Chapala.com Webboard

Seller of a housefull of stuff

cedros

I seem to recall a couple (from the westend?) who would come to a house and arrange to try and sell everything but I don't remember their names or contact. Does anyone know?

On 2/16/2021 at 12:07 PM, traderspoc said:

Todo Buenoo consignment and resale is open now in riberas, they have excellent traffic, great place to sell items at good prcies

Thanks for the replies. But you have to bring all your furniture to Todo Bueno. Some of the furniture here is quite large and there is a house full.

Julie and Wayne have been here-they seemed very knowledgeable and capable but the owner thought there commission was too high.

11 hours ago, cedros said:

Thanks for the replies. But you have to bring all your furniture to Todo Bueno. Some of the furniture here is quite large and there is a house full.

Julie and Wayne have been here-they seemed very knowledgeable and capable but the owner thought there commission was too high.

Tell the owner you get what you pay for. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If the sellers do not want to pay the commission of a broker to run the sale from their home and there is too much large furniture to be sold out of a bazarre then they are left to sell through ads placed on web boards or Facebook buy/sell sites and handle it all themselves. I am assuming donating the stuff is also not an option for them. Other than driving away and leaving everything behind I see no other options for them. I wish them the best of luck in disposing of their property. 

• Like 1

Julie and Wayne Hensley have an enormous following as Bisbee gal has already pointed out. I have both bought things from them and sold things through them and enjoyed the experience of painless selling. You have to also account for the current pandemic situation. Do you want to screen and schedule many appointments over many weeks with a lot of people that you don't know? That cost and toll on time and health should be taken into consideration. Julie and Wayne adhere to strict protocols with masking and numbers of people. The whole sale can be finished in two days. I wish you well in the sale of your "stuff" but there are other considerations besides commission. I currently have a six foot bookcase/sideboard made of Huanacastle with glass doors in a consignment store... it's been there six months. :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, virgo lady said:

How much / what %?    Everything is negotiable.....please elaborate.

No, everything isn't negotiable and it's quite disrespectful to try to chisel someone down on what they charge for their work and expertise.

It's one thing to barter with some middleman selling commercially made silver jewelry at inflated prices because tourists don't know any better, quite another not to respect what someone charges for their  personal hard work and experience.

If you can't afford someone's services, no one is forcing anyone else to employ them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

29 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

No, everything isn't negotiable and it's quite disrespectful to try to chisel someone down on what they charge for their work and expertise.

That's your opinion.    33% of houseful of stuff, using Cedro's figure, could be a lot of $$ as a commission, much more than some people make even for buying inventory and having the cost of carrying it.      

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, virgo lady said:

That's your opinion.    33% of houseful of stuff, using Cedro's figure, could be a lot of $$ as a commission, much more than some people make even for buying inventory and having the cost of carrying it.      

Then one's choice is not to use the service if they feel it's too expensive.

As I said, not everything is negotiable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Normal is 30% and you wait and wait and wait until something sells. For 3% extra, I think it's the bargoon of the century. YMMV.  How many things and where did you sell on consignment virgo lady? How long did it take? And for what % of the total?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, virgo lady said:

Your opinion.     Do you speak for these business people or their customers?    If not, then it is just your opinion and mine is just as valid.   

I speak for myself as a business owner. If someone tries to "negotiate" a cheaper price on my upholstery work, they are told they are free to go elsewhere.

People generally have no idea what a certain type of work entails- if they were capable of doing that work themselves, chances are they wouldn't be looking to hire someone else to do it, yet will feel justified in trying to barter.

Do you try to negotiate a better price at the check-out stand of the grocery store? Negotiate the price of a restaurant meal? Why is is okay to try to negotiate with a person offering their business services?

• Like 3

My experience with consignment shops is they tend to tell the customer what they want to hear... "Why yes of course that antique French sideboard is worth tens of thousands of pesos."  

Then after it sits in the shop for months taking up space they need for new inventory, they call you to tell you to either reduce your price by 50%, or come get your stuff and get it out of their shop.  

• Like 3

I've given up on my bookcase. I'm going to ask IB furniture to have their carpenter  remake it into a chest with a hinged top... that's something I need and can utilize. As with all things, including houses, it doesn't matter what its worth, it's what someone is willing to pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

It's one thing to barter with some middleman selling commercially made silver jewelry at inflated prices because tourists don't know any better, quite another not to respect what someone charges for their  personal hard work and experience.

If you can't afford someone's services, no one is forcing anyone else to employ them.

You surprise me Mudgirl, for a person who has lived and experienced the Mexican culture like you have. My dear  if you think and, walk and talk like a Mexican everything is negotiable its only the stupid gringos that pay the asking price...but perhaps you jest:018:

• Sad 5