Chapala.com Webboard

Finally

https://www.informador.mx/jalisco/COVID-19-en-Jalisco-Pide-CEDHJ-medidas-para-que-adultos-mayores-ingresen-a-tiendas-20210207-0041.html

The Jalisco State Human Rights Commission (CEDHJ) demanded that the state authorities apply the precautionary measures issued so that older adults can access self-service, department and commercial stores.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 2/8/2021 at 10:41 AM, Mostlylost said:

There is no official announcement from the Jalisco government.  In any case the prohibition ends in 4 days. 

There's no guarantee it won't be extended yet again.  Our governor just can't seem to grasp the futility of his endless lockdowns.

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

The lockdowns didn't work the first three times   so do it again!  

I don't know what you think lockdowns "working" means. It doesn't mean that it will put an end to the virus transmission, it is intended to slow it down. And in places where the populace complies, they succeed in seriously knocking down the infection and consequently death rate.

It isn't that lockdowns don't work, it's that they don't work if entitled people ignore them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

I don't know what you think lockdowns "working" means. It doesn't mean that it will put an end to the virus transmission, it is intended to slow it down. And in places where the populace complies, they succeed in seriously knocking down the infection and consequently death rate.

It isn't that lockdowns don't work, it's that they don't work if entitled people ignore them.

And by and large the Mexicans do which is why they don't work.  Here, it has just stretched things out.

Now going into year 2.  Time to stop doing the same thing over and over again expecting a better result.  Time to accept the larger community here and how they view this and put all the focus on personal protection and no focus on telling others what they should do.

We have no idea if the latest round of repression, which actually let most places operate but illegally imposed age discrimination, has anything at all to do with the decrease instead of the simple passing of the holidays with resulting big decrease in family and festive celebrations is the main reason.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Exactly  They didn't work in Jalisco  and it wasn't because only "entitled " people ignored them.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Upfront said:

and you have no idea that it doesnt. a little research will give you the answers you seek. and once again i ask you to beseech us with your better solutions

Who feeds, clothes, and pays for rent/house pmt and doctors during lockdowns if people cannot work?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Upfront said:

and you have no idea that it doesnt. a little research will give you the answers you seek. and once again i ask you to beseech us with your better solutions

It hasn't the last times in Jalisco yet   Check the statistical progression. 

My better solution is a massive advertising campaign. How to use a mask, how to social distance, how to  wash your hands.  Show people on ventilators,  have family talk about their losses.

On every TV station, on every radio station, in every newspaper, on billboards etc.  The govt here has lots of money to advertise how great the legislature is, the need to register to vote, how wonderful CFE is, how wonderful the Guardia National is and on and on      USE THAT MONEY to educate the population

Any country that has had success is by educating their population.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

My better solution is a massive advertising campaign. How to use a mask, how to social distance, how to  wash your hands.  Show people on ventilators,  have family talk about their losses.

Now that I agree with. However there are still non-compliant people. At the big La Comer supermarket I frequent, there is a huge sign at the top of the escalator when you enter, no one can miss it, that illustrates the correct and incorrect way to wear a mask, yet half the store employees and shoppers walk around with their mask under their nose. 

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

The only way to get people to comply is to enforce the rules and levy fines, unfortunately.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Upfront said:

pretty sure you'd have to be deaf mute and blind and living in a cave in the antarctic to have missed the advertising  and news EVERY SINGLE DAY over the last 10 MONTHS around the world

You are living in a Gringo world.  By your definition most Mexicans are living in a cave in the Antarctic because they don't watch news stations around the world. 

I watch Azteca, Las Estrellas, and the local Guadalajara news on a daily basis. Also sometimes AMLO's morning press conference, but he is so hard to listen to I change the channel.  I listen to the radio . Nothing even in the government national news network that is played on the hour  , I read the newspapers No full page ads showing what is necessary. (I'm watching the conference right now regarding Covid with Hugo López-Gatell. )

I can count the number of times on one hand I have seen a commercial from the government and basically they were cartoons for children on how to wash their hands.

If all you do is watch cartoons and telenovelas you won't see anything about how to protect your self and others. News here is far less popular than it is up north. 

Advertising works ... Daily I see announcements for how well the Supreme Court works.. How  the legislature is working for us. How wonderful CFE is. How Moreno and AMLO are transforming Mexico. How the government is helping poor indigenous people. How great the Guardia National is and on and on 

If they were to spend that money on advertising how to properly wear a mask, and clean or change them,  why the need to social distance, how to wash hands properly, they might begin to understand    EDUCATION WORKS    

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

they might begin to understand    EDUCATION WORKS    

But AMLO's base is largely the uneducated. The govt. knows that education works-it's in their vested interest to keep the uneducated that way so they believe what they are told without fact checking, reading opposing viewpoints, or railing against being fed false information.

