Chapala.com Webboard

New Indian Restaurant

nutz

A friend and I had lunch Saturday at the new Al Mergi. Located in the walk through at Plaza Bugambilias Ajijic.
Had butter chicken my friend ordered Ginger chicken, spiced to our liking a #4 on a scale of 0 to 10. Was perfect, not overpowering.
i30p and 140p respectively. The rice was tasty, not all sticky. Served in separate dishes so we could share. Nan included, neither my friend or I eat bread so we passed on the nan.
Would recommend trying them out. Something a little different.
The staff are friendly very accommodating to our taste buds.
Will defiantly go back again

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2021 at 1:45 PM, CHILLIN said:

I hope the items on their menu ending in "ghost" do not mean ghost peppers. They are really, really hot!

We have been going to this restaurant in Guadalajara for months. Today we tried the new one in Ajijic. Excellent food and service in both locations. The food is spiced to order. They will ask you what number on a scale of 1-10. My husband loves his food very hot and he said 10 is not hot for him. As for me I can handle a 3 or 4. One time I asked for 8 and it was too hot. The owner said the chef is reluctant to make the dishes too hot for the ex-pats. LOL

4 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

It is indeed the correct menu.  Use the pull down feature.  I compared it to the one I got at Ajijic location this week...exact same items, exact same prices.

Ok. Got it now.

• 4 months later...

We Just enjoyed a great Indian dinner in their outdoor area …. Traffic noise wasn’t too bad… Food was great… Service was attentive and the prices were very reasonable … we ordered spice level six was perfect for us… moderately hot .

Edited by Ian Greenwood
More info
  • Like 1

Simply one of the very best eateries at Lakeside.  The owner is skilled, closely supervises preparation and the food is totally authentic.  This is the 3rd location for the restaurant.  We've been going to the 1st location for several years.  - Juan Kepler #3601 in Col. Arboledas in GDL. The 2nd location is on Ave. Providencia 2925 in Col. Providencia, GDL  We've ordered food from the Ajijic location now on numerous occasions and we have never been disappointed.  Always ready at the time requested.  Well packaged for take-a-way and always exactly as ordered and expected.  Wonderful, authentic food excellently priced.  Definitely worth supporting.  

• Like 1

Unfortunately I have a healthy appetite and there was more than enough chicken on my plate…along with excellent naan and a very tasty samosa … my wife took enough home for her lunch the next day .( refused my help to finish )

• Haha 2

The owner has told me that his established policy, and all staff are aware,  when someone complains about a dish they either: not charge or immediately replace!!  The owner is a skilled and successful restauranteur who has taken a huge risk in opening here at Lakeside during the Covid epidemic.  He lives in GDL, drives here daily and then drives home on a dangerous very poorly lit highway in the dark.

If HarryB had made his complaint known it would have been attended to........with no doubt whatsoever.  If you can't give a restaurant a chance to correct a problem then you shouldn't post a criticism.   Who gains?

It's interesting to note that since February the only criticism within this entire topic thread is HarryB's!  If this restaurant in the past five months had proven to be deserving of complaints there would be the usual high-jacked pages of both real complaints and extracted memories of totally meaningless experiences in far-flung eateries in distant corners of the world.  

Hasn't happened!   Our usual "pick-up orders" for the two of us have been in the $400 to $440 range with always a tip of at least $50 pesos or the change from a $500 peso note and......there's always enough for lunch the next day.  Most of us come from locations where you would never be able to find food of this variety, quality or portion size for anything close to the bargains available here.

• Like 1

I disagree with your complaint comment. One, there are only a handful of regulars on this board. It's a very tiny percentage of the restaurant-going population. Two, when I saw their menu originally (and still) that showed you pay extra for rice and naan, not to mention raita, (and their family combos include 1/2 an order of rice?), when the whole food culutre is based on rice, I decided that was just silly and I wouldn't be going. Simply Thai, Thai Food, Magnolia's and more... none of these places charge for rice on the side if it isn't a main component.

So there are lots of reasons you are only seeing one complaint. And I hesitate to mention... who knows what tastebuds people have? One way or the other.

We had delivery the other night. On time, and well packaged. The chicken dish was well flavored, but the sauces are all made from a base of two or three gravies made earlier in the week. Like Harry, trash chicken parts, like the spine and drumstick ends. The Sag Paneer was oversalted, but good quality squeeky paneer. The garlic and house nan breads are not as good as Magnolias.  The mint raita was good, cumin basmati rice, was good, but I dont remember if we paid extra for it. The samosa, were excellent, best part of the meal

Have most the spices now. I think I like to make my own, especially on the charcoal and wood grill. We know Indian food very well. Having lived very near the South Asian community in Surrey, B.C. Even worked for a Punjabi for a short time, until he kept pressuring me to be a bouncer/bodygaurd in his nightclub for teenagers. Dangerous job.

I too have a healthy appetite, and have found the portions to be MORE than enough. While there may only be a handful of posters on the board, some are serial complainers. If the food or service was consistently below par, we'd have heard about it by now.

I've found the service to be above average. I sometimes place an order before doing my shopping at El Torito. It is always ready when they said it would be, for me to take home with my groceries. 

• Thanks 1

Andy p….. even for you… Critiquing a restaurant’s  policies that you have never been to or experienced is a new low or perhaps not….                   Chillin….. your speculations about two or three “ gravies “ made several days in advance is just that..pure speculation …and please as a saucier for several years before becoming Chef….. “ gravies “ are something your mother probably made .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1