Chapala.com Webboard

Mexa Bistro

tomgates

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A true filet mignon is from a cut located between the sirloin and the rib, and is "named ‘tenderloin’ since it is the most tender beef cut." It is the leanest meat on a cow, and a full piece is a narrow tube of meat, much like the pork tenderloin you see on grocery store shelves. Typically cut in a slice of 2 or more inches and butterflied to make it appear larger and cook better, and wrapped in bacon. The bacon goes on raw and provides the fat for grilling, and if the bacon is fully cooked it's petty much guaranteed that the filet is overdone.

If the bacon falls apart or the chef has cut too far through, it will come apart into pieces. Note it is also popular these days just to cut a 2 or 3" slice off the tenderloin, wrap it in bacon and grill as is.

A filet mignon is the tip of the tenderloin.  Sounds like the restaurant had some tenderloin cut up for shish kebobs and served daisy with them masquraded as a filet mignon. 

After all my years here, I learned early not to order steaks of any kind in a Mexican restaurant or any other restaurant...consistently tough, tasteless and overpriced. Not sure why, but Mexican beef is not raised or fed as in the US or other countries. Plenty of other choices, I am sure in this restaurant and many others, but just my opinion...stay away from steaks!!! I understand that there are some places here to buy good steaks to cook at home if you know what you are doing. Personally I now try to stay away from red meat, but not adverse to once in a while splurging, but have not found that place here yet.    

43 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

After all my years here, I learned early not to order steaks of any kind in a Mexican restaurant or any other restaurant...consistently tough, tasteless and overpriced. Not sure why, but Mexican beef is nor raised or fed as in the US or other countries. Plenty of other choices, I am sure in this restaurant and many others, but just my opinion...stay away from steaks!!! I understand that there are some places here to buy good steaks to cook at home if you know what you are doing. Personally I now try to stay away from red meat, but not adverse to once in a while splurging, but have not found that place here yet.    

There are plenty of reasons to be wary of steaks here because of the way beef is raised, but be aware there is also a lot of imported beef from the US, and Sonoran beef can be pretty damn good. Ajijic Tango offers superior steaks. Bruno's certainly used to, although I haven't been in a while. There are arrechera and especially vacio available locally that are killer tender and tasty.

Don't let your fear keep you away from some excellent offerings.

• Like 1

while on restaurants, I am ashamed of the US Chains operating in Guadalajara. I have taken family to Outback, Chilis, and Olive Garden; promising a good meal experience. I was horribly disappointed at all three. Stay out of the US big named chains when in Guadalajara!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HarryB said:

while on restaurants, I am ashamed of the US Chains operating in Guadalajara. I have taken family to Outback, Chilis, and Olive Garden; promising a good meal experience. I was horribly disappointed at all three. Stay our of the US big named chains when in Guadalajara!

That goes for McD too-the Big Mac is really bad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HarryB said:

while on restaurants, I am ashamed of the US Chains operating in Guadalajara. I have taken family to Outback, Chilis, and Olive Garden; promising a good meal experience. I was horribly disappointed at all three. Stay out of the US big named chains when in Guadalajara!

While on my once every two week shopping run to PV one day, I got a craving for a burger, which I eat once in a blue moon, and stopped at Outback, which was on my route anyway. 

I ordered medium and it came bloodily rare inside, the bun was totally soggy and the fries were way undercooked, cold, and also soggy. I'll never go back.

But I have to say that back in the days I used to drive back and forth from Canada, I was always so glad to cross the border into Mexico, as driving the highways in the US, the chains are pretty much the only options for where to eat. Whereas in Mexico, you can stop along the road at almost any little roadside mom-and-pop restaurant and get a decent, if not excellent traditional Mexican meal. 

And though I haven't been that way in years, so it may no longer be there, on the US side of Nogales, there was a food truck you could see across an empty lot from the sketchy Motel 6 where I slept the night, that makes absolutely delicious burritos.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, artsnob said:

The all time worst seafood restaurant in Mex, is Red Lobster, In My neighborhood in Mex City it was so bad even the mexicans did not go, it is now a Pizza Hut

You are so right about Red Lobster.....TERRIBLE.  The only two with US names that I find good are The Cheesecake Factory in Galerias and Arby´s in the Gran Plaza.  Not sure if it´s a US chain or not, but Carl´s Jr. is better than McD or BK.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, gringal said:

Is that a real question?  Here's one answer:  to get a fast, cheap burger when you don't know where to go for a better one and you do know that the ones at Carl's Jr. aren't bad at all.😏

Sorry but with so many good and inexpensive places to eat, I don’t get choosing the mass produced mediocre crap served at chains.