When you have Lopez-Gatell saying "Sick people don't travel" as an excuse for not restricting non-essential travel, and Obrador telling his country that if you have good morals and don't steal and don't lie, you will be safe from COVID, do you really think that education of the masses is something they are interested in?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Upfront said:

is that all you know about the country you chose to live in. every mexican has a cell phone. every cell phone is bombarded with news every day. every mexican under a certain age is on social media. 92.5% of mexicans have a tv. they see everything. your problem is you apparently think mexicans are cavemen.

i on the other hand respect the people of the country i have chosen. they are far superior to many i left behind in the good ol usofa. and they are a helluva lot smarter than you give them credit for. they dont need full page ads. they get it. what they choose to do with it can be just as pointless as what you seem to choose to do with it.

I am a Mexican. 

• Like 3

I do not think poorly of Mexicans.    I have said nothing negative about Mexicans  And I certainly understand them far better than you do.  What I said is you live in a gringo world.  You are not aware of what the average Mexican thinks or understands about the pandemia.  

Saying they need to be educated on how they as individuals can do something is logical.  You say most of us have cellphones thus everyone knows about the pandemia . Well most of the younger people are busy reading face, and twitter, and sending whatsapp messages... not reading news stories like gringos do. Ask 100 Mexicans what the weather forecast for next week is 90 won't have any idea.   Ask 100 gringos and 90 will know.  Cultural differences that you don't know about. 

Your logic seems to be that because someone is aware of a problem they know how they can affect it as an individual. Based on that education is a waste of time. 

By the way the countries cited earlier has having done a better job of managing Covid did so by the behavior of their residents. Their citizens knew what to do and why they needed to do it. How do you think that happened?  

So when asked for a suggestion I  suggested we do what those successful countries have done.... I suggested our government stop spending millions of pesos to tell us how great they are , that they spend the money to educate the public on what they can do as an individual.  That would seem logical.  If everywhere they turned there was a announcement showing them how they could affect the spread it would help.

Your logic says lockdown..... ok  and the minute they leave the house their mask is below their nose, they remove it to talk on their cell, they meet with outside family or friends with no mask (because they are family or I know them.. they are safe) 

That's why with all the lockdowns the numbers climb every day.    You keep saying I don't get it.  Actually I completely get it.   The problems is politicians don't. They just do something, even if it's wrong. That way they can say  " I did something" 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

So true 

buying food can keep you healthy.

The lockdowns didn't work the first three times   so do it again!  

I disagree that the lockdowns don't work. I'm keeping track on TOB... https://www.insidelakeside.com/t23062-more-on-the-virus

It may not be obvious in the small numbers locally on the official government stats (same ones that you post Mostlylost) but it is if you look at Jalisco (which you don't post Mostlylost).

On November 19th , there were 917 cases in Jalisco... The BIG jump started December 31st with 2317 cases to January 1st with 2405 cases... and continued up to January 23rd when it peaked at 4292 cases. Enter LOCKDOWN and yesterday, the 9th of February and cases are sitting at 1769.

I have a lovely chart which I can't attach here because it's a word document. I guess I could print it and photograph it but, meh.

Yes, education is the key ... an Emergency whatsapp or message sent to EVERY cell phone in Mexico would do the trick.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mudgirl said:

But AMLO's base is largely the uneducated. The govt. knows that education works-it's in their vested interest to keep the uneducated that way so they believe what they are told without fact checking, reading opposing viewpoints, or railing against being fed false information.

When you have Lopez-Gatell saying "Sick people don't travel" as an excuse for not restricting non-essential travel, and Obrador telling his country that if you have good morals and don't steal and don't lie, you will be safe from COVID, do you really think that education of the masses is something they are interested in?

Mudgirl, all that you say is so true. The govt itself shows its ignorance. (AMLO came out of quarantine still and on purpose not wearing a mask.)That's why the message of why there is need to comply with the protocals for safety in this pandemeci needs to be repeated again and again and again.  We can save each other's lives.

Of course it doesn't help matters when the government is capable of banning  over 60s people from shopping for food.

Lexy

28 minutes ago, Upfront said:

one of the moderators is deleting messages without comment. this is blatant and pointless censorship and makes this bored even LESS worth using

Feel free to leave.  I delete purely personal and snarky comments and don't always point out the obvious.  I realize this has happened to you more than most here.  You may want to reconsider your style of posting or you could just go to the board where it is much more acceptable than here.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Mostly Lost was right on in his comments about government actions. There is no logic in letting Home Depot open but a small business closed. Or a church being only allowed to have 10 people regardless of how large the church is. Here in S Carolina, businesses have been open for months now. Yes, people were masks and socially distance. Stats here are little different from states that are completely locked down. I recently read something that said there is 1.3% chance of getting the virus in a restaurant with table spacing and an 87% chance of getting it in a multi-generational residence. 

• Like 1