Chapala.com Webboard

Possibly driving out and flying back

ea93105

With my permanente I probably would not stop at the border to let Mexico know I've left the country if I were driving in and out, but I might fly back and I'm afraid this might trigger a problem unless I stop at the border immigration office to let them know I'm leaving the country. I was told once by the local immigration office that I'm supposed to let immigration know of every exit and entry, but some here  have mentioned that they don't bother when driving.

I've only ever driven across at Nogales so I have no idea where the immigration office is near Nuevo Laredo. Anyone know ?

Also, I once asked about bringing in a truck camper on my Mexican truck which I plan on doing in about 6 months. Since it is not a vehicle I don't think I'm in any violation with my Permanente, but I think I might be required to pay import taxes on it, I'm not sure. I'm tempted to just drive in with it and see what happens.

"Most" people who cross at Laredo actually cross a bit west of Laredo out at Colombia Solidarity as it is MUCH quicker processing. It is, however, longer to drive out there and back into Laredo if that is what is wanting to do.... and not continue on north. Watch for the signs to exit off of 85 to Pte. Colombia Bridge III. It is also highway 2.

Otherwise, Nuevo Laredo International Bridge II  is where you would go. The Immigration office is actually 'under' the bridges.  On Blvd. Luis D. Colosio which is the road you will take/turn right off of 85 coming into N. Laredo. Watch for signs for that and Puente Int. II  (International Bridge 2). Follow it along the Rio Grand River, and when you are getting close to the border veer right at a signal light onto the Lara Street lateral (there will be blue Modulo CIITEV signs pointing that way). On the lateral go under one bridge and the large building to the left will house Immigration.  After you finish there, double back on that lateral to the light where you exited Colosio and then hang a sharp right back onto Colosio to the border crossing.  This will dump you right into downtown Laredo Tx and Interstate 35.

Google Maps using Street Scene is a great help when doing this the first time.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Bob Liu said:

It’s outdated. Just for your reference.

“Driving Instructions From Chapala to Laredo” (as of 2019) at https://www.accesslakechapala.com/guide/driving-in-mexico/driving-instructions-from-chapala-to-laredo/

Any updates to this outdated route to be aware of ? 

43 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

Any updates to this outdated route to be aware of ? 

As to mileage I don't know. Road around Lagos de Moreno was repaved. Other than higher toll changes and the addition of a toll booth for the new couta just short of Laredo I think anyone could follow this and be fine

If you are going to fly back definitly check out to avoid problems. As to the camper unless it looks brand new it is doubtful you would have a problem. 

RickS has given great directions

If you drive out and fly back, then give INM (at immigration in the GDL airport) the filled out upper half of the form that you would have retained had you flown out and given them the lower half of form. I have never interacted with INM at the border when driving out or back in.

8 hours ago, RickS said:

Tomgates, can you share the logic of giving notice to INM at GDL... denoting that one is leaving Mexico.... and then not 'checking back in' when driving across?  It that protocol something that I have just missed or is it just what you do and seems to work for you so far?

Rick, don´t you have it turned around?  He is talking about driving out and flying back in.

• Thanks 1