Chapala.com Webboard

Real Estate Market

3 hours ago, Floradude said:

The AirB&B next to my house is known at the party house in my street.  Last night 4 car loads partied all night and the noise is still going now at 10:30 am.  At this rate they are shooting for 24 hours of continues loud music with a terribly loud beat accompanied with raucous noise and singing.

Airbnb does have a phone number where neighbors can phone in to report this sort of disturbing and ongoing party activity. 

14 hours ago, Upfront said:

no one tarred all of them, certainly not me. now you say you are not liek that, and then you tell us about the ones that are like that. and until last year the majority of people doing airbnb in mexico did NOT pay taxes and a little online research AS I ALREADY POINTED OUT would show you that if you cared to look. and the article i posted excplicity and clearly states the issue, but lets just ignore that right in our defense of airbnb because YOU are not like that.

Does being constantly combative make you feel better? I didn't accuse any specific poster of tarring all Airbnb hosts with the same brush, I said it was not right to do so, as the majority of Airbnbs are not party houses.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TelsZ4 said:

The people from Guadalajara are renting and buying at Lakeside,  In the complex that I live in several units have been rented on a one year lease by Tapatio’s, and the unit is being shared by several members of the family. Parents, Grandparents, Brothers, Sisters, Children, In-laws, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins. And just about every other relative you can think of..

And you forgot about the 10 barking family Chihuahuas....☺️

If you look up the available AirB&B in Lakeside you will find many  in the $35/$45 usd range, we have thought about it but at that price it is not worth our time.

Also I have never found a place in the USA that is convenient location to where we want to be, plus the hassle of a deposit etc, maybe for a family but not for two people

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

plus the hassle of a deposit etc, maybe for a family but not for two people

What do mean by "the hassle of a deposit"? If you book a hotel room or an airline flight your credit card is charged when you book. Why would you expect booking an Airbnb to be any different? Or do you think the host should clean and prepare the space on the off chance that you might show up?

• Like 1

Hola! To the original question from the OP:  Do you feel house prices will come down or like in some area's of the US and Canada go though the roof?   It is a complicated answer. First of all, I am the broker of a local real estate agency. In 2020, sales of residential properties, area wide, were down year over year compared to 2019 a total of 29%. However, prices have remained steady and in some cases rising. The average sales price in 2020 was $264,000 USD, about the same as 2019. Inventory was up around 10%. Clearly fewer potential buyers from the US and Canada flew down to look at houses for obvious reasons. The ones that did however, were very serious and arrived with money in hand ready to buy. Yes, the Tapatios and other Mexican nationals took over some of the market share as they were looking for refuge out of the major cities and also getting their money out of the banks as interest rates came down and due to overall mistrust in the federal government. The last 3-4 months have proven to be VERY busy and the near term outlook looks very strong and if the current demand persists, along with the potential of travel opening up later this year due to vaccines, people tired of waiting to travel, and the new group of 'location independent' professionals, I would expect that the demand will remain strong and prices will slowly rise. In our office, we've been blessed with record months in both December and this month, February and had a 24% increase in 2020 compared to 2019. Sales to Mexicans and foreigners already living in the area were drivers of our sales. We do not manage rentals so I do not have a pulse on the rental market but I understand from property managers that there has been less demand (less travelers) than normal. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

9 hours ago, thomashellyer said:

Hola! To the original question from the OP:  Do you feel house prices will come down or like in some area's of the US and Canada go though the roof?   It is a complicated answer. First of all, I am the broker of a local real estate agency. In 2020, sales of residential properties, area wide, were down year over year compared to 2019 a total of 29%. However, prices have remained steady and in some cases rising. The average sales price in 2020 was $264,000 USD, about the same as 2019. Inventory was up around 10%. Clearly fewer potential buyers from the US and Canada flew down to look at houses for obvious reasons. The ones that did however, were very serious and arrived with money in hand ready to buy. Yes, the Tapatios and other Mexican nationals took over some of the market share as they were looking for refuge out of the major cities and also getting their money out of the banks as interest rates came down and due to overall mistrust in the federal government. The last 3-4 months have proven to be VERY busy and the near term outlook looks very strong and if the current demand persists, along with the potential of travel opening up later this year due to vaccines, people tired of waiting to travel, and the new group of 'location independent' professionals, I would expect that the demand will remain strong and prices will slowly rise. In our office, we've been blessed with record months in both December and this month, February and had a 24% increase in 2020 compared to 2019. Sales to Mexicans and foreigners already living in the area were drivers of our sales. We do not manage rentals so I do not have a pulse on the rental market but I understand from property managers that there has been less demand (less travelers) than normal. 

