Chapala.com Webboard

Summer is here

ea93105

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

it is actually   "febrero loco...  marzo otra poco"     It basically means  February is crazy and March a little bit more

I like it !

But we didn't have "cabanuelas" this year right ?

5 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

I like it !

But we didn't have "cabanuelas" this year right right ?

I am suffering from cabanuelas up here in Seattle, waiting for my first coronavirus vaccine shot, which may not be until March 20th unless I can get an earlier appointment. Gosh sitting all day in my condo in self-quarantine  is really boring  :( 

• Sad 1

Yes, it has warmed up a bit. I take my dog for a walk at first light and it used to be 15 or16 degrees. Lately it has been 18 degrees.  One less  blanket needed on the bed. The daily high here is still only 23 or 24 degrees. So more Spring like than Summer.

La Niña, less in the winter, and could make summer drier if blocking high pressure over the eastern pacific persists.  El Niño more in the north in the winter and can't find much about how it affects summer here.  Last year was supposedly ENSO neutral and it was below normal rains to the east of here which is why the lake didn't rise much even though we had average rainfall locally.

The way las cabanuelas was explained to me, it's a Mexican folk version (like Poor Richard's Almanac) of predicting the weather for the year. The weather on January 1st predicts January, January 2nd predicts February, January 3rd predicts March, and so forth. Anybody else heard this?

2 minutes ago, NoVaDamer said:

The way las cabanuelas was explained to me, it's a Mexican folk version (like Poor Richard's Almanac) of predicting the weather for the year. The weather on January 1st predicts January, January 2nd predicts February, January 3rd predicts March, and so forth. Anybody else heard this?

You are correct. It actually originated in Spain centuries ago and is a lot more complicated than your explanation, but you are correct for the first 12 days. Each day after thru Jan 31 is part of the formula 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RickS said:

....and Pete, my nights here in Colorado are in the..... teens and maybe even single digits!!!

We moved here from the Colorado high country. I miss snowshoeing. I DO NOT miss snow in general, ice on sidewalks and parking lots, cleaning windshields....

16 hours ago, mudgirl said:

79 degrees is considered to be the temperature which the majority of humans consider comfortable without the use of heating or AC.

I've read for years that the temp that is comfortable for the most people is 72 with 45% humidity.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Don't miss snow even slightly. Photographs of it are as close as I care to get.

Have to shake my head at those who consider 80 degrees to be "summer" and require AC for that temperature. 

A/C in the car for me because cars are solar hot houses that easily get into the 90's here even now with the strength of the "high altitude" sun we have here. I need to get my windows tinted