Chapala.com Webboard

Covid restrictions

kmetzger

30 minutes ago, cedros said:

I thought the governor was going to make an announcement today on Facebook after 1 pm.

Last night he gave us kudos for being compliant boys and girls, and after today the restrictions are removed.

His 1:00 conference is for him to share the new Plan Jalisco, to be enacted supposedly for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 5:39 PM, kmetzger said:

Any word yet on when the lockdown for people over 60 will end in Guadalajara? Need to go shopping at SAM's.

Tomorrow supposedly.

https://www.informador.mx/economia/Plan-COVID-2021-Que-cambia-en-los-comercios-20210212-0056.html

Keeping the kids out of school for another 7 months that should be great for their futures, particularly the children of the poor who sure as heck don't have the money for computers.  Sad.

• Like 3

I think, yes, hard to grasp. There are two things at play with all Mexican authorities: the need to Cover Your Butt and the need to show your superiority. This goes back all the eay to the Spaniards. You could get killed just be being in the street at the wrong time. And your best bet was to get a job from the local militia; if you couldn't do that, then you counted on your brother or cousin who did have that kind of job for favors.

Creating paperwork seems to be the most effective way for gov't employees to both cover their butts and obfuscate procedures to much that no one can ever be blamed, because the culprit can not be found and no one is going to admit they let someone else screw up. This allows for bribery from the lowest (transitos) to the highest (cousin of officials who has a concrete business).

So everything takes far too many steps. The fact that anything gets done at all is amazing sometimes. I can't believe how poorly the banks treat their customers here when anything goes wrong. Same with CFE and TelMex and the municipio. Immigration here is, ironically, a rare exception these days.

Learning how to deal with all this is a really good reason to master the language and to actually enjoy living here.

7 minutes ago, RickS said:

For a moment there, Andy, I thought surely you were talking about the United States.....

Sure, there is bumbling and obfuscation at every level in every country. That was not my point. My post was in response only to Ferret's "hard to grasp" comment, and only has to do with the cultural reasons you can finger in Mexico. Unless you can point to the Spaniards working their magic in the US.

or who ever has to work with other people.. Anyone working out in the public has the same or should have the same worry.  So many people need to get protected that it is not that easy to make up the priorities.. There are different priorities in different countries and that is the way it is .. nothing is perfect and really no one really knows..  Future will tell who was right..

On 2/12/2021 at 5:58 PM, Mainecoons said:

Keeping the kids out of school for another 7 months that should be great for their futures, particularly the children of the poor who sure as heck don't have the money for computers.  Sad.

Aren't the poor supposedly the ones AMLO represents and cares so much for? Maybe he should be working to get computers to the poor kids instead of spending time on his pet projects like the Maya Train.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Aren't the poor supposedly the ones AMLO represents and cares so much for? Maybe he should be working to get computers to the poor kids instead of spending time on his pet projects like the Maya Train.

Agree.  Have you shared that thought with him?

Also, I think teachers should be very high on the priority list for getting vaccine.

16 minutes ago, Ferret said:

What do you call it when you restrict the movement of people who look healthy and are asymptomatic but are infected?

And just how would you know they are infected?  A covid test with a very high error rate?  How many seemingly healthy people are actually being tested, particularly here in Mexico?

So without massive testing, that is unlikely to happen in Mexico, there is little likelihood of determining who carries covid.  Overall, there is little tracing here.

Get used to the idea it is going to run its course in Mexico.  If one can't handle that reality they have the choice of either locking themselves down near totally here or going somewhere where testing and tracing is far more common than Mexico.  And it will take many months before a large part of the population is inoculated here.

Of course it's going to "run its course" EVERYWHERE. The occasional two week lockdowns are for when things get out of control like they did after the holidays. Two weeks of keeping people on a tight rein works. Jalisco is back down to where it was... around 1500 active cases. I am grateful to Alfaro for stepping up and keeping things in check. Things are looking better but I will not forgo the personal precautions that I have in place. Just be grateful that you have somebody else in your household that you can hug. I am terribly afraid that I'm gonna crush the first person I get to hug. A year without a hug. This too shall pass.

• Like 2