Chapala.com Webboard

Covid restrictions

kmetzger

do not worry, today is Carnaval and people have been partying like mad  without didtances or masks for 5 days.. If people in Chamula, Chiapas do not have more contagion they should send investigators to find out why they are inmune...

Yes very litlle testing.. Over the last year my sister was tested 5 times .. here  NADA

47 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

If one can't handle that reality they have the choice of either locking themselves down near totally here

Why do you insist on portraying those who have been doing the common sense things to keep themselves safe, and supporting govt. restriction measures as cowering in their homes behind locked doors, terrified to go out?

I visit with friends and neighbors, sitting comfortably outside on our terraces, maskless but distanced, go out shopping once a week taking all precautions. I've always been a homebody and my life really isn't all that different now than before.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Why do you insist on portraying those who have been doing the common sense things to keep themselves safe, and supporting govt. restriction measures as cowering in their homes behind locked doors, terrified to go out?

I visit with friends and neighbors, sitting comfortably outside on our terraces, maskless but distanced, go out shopping once a week taking all precautions. I've always been a homebody and my life really isn't all that different now than before.

Sorry there is nothing in my post that says any of that.  What I am trying to get across is the reality of where we live.  Mexico is NOT going to handle covid in a first world manner.  Mexicans DO NOT by and large follow the precautions you would like them to.  The asymptomatic carriers ARE NOT going to be discovered here by massive testing and tracking.  The vaccination program is going to be very slow.

The Mexican implementation of lockdowns has been largely unsuccessful except in the massive economic damage and expansion of poverty it has caused.  They've only served to delay the day of reckoning by and large.

You either learn to live with it the way it is here and understand you can ONLY RELY on yourself to minimize exposure or you go someplace where the implementation of prevention is far more effective than it is here.

What doesn't accomplish anything is filling up this board with angst and complaints about Mexicans who simply aren't going to do what you want them to.  And there is a lot of that going on here.

Try to read what I actually post and not read "its about me" into everything that doesn't agree with your point of view.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

How then can you explain, for example, Mexico has tougher drinking driving laws, seatbelt laws than, lets say Canada. And they are vigorously enforced. People always push the limits. For example so many young people on underpowered scooters and atvs, unlicensed, uninsured and no helmets. These are being enforced and confiscated sure, but these young people don' t learn from the experience, they think it was just dumb bad luck.

1 hour ago, RickS said:

What is it about a worldwide pandemic that you do not understand?

I am in a South American country right now. Súper bowl party packed no masks. Bars are open till midnight. Masks are just a suggestion. Guess what numbers are dropping like a rock go figure. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

but these young people don' t learn from the experience, they think it was just dumb bad luck.

I read a really interesting study once that explored why boys get hurt much more often than girls do. It wasn't that the girls didn't engage in the same level of physical activity that boys do, the study groups they used were those where both genders were very active in sports.

It was a difference in attitude- when they asked the girls why they thought they got hurt, the answers were that they had been attempting something they didn't have the proper skill level for, they were tired that day and so not alert enough, they had been slacking off on their practice, etc.

When they asked the boys the same question, the answers were that it was bad luck.

The girls made the cause and effect connection, the boys didn't.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, vetteforron said:

I am in a South American country right now. Súper bowl party packed no masks. Bars are open till midnight. Masks are just a suggestion. Guess what numbers are dropping like a rock go figure. 

Yeah, saw the same thing AFTER THE SUPER BOWL in Tampa Florida.  

Just because I D I O T S  do something surely doesn't make it a activity worth championing. Quite the contrary. Reasonably intelligent folks will at least consider wearing a mask and keeping some distance between them and the unknown. But there will always be those who think THEY know more than the experts, think that THEY are the experts, think that THEY are invincible, have no respect for OTHERS in ways that defy reason. 

My opinion, of course.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Interesting article regarding people not having some inate "right" to their beliefs, if those beliefs are not based in fact and endanger others.

https://www.rawstory.com/americas-survival-at-risk/

And just who determines that?  Oh, the "experts."  At least the experts in favor.

Fascism anyone?

Sad.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

I did.  It is an op ed advocating thought and opinion control  If the elite or oligarchy or some majority they have swayed with propaganda decide your beliefs don't fit their narrative, out you go.

Sad.  Sad that after several hundred years so many are ready to throw away the freedoms that made western civilization so successful over a "pandemic" that in historical terms is hardly apocalypic.

