Chapala.com Webboard

Nissa'sr breakfast!

CBGUY

This section is here specifically so people can share their restaurant and food information good or otherwise.  My experience with reviews posted here is that if it is a mixed bag, the place will probably be mediocre or worse.  There are a few people here whose tastes and reviews seem to parallel ours as we find we usually like the places we visit based on their recommendation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

We kept hearing about the wonderful breakfasts at Nissa's "Bakery" and so when we found ourselves nearby and hungry, we decided to give it a try.

True, they shred the potatoes for the hash browns, but what we were served was a tiny portion of soggy barely cooked potatoes. We knew they word bakery appears in their name and were disappointed that toast was not an option. The very kind owner did bring us a few pieces of sliced baguette while we waited, but that was it. My partner's scrambled eggs were okay, but my eggs benedict were a nightmare. I have no idea what sort of sauce they smothered the muffin and eggs in, but it was akin to a runny basic gravy of flour and milk, and zero seasoning. But the very worst part was the frijoles. How the heck does a Mexican kitchen turn out bad frijoles? They were so thin that they couldn't be eaten with a fork. Sampling then with my spoon, I found them to be as homogenous as the odd gravy over my eggs. We joked that we needed totopos to drink them from the plate.

Maybe it's because we've only been here four years, or maybe we just don't like the poor quality of some of the food many people sing the praises of, but we have become very skeptical of recommendations we read on this board. Diner beware!

I just spoke with Chuy, the chef at Nissa's and he said they never had Eggs Benedict on the menu. What ever you're smoking, I think you should share!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

But the very worst part was the frijoles. How the heck does a Mexican kitchen turn out bad frijoles? They were so thin that they couldn't be eaten with a fork. Sampling then with my spoon, I found them to be as homogenous as the odd gravy over my eggs. We joked that we needed totopos to drink them from the plate.

Maybe it's because we've only been here four years 

totopos are tortilla chips  usually made in the restaurant.  Possibly you meant popotes which are straws.

And actually there are refried beans that have been blended to a consistency that is very thin. I have eaten them many times at family gatherings. Just as you can find a guacamole sauce that is pourable which you probably have never had.  There are many different ways to prepare foods in Mexico that you may not be aware of in your 4 years here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

This section is here specifically so people can share their restaurant and food information good or otherwise.  My experience with reviews posted here is that if it is a mixed bag, the place will probably be mediocre or worse.  There are a few people here whose tastes and reviews seem to parallel ours as we find we usually like the places we visit based on their recommendation.

I have also found that there are others with more similar tastes like mine. I think pizza and Chinese food are good examples of peoples tastes being all over. When I know someone who likes the same Chinese food and recommends a new place, I'm all in.

4 hours ago, CBGUY said:

Restaurants, especially now, are having a rough time so, I think the old saying should be thought about...if you can't say something good...

Reviews of businesses should be honest and there is no point in reviews if anyone who had a bad experience doesn't say so. Business reviews don't fall under the "if you can't say anything nice...." advice, like not telling your friend that the new dress she bought is hideous and looks terrible on her.

That one person had a great meal somewhere and another had a bad one doesn't mean neither of those can be believed. It usually means that the food and/or service is inconsistent. Which others may or may not want to take a chance on.

• Like 1

I am going yo add, again, that including a location is necessary if you are actually trying to help out the business. An incorrect name and no location was what probably caused the review of something you say wasn't on the menu. You probably went to different restaurants but how was he to know with an incorrect name and no address?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1