Chapala.com Webboard

Seller of a housefull of stuff

cedros

2 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

if you think and, walk and talk like a Mexican everything is negotiable its only the stupid gringos that pay the asking price

I can assure you that Mexicans don't think they can negotiate the price of a taco at a taco stand, the gas they put in their car at the pump, and many other things. Mexicans understand what non-negotiable set pricing is.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

I can assure you that Mexicans don't think they can negotiate the price of a taco at a taco stand, the gas they put in their car at the pump, and many other things. Mexicans understand what non-negotiable set pricing is.

Please cut out the BS... we both know what the life style/cultured is here in Mexico, or has the Pandemic started to dull your senses.🥱

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, virgo lady said:

That's your opinion.    33% of houseful of stuff, using Cedro's figure, could be a lot of $$ as a commission, much more than some people make even for buying inventory and having the cost of carrying it.      

But they probably have to do a lot of work to earn that 33%

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cedros said:

33%

Maybe try face book..or advert in paper for sale. If you are prepared to guess a saleable price and tag each item having an open house can be "fun" but you need help ....right now because the "traffic" is slow and stuff could hang around for some time...whatever you decide.....Good luck Mate

4 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Please cut out the BS... we both know what the life style/cultured is here in Mexico, or has the Pandemic started to dull your senses.🥱

People everywhere, unless money is no object, try to save where they can. Selling your own home, your car, doing comparison pricing to see who offers the best deal. 

That's totally different from trying to negotiate the price of someone's work or services.

Before the pandemic, I rented a private room in my home on Airbnb. I've had many wonderful Mexican guests, from all over Mexico, not one of whom tried to negotiate the price of the room.

In your attempt to act savvy about Mexican culture, you are generalizing in a quite discriminatory way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mudgirl said:

The examples you cite are not for services.  Depending on what and who it is not inappropriate to ask if they have offered the best rate.  The Mexicans I know chuckle at the expat tendency to pay whatever is asked.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

The examples you cite are not for services.  Depending on what and who it is not inappropriate to ask if they have offered the best rate.  The Mexicans I know chuckle at the expat tendency to pay whatever is asked.

If one pays whatever is asked because they haven't bothered to find out what the average pricing is for something, then that's not too smart. Likewise knowing in what situations bartering is expected and in what situations it's insulting.

I don't dicker with tradespeople who do good work and am aware of what those types of tradepeople generally charge. And you get what you pay for most of the time.

One of the big differences, in general, that I've seen is that the average Mexican is more interested in paying less now regardless of the quality of workmanship or product, whereas many foreigners look at the long picture and don't mind paying more for something that they won't have to replace or have done over because it was a cheap job in the first place. It's looking at what is most cost effective in the long run.

You can buy a cheap pair of sandals that fall apart in 6 months, or you can pay twice or 3 times as much for a well-made pair that last you for years. Which choice is really the one to chuckle about?

I'm simply pointing out how the Mexicans I know view this.  You are welcome to view it however you like, pay as much as you want for anything.

It is quite possible to receive the same quality after a little bargaining first.  The "gringo price" is a reality here and can often be tempered with said up front polite bargaining.  If you doubt this, get a price for something and then have a Mexican friend get a quote for the same thing or service.

Bargaining is very much a part of the mainstream culture in this country particularly when you get away from gringolandia. 

Actually it is a source of some irritation among Mexicans that expats upset the prevailing culture by overpaying for both goods and services and failing to discuss quotes in the respectful manner that is part and parcel of that culture.