all kinds of nasty weather. Even Mexico gets cloudy and doesn't always produce the glorious sunshine to which we are so accustomed.

Pumped water is divine but a tinaco can be a life saver. My aljibe holds 6,000 litres and is my emergency water source. A smaller propane generator will work with my pass through pump to feed the tinaco if necessary. Why propane? It doesn't go bad like gasoline.

Also propane engines don't need all the maint that a gas engine needs.  Burns much cleaner also.

Am in the process of putting in a 30,000 L. underground tank in my yard.   Big truck to bring it in the yard luckily I have big gates.  Hope to avoid water shortages during the late dry season.   Propane generator is next.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why do I get the feeling that some people are preparing for the end of the world  to happen. What's happened to those adventurous who wanted to escape the boggy  man NOB and live in the wilderness and forgo all of the  conveniences. How quickly you miss the"good"life 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Why do I get the feeling that some people are preparing for the end of the world  to happen. What's happened to those adventurous who wanted to escape the boggy  man NOB and live in the wilderness and forgo all of the  conveniences. How quickly you miss the"good"life 

Or when industrious people retire and find other things that interest them to fill up their days instead of idleness. Every wonder why retirees are now very interested in food and shopping and paying bills? Before retiring those things were just considered a pain in the butt. Now so important.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...