Fortunate there are still many who do not agree with this tyranny.  And it most definitely is fascism.

Here's always the trap--sooner or later someone or some group comes along who decides YOUR beliefs are wrong and endanger others.  It is why the right to be wrong is a basic freedom in free societies.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

And just who determines that?  Oh, the "experts."  At least the experts in favor.

Fascism anyone?

Sad.

46 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Interesting article regarding people not having some inate "right" to their beliefs, if those beliefs are not based in fact and endanger others.

https://www.rawstory.com/americas-survival-at-risk/

I think that the operative words that were maybe overlooked by you were:  IF THOSE BELIEFS ARE NOT BASED IN FACT AND ENDANGER OTHERS.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RickS said:

I think that the operative words that were maybe overlooked by you were:  IF THOSE BELIEFS ARE NOT BASED IN FACT AND ENDANGER OTHERS.

I think you miss the point about how fact is often determined.  As is endangerment.  I think people who seek to force their "facts" on others are a danger to civilization.

I always like to remember the Galileo story where the flat earth "fact" believers suppressed dissenting views.  Real science never thinks it has all the answers and supports strong discussion and dissent.  Politicized science which is what much of the covid scene is based on, seeks to suppress alternative views and investigations.

And dictation of "fact" and suppression of dissent is core to fascism.

Let's leave it at that.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

It is an op ed advocating thought and opinion control  

No it isn't advocating that at all. It advocates a shift in attitude where beliefs based upon non-reality are no longer afforded respect.

Perhaps you should stick to things which are simple for you to comprehend the meaning of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

No it isn't advocating that at all. It advocates a shift in attitude where beliefs based upon non-reality are no longer afforded respect.

Perhaps you should stick to things which are simple for you to comprehend the meaning of.

Yes, it is ! So, give it a REST !!!

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

And just whose reality is your "non-reality" ??? ¿Comprendo?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

No, I don't. If you insist the moon is made of blue cheese, that isn't a factual reality. 

Remember the earth used to be flat and the sun, moon and all the planets revolved around it. Disbelievers were actually put to death for espousing a different theory. 

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

Remember the earth used to be flat and the sun, moon and all the planets revolved around it. Disbelievers were actually put to death for espousing a different theory. 

You just proved the point of the article I posted a link to, which a couple posters completely misinterpreted. 

People can believe the earth is flat or round, their "belief" is their business. It's acting on one's beliefs in a way that negatively affects others that isn't acceptable.

You can believe that your neighbor is a Satan worshipper who sacrifices kittens in his basement. You can believe that God told you that. But you can't use your belief in that to justify murdering him or burning down his house.

If people's beliefs are such that part of those beliefs include doing things which society has deemed illegal, create a danger to others, or which lead to others' suffering, then those beliefs are dangerous and should be called out as such.

That is what that article was about, it wasn't about deciding what other people are allowed to believe in their own minds.

17 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

You just proved the point of the article I posted a link to, which a couple posters completely misinterpreted. 

People can believe the earth is flat or round, their "belief" is their business. It's acting on one's beliefs in a way that negatively affects others that isn't acceptable.

You can believe that your neighbor is a Satan worshipper who sacrifices kittens in his basement. You can believe that God told you that. But you can't use your belief in that to justify murdering him or burning down his house.

If people's beliefs are such that part of those beliefs include doing things which society has deemed illegal, create a danger to others, or which lead to others' suffering, then those beliefs are dangerous and should be called out as such.

That is what that article was about, it wasn't about deciding what other people are allowed to believe in their own minds.

I was not commenting on the article you posted...frankly, I seldom read articles posted here, only comments posted. You posted about the article "It advocates a shift in attitude where beliefs based upon non-reality are no longer afforded respect." My question is: Who are they, you, or anyone else, to question my REALITY and call it a NON-REALITY??? The whole new world of SOCIAL MEDIA and FAKE NEWS are fostering Non-Reality upon an unsuspecting and brainwashed Western Culture!!!

57 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Who are they, you, or anyone else, to question my REALITY and call it a NON-REALITY???

There are all kinds of personal realities. One person grows up somewhere rough, with unattentive parents and has a view of the world that is quite different from another person who grew up in a peaceful suburban neighborhood with loving parents. One sees the world as a hostile place where you always have to watch your back, the other sees it as full of opportunity where most people are good.

But personal realities aren't the same as believing something is true of which there is no proof whatsoever and insisting on foisting those beliefs on others.