Chapala.com Webboard

Honda Fit Hit 2017--nitrogen in tires?

Earl

No idea but unless you owned it since new there is no way to tell if the previous owner kept them topped off with pure nitrogen or started introducing regular air as necessary over the last 4 years.

Nitrogen supposedly has two advantages over 'normal' air.... which is also 78% nitrogen plus 21% oxygen  plus 1% something else including maybe a little water vapor.   It will 'leak out' a little less.... 2.2 vs 3.5 psi over time...but studies have shown that this is almost undeterminable to the untrained eye. The other supposed benefit is less 'interior degradation' of the rubber due to less/no oxygenation due to the lack of.... oxygen. BUT this is of little or no value as the average consumer will 'wear out the tires' long before any oxygenation could cause a problem!

Now I know that this is not anything close to what you asked, but nitrogen in tires is nowhere near as important as just checking the pressure every month or so.  And regular air free most places!

• Like 2

Nitrogen is pushed by some dealers & some tire shops. It is a huge markup item.  As RickS stated for the majority of consumers the tires will wear out on the outside long before they will degrade inside.  I have seen cars that were stored for over 10 years and the  tubeless tires were still in excellent condition inside. 

• Like 2

Dealers selling nitrogen is a big scam. Military aircraft use it to help prevent fires. The air you breath is mostly nitrogen. If you buy it you will only increase the percentage a small amount, not to 100%. Save your money.

Nitrogen is the most abundant gas in the atmosphere. Air is composed of 78 percent nitrogen. Oxygen accounts for 21 percent, and the inert noble gas argon makes up 0.9 percent of the air.

And as usual the know all’s show what little they know, Costco Mexico doesn’t charge for nitrogen.. One of the benefits of nitrogen is that the pressure doesn’t fluctuate as much as air so if you have tire pressure monitors it won’t set off false alarms..   Also because of the chemical make up of nitrogen the normal leakage is far less than air.. I have not put any nitrogen in the tires on my BMW in 4 years..  If nitrogen was installed they usually put green caps on the valve stems...