Finally a definitive, on topic response.  Thank you very much, sir.

• Like 5

Indeed! Thank you!

I would also suggest to anyone who is looking to purchase real estate here that you not abide by PRICE. There are some exceptional values well below your previously acceptable price ranges (depending, of course, on where you hail from). If you have rented for a year (or more) and are comfortable with your knowledge of Lakeside neighbourhoods and needs, then be open with regards to price. There is something for everyone in every price range.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

What do mean by "the hassle of a deposit"? If you book a hotel room or an airline flight your credit card is charged when you book. Why would you expect booking an Airbnb to be any different? Or do you think the host should clean and prepare the space on the off chance that you might show up?

Hmmm, why the attack,.....When I pay for a motel room I have the choice of selecting the best rate , no cancellation........... or the other rates which allow me free cancelation up to say 24 hours and pay/charged, when I arrive

I do not recall having to make any separate payment for a "deposit", then await its return........ Also I do earn "points" for other benefits like air travel

Obviously there are advantageous to some people (looking for a particular location/ with families?) to use AB&B but for me that is not the case. Many times when I have looked for a AB&B, I find in has stairs, which I don't like to handle with a suitcase etc. Maybe the cookie cutter know what to expect from the particular "Brand" of motel has more appeal to me than to you..

How great we both have choices and sorry for sounding so ignorant and stupid 

I love hotels or motel and do not care for B and B..  At one time in our lives we lived in a nice apartment in San Francisco  but we & Bwe wanted to see trees and be in the country once in a while so for a year we spent time on free time in B and bs. After a year of this we bought a house in the wine country..

We soon learned how to hate all the friendly host  giving us  information we did not want or need.. We like the privacy  and freedom hotels give you  ,  I can see renting a place for a month without the friendly host so we can cook and feel at home but as a rule gie me a hote or motel any day.

59 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I do not recall having to make any separate payment for a "deposit", then await its return........ Also I do earn "points" for other benefits like air travel

FYI, many credit cards, especially those associated with airlines give double bonus miles for stays at Airbnb.  Mine does automatically.  

On 2/6/2021 at 11:38 AM, Floradude said:

The AirB&B next to my house is known at the party house in my street.  Last night 4 car loads partied all night and the noise is still going now at 10:30 am.  At this rate they are shooting for 24 hours of continues loud music with a terribly loud beat accompanied with raucous noise and singing.

You should report them on the gov't emergency call line as a urgent health and safety violation.     

I think prices will fall.  More people putting off  retirement, rising crime, businesses closing, restrictions on international travel, the dollar getting weaker, the charm of the pueblo being destroyed with tearing down the hills for developments, poorly thought out bike path, infrastructure at capacity.  

Air BnB will get killed more when they hit the hosts for taxes, the 10% withholding is just that, a withholding and then they can wait and see if the host files taxes and if not then send demand letters for the income tax up to 35% on the rent and then the IVA sales tax of 16% as it was a furnished rental, then they could tip off the state for the hospitality tax of 3% then if too much time has passed penalties and interest.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

How great we both have choices.

Yes, many people prefer generic hotels and motels where they know just what to expect and some people travel the world using Airbnbs because they enjoy the uniqueness and homey feeling of many of them. It's a personal choice.

A friend created a separate suite in her Canadian home to Airbnb. She has little to no interaction with guests- there is a keypad so guests can self-check-in, and it's completely separate from her own living quarters. She gets a lot of repeat guests, like an older couple who live several hours away and come to visit their daughter and grandkids every couple months, but like being able to retire to a private space in the evenings.

Once she had a guy show up in a brand new Lexus. When she saw it parked outside, she said "Jeez, man, why'd you book my place-there's high end hotels in town, you know."

He laughed, said he travels a lot on business and prefers to stay in a place that feels like a home, rather than generic hotel rooms.

Hotels suck if you flew into another country with no car. Their locations are never near a very friendly convenient very cool neighborhood were you can feel part of the local scene after a couple of days. AirBnBs rock! Get with it people. It is not only about cost savings, having a kitchen, quiet place, washing machine etc. it is about knowing the staff at your favorite coffee house close by chatting you up and fillling you in on what's really happening there. 

One time we arrived in Madrid at 9 in the morning on a national holiday and our 7 night AirBnB apartment was in a "Bohemia" - neighborhood. She let us in around noon giving us the keys and left - we never heard from her again. We unpacked and walked outside and on the corner was a large group of 20 year olds smoking pot. They were there most evenings. My wife was shocked. I wasn't. It is not illegal to do in Spain since 2006. The place was a 5 minute walk to Madrid's famous avenue Gran Via, the center of Madrid El Centro, where hotels are $400.00 USDs per night.

• Like 1

Because I have a homeshare Airbnb, I usually have quite a bit of interaction with guests, although I take my cue from them. Some are more private, stay in their room when not out and about, and use my kitchen minimally, just to put some beers in the fridge or make some coffee. Some like to sit around and chat, cook a lot, and will invite me to partake, or we'll share a bottle of wine in the evening. I'm easy with both types.

One thing they get that they won't by staying in a hotel is recommendations for little hole-in-the-wall restaurants and cafes and shops I love that aren't going to be listed in any tourist brochures or travel books. I've also invited the guests who enjoy interaction along to a beach day to out of the way beaches they'd never know about or be able to get to without a car.

One guest from Prague was invited to dinner with me and 2 other friends, and she had such a good time that when she came back to town after a retreat she'd signed up for, she got back in contact, and suggested we all meet up for lunch, which we did.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Upfront said:

if you like hotels, use them. if you like airbnb use them. i prefer a real bnb myself. someone's home with a breakfast. they used to be cheaper and way more fun. now they are more expensive. same with airbnb for the most part

That reminds me of when we owned Casa Flores B&B in Ajijic. A gentleman came by and asked to see a room, the lowest price room he said. My wife showed one to him and he asked the price. "That's $55 US per night". He told her she didn't understand, you can't charge that much, it's not High Season. Her reply was "No, you don't understand. I set the price, you get to decide if you want to pay it."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For those who live in condos or cotos where owners and renters share common areas, there should not be any AirB&B or VRBO operations.  The state of Jalisco has very clear statutes that prohibit any kind of business operations including short term rentals for profit.  It does not prohibit multiple owners, like families, from sharing a property or having parties.  But all condos and cotos can have rules about noise, pool use, kids, etc.  As to the business issue, it prohibits everything including things like yoga classes, consulting, hair salons, lawyers, etc. and any kind of VRBO type of business.  Law also requires any person who witnesses abuse of the law to report it to authorities. 

Of course, since we are living in Mexico, don't expect any kind of quick enforcement/resolution if you complain.  This is what most count on when knowingly breaking the laws.  Culturally, Mexicans mostly have a live and let live attitude about noise and other things that might irritate some folks.  That makes the issue even more delicate.  Alan

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Intercasa said:

I think prices will fall.  More people putting off  retirement, rising crime, businesses closing, restrictions on international travel, the dollar getting weaker, the charm of the pueblo being destroyed with tearing down the hills for developments, poorly thought out bike path, infrastructure at capacity.  

Sounds identical to most major CDN cities.....and prices are not dropping, just the opposite in fact.     Many wish the "bubble" would burst since the average people cannot afford the pricing..... but with near 0 interest rates and high immigration and allowing too much unknown foreign investment, that is not the case.