Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Scotiabank ATM Usege Fees


Recommended Posts

***FOR CANADIANS*****
I saw some additional service fees on my bank statement so called Scotiabank in Canada to find out what is going on. It appears Scotiabank Canada is changing its service fees effective March 1, 2021. If you have a Scotiabank Canada bank account and use the Scotiabank Caribbean or Mexico ATM networks, you may have to pay a $5 per transaction service charge moving forward - depending on which type of account you have. It was free in the past for Basic Plus or Preferred Checking accounts but will be no longer. Scotia Inverlat will now be considered a "non-Scotia" bank in the eyes of its Canadian parent. You will need to upgrade to their Ultimate checking account to escape the withdrawal service fee charge. I can find not notifications of this upcoming change on their web site.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ezzie said:

***FOR CANADIANS*****
I saw some additional service fees on my bank statement so called Scotiabank in Canada to find out what is going on. It appears Scotiabank Canada is changing its service fees effective March 1, 2021. If you have a Scotiabank Canada bank account and use the Scotiabank Caribbean or Mexico ATM networks, you may have to pay a $5 per transaction service charge moving forward - depending on which type of account you have. It was free in the past for Basic Plus or Preferred Checking accounts but will be no longer. Scotia Inverlat will now be considered a "non-Scotia" bank in the eyes of its Canadian parent. You will need to upgrade to their Ultimate checking account to escape the withdrawal service fee charge. I can find not notifications of this upcoming change on their web site.

That is a shame. Easy money for the bank.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will this affect the use of cards when just doing purchases? As I don't use ATM machines, just instore purchases. For cash I Transfer money via Western Union to a Mexican bank account and withdraw from there. Because, Western Union doesn't charge me any fees and the exchange rates are pretty much the same as the bank.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 11:38 AM, Ezzie said:

***FOR CANADIANS*****
I saw some additional service fees on my bank statement so called Scotiabank in Canada to find out what is going on. It appears Scotiabank Canada is changing its service fees effective March 1, 2021. If you have a Scotiabank Canada bank account and use the Scotiabank Caribbean or Mexico ATM networks, you may have to pay a $5 per transaction service charge moving forward - depending on which type of account you have. It was free in the past for Basic Plus or Preferred Checking accounts but will be no longer. Scotia Inverlat will now be considered a "non-Scotia" bank in the eyes of its Canadian parent. You will need to upgrade to their Ultimate checking account to escape the withdrawal service fee charge. I can find not notifications of this upcoming change on their web site.

My Scotia "Powerchequing" account has no charges for any transactions nor my Visa and Interac as always, when I use them. I was not required to change anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are no charges for using a Scotiabank card in the machine. The Mexicans are upset about the Canadian government stopping flights between Mexico and Canada so they are changing the $5 fee..if you call your bank they will refund you the fee.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

There are no charges for using a Scotiabank card in the machine. The Mexicans are upset about the Canadian government stopping flights between Mexico and Canada so they are changing the $5 fee..if you call your bank they will refund you the fee.

Great. That’s good to know. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

There are no charges for using a Scotiabank card in the machine. The Mexicans are upset about the Canadian government stopping flights between Mexico and Canada so they are changing the $5 fee..if you call your bank they will refund you the fee.

That's not what I was told by the Customer Service Center.  Can you cite where you heard or read this or are you just speculating??

Link to post
Share on other sites

That was from Scotiabank customer service. A week ago today I was charged $5 fee for using the ATM. I called customer service and that was their explanation for the fee which they reversed and told me if it happens again just call and we will reverse the charge.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I was able to get all charges reversed.  The Customer Service agent I spoke with said it was a computer glitch and affected transactions from Feb 1 to 17.  Who knows what the truth is!  All good again now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 10:49 AM, Ezzie said:

The Mexicans are upset about the Canadian government stopping flights between Mexico and Canada

As they should be. Cancelling flights hurts the Mexican tourism industry for no reason other than to punish those that want to escape the winter in Canada. There is no evidence that shows what they are doing will curtail the spread. This is a knee jerk reaction because Canadian politicians we caught vacationing while telling people to stay home. 

  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BeanRoy said:

Cancelling flights to Mexico has much more to do with worrying about travellers returning from here than it does about coming here.

I am not sue it does, as the old isolation measures we already in effect, plus the only flights cancelled are from Mexico and the Caribbean. All other flights from areas that have uncontrollable variants are still operating. So if we are concerned about travelers returning, then why not all flights?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Northtek said:

I am not sue it does, as the old isolation measures we already in effect, plus the only flights cancelled are from Mexico and the Caribbean. All other flights from areas that have uncontrollable variants are still operating. So if we are concerned about travelers returning, then why not all flights?  

Giggle if you expect me to validate, justify, or otherwise explain the action of government bodies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BeanRoy said:

Giggle if you expect me to validate, justify, or otherwise explain the action of government bodies.

No expectations of an explanation of government actions, as most cant be explained, but all good. I will leave it at that as we have gone so far of topic, I will need a map and a compass  to get back. lol

But I do deal with Scotia Bank and have been watching my account for the $5 charges. I was surprised to find out that Scotia here is not the same as in Canada, as that was the main reason I bank there. Every country I have been too, I could always find the familiar Scotia logo. Seeing as I travel a lot, there was a certain comfort in knowing that no matter where I was, I could always find a branch.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a list of foreign banking institutions on the Scotiabank Canada website where you can use their ATM network without service charges.  It is referred to as the "Global ATM Alliance" network.   I was surprised at the list of banks throughout the world.   https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/personal/ways-to-bank/manage-accounts/global-atm-alliance.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...