Chapala.com Webboard

Traffic Laws

Senoir D

The Jalisco traffic law doesn't appear to offer any red-light leeway; even the yellow light is open to interpretation.

Artículo 24.- En los cruceros controlados por semáforos, la luz roja proyectada hacia los conductores y peatones indica alto; la luz verde indica siga, la luz ámbar indica preventiva interpretándose esta última, como el lapso que existe para despejar la intersección cuando algún vehículo haya entrado a el o se encuentre muy próximo y no le sea posible detenerse inmediatamente por el riesgo de producirse un impacto por alcance.

2 hours ago, Senoir D said:

Sorry operator error . Could someone please tell me the acceptable number of cars that can pass thru a traffic light after it turns red . Is it 3 or 4 I can never remember ? Almost pulled out after number 3 and lady was zooming thru and looked at me like I had done wrong . 

The traffic laws suggest it is zero. .

2 hours ago, Senoir D said:

Sorry operator error . Could someone please tell me the acceptable number of cars that can pass thru a traffic light after it turns red . Is it 3 or 4 I can never remember ? Almost pulled out after number 3 and lady was zooming thru and looked at me like I had done wrong . 

That depends. On extremely long red lights usually 6 cars but up to 8 cars and a bus. Every corner is different. You learn where and what will happen eventually if you are aware. I have no clue what a tourist might do at some of these "special" intersections not thinking it has an unwritten "rule" applied to it by everyone local.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

That depends. On extremely long red lights usually 6 cars but up to 8 cars and a bus. Every corner is different. You learn where and what will happen eventually if you are aware. I have no clue what a tourist might do at some of these "special" intersections not thinking it has an unwritten "rule" applied to it by everyone local.

That is not the law. There is a law and it says zero. Local customs can be quite different though.

2 minutes ago, cedros said:

That is not the law. There is a law and it says zero. Local customs can be quite different though. Traffic laws are vaguely followed in Mexico

24 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Some people just don't get sarcasm.

That was not sarcasm. It was me describing the corner of Himno Nacional and Santos Degollado.

Also if you approach a light that has just turned from yellow to red do not slam on your brakes without checking to see if the car behind you is speeding up or you might get rear ended. Speed up and run the red instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

That was not sarcasm. It was me describing the corner of Himno Nacional and Santos Degollado.

Also if you approach a light that has just turned from yellow to red do not slam on your brakes without checking to see if the car behind you is speeding up or you might get rear ended. Speed up and run the red instead.

That is often a concern as laws seem to be just suggestions. You have to be a defensive driver here.

• Like 1

Get close to the vehicle in front of you as you approach a light. Pay close attention to that vehicle. If he goes, you go. If he stops, make sure you stop. No need to focus on the traffic light.

PS  That was my strategy in PV pre-cataract surgery. Even with perfect eyesight on a bright day it's impossible to tell what color some lights are since they use 10 Watt bulbs...at most.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, cedros said:

That is often a concern as laws seem to be just suggestions. You have to be a defensive driver here.

Exactly right.  I found that riding motos for decades really prepared me well for driving here.  The mantra of long term moto riders who have ridden for many years without major mishaps is "Only the paranoid survive."  Equally true for driving in Mexico.  I just assume they are going to run the traffic light, pass on blind curves, ignore stop signs, turn right in front of you, etc.  First and foremost whenever possible keep your distance from everyone around you.  You know like social distancing on wheels.  :D 

Having written that, I am impressed with the skills most Mexican drivers exhibit driving on often poor and dangerous roads.  You won't find them poking along on the left hand side of the road here.

17 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Some people just don't get sarcasm.

I think you meant being facetious as opposed to being sarcastic re: the OP But some people get neither and that seems to be the case here. There is a fine line between the two,in any event. The OP  was being humourous  and a whole bunch of posters are having a serious discourse about traffic. Lighten up people and find something else to get serious about and have a good laugh along with the OP and some of us who get it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I "ran" a yellow turning red light in Chapala recently and was pulled over by a motorcycle cop, also didn't have my seatbelt on, so I was ready for a hefty ticket no problem. Officer was extremely friendly and then he started talking about supplements...huh? He called a friend or relative to have them talk to me about the supplements. Ok, I thought, I'll play along and see what happens. After about 10 minutes I told the guy on the phone I think I understood about 80% percent of what he was talking about, and then the officer proceeds to write down his personal phone number on a piece of paper and told me to proceed with caution and have a nice day. I guess I "forgot" to call the officer to buy the supplements since then. lol

Apologies. I have posted this before. In the first two months when we moved here, we wanted to purchase some Sinoran prime rib for new years. We were still flying Canadian plates. We were at the Gloriata in Las Floresta. Stopped at the light, first in line. Realised we had passed the meat place, in someone's home. Put the left turn blinkers on, across the road, first in line was a Chapala police truck. The light changed, and the officers motioned us to complete the turn, laughing the whole time. Now I realise the mistake, but still, different stress levels here.

By the way the beef was inedible.

17 hours ago, handfaf said:

It would change if we had a POLICE Dept.  Mexico = Drive at your own risk... Sad but true.

Personally speaking I do not miss the traffic ticket revenue racket NOB at all.  Tickets there are much more about getting money for the local government than any real safety particularly those "speeding" tickets.  No, I don't get them up there because I know to drive like the rest of the sheeple.

Having noted that, the shakedowns here ended when we got rid of the U.S. plated car.  Should have done that as soon as we knew we were here to stay, even before we went permanente.