Chapala.com Webboard

January 30th "Take Out" Sickness?

Carnivore

Ordered food for pick-up on Saturday night from a local well known Ajijic restaurant that we've frequented for years.  We were both very, very sick for two days following. If it had anything to do with the food from this particular restaurant it would be our first occasion of "food poisoning" in many, many years.  Did anyone else have a bad experience after eating food from a local restaurant on Saturday night?   Just curious.

If you identified the place you might be able to determine if it was the food. Otherwise, anyone getting ill after eating in any restaurant could answer "yes" and you would be no closer to solving your question. Just a thought.

The problem is that if Carnivore got food poisoning somewhere else, it could be damaging identifying a restaurant that had nothing to do with the food poisoning.

I guess, one should only post a source of food poisoning once you are sure you are not giving out false information. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, johanson said:

The problem is that if Carnivore got food poisoning somewhere else, it could be damaging identifying a restaurant that had nothing to do with the food poisoning.

I guess, one should only post a source of food poisoning once you are sure you are not giving out false information. 

Pete's right.  Many food-borne illnesses can take over 24 hours to develop and show symptoms.  It's often NOT the last meal you ate.  

See the chart here, https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/602fab29-2afd-4037-a75d-593b4b7b57d2/Foodborne_Illness_What_Consumers_Need_to_Know.pdf?MOD=AJPERES#:~:text=Symptoms usually appear 18 to,dry mouth%2C and muscle weakness.

Ms Chillin picked up a nasty food illness from a well known restaurant here with a group of her friends. She was the only one who ordered grilled oysters. Turns out oysters are not safe even if they have been well cooked but the oyster has ingested red tide. The toxins remain.

11 hours ago, Upfront said:

on the other hand i know my stomach and i almost always know EXACTLY where i got sick so trust his judgment

you can always pm him to ask where

on the other hand that doesnt mean anyone will get sick today at the same place

Same here. If you've been eating at home all day, the things you normally eat, and then get immediately sick after a restaurant meal, coming out both ends and when that's over, you feel fine again, it's pretty evident what was the cause.

• Like 1

Shellfish safety myths

I cannot get sick if I cook them properly.

NO! The toxins are NOT destroyed by cooking.

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/prevention-public-health/shellfish-harvesting-safety

There are many beautiful, natural oyster bays in BC. My sister and mother live very near to one of the most famous - Fanny Bay. The problem in BC was in the areas of red tide or other toxin beds (and shrimp) the areas get closed off for commercial harvesting. Then unlicensed opportunists harvest anyways, selling to unsuspecting restaurants etc. The biggest culprits were Vietnamese immigrants and things escalated to almost a race war in many parts of BC.

I would say the only safe shellfish in Mexico is harvested from the aquafarms off the coast of Baja. Unfortunately, they are not stamped, etc. and the beachvendors in PV, for example, sell raw oysters from the mouth of the Rio Cuale- a sewage polluted river.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Upfront said:

i find it hilarous that at any given time there are at least 4 or 5 threads with pedro proclaiming his superiority or bashing someone else for their stupidity

How does my liking for raw oysters get you to make such a ridiculous and brainless comment? You are a total hoot and a half.-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

25 minutes ago, Upfront said:

you suggest that you are better than everyone and that because you have not gotten sick from oysters that the op is making it up. why i have to explain this to you highlights who is truly the brainless one. forget the fact that you have to rant and moan about every damn thing and person in every thread you destroy

you know what. the op said he got sick from oysters and i am taking him at his word. so stfu about it and move on

I merely said that I like raw oysters and that's all and nothing else. You are truly a pip and a half and provide entertainment of the first order with your"ranting, moaning and destroying"-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

you suggest that you are better than everyone and that because you have not gotten sick from oysters that the op is making it up. why i have to explain this to you highlights who is truly the brainless one. forget the fact that you have to rant and moan about every damn thing and person in every thread you destroy

you know what. the op said he got sick from oysters and i am taking him at his word. so stfu about it and move on

There you go again!!! Where did the OP say he/she got sick from oysters??? Plus again,"Do as I say, not as I do" rears its ugly head in your tirade about another poster. Amazing!!! Is your Caps key still stuck in the off position? Steren has some great prices for keyboards...

15 minutes ago, Upfront said:

my apologies oh toothless one. he got SICK. i believe him. as for my difficulty with caps and such FO

i will ad for anyone laughing along with this horse hockey taht once again you have stuck your nose in. not to comment on the thread but to attack attack attack. you are so predictable. and it is boring as hell

Looks like, yet once again,you have described your own behaviour.-SNORK!

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Looks like, yet once again,you have described your own behaviour.-SNORK!

Dear little Peter. I'm sending you a picture taken the afternoon before I died from eating raw oysters from the Danube.  Same river where we got your baptismal water.  Love, Dad - SNORK!

Dear little Snorky.  When I saw Dad mailing the note to you I felt left out so I've added my picture taken a couple of days after Dad passed and just a day before I passed from smoking those things you marinated in horse pucky juice.  Love, Mom - SNORK!

image.pngimage.png.7156e68728b333715cc5a95a4d4d78dc.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently upfront and carnivore are related and bent on destroying yet one more thread, wasting their time in juvenile personal attack attempts on me who is the embodiment of forum perfection and really humble too. Wayda go you 2 lil' cry babies-SNORK!🤣😴😴

pedro kertesz

16 hours ago, johanson said:

These pictures are too funny. Sure, folks are probably going a little too far and should probably back off a little. But, I say again, those pictures sure are fantastic.

🙂

Are these recent fotos fantastic too. Nothing like reality,eh Johanson.

johanson.jpg

the real pete johanson.jpg

Gosh Pedro, I feel honored. Those pictures are from way back. It's nice to know that you have so many pictures of me :)   Could you post  a few more?

Sadly I do not have any photos of you that I could share.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

Gosh Pedro, I feel honored. Those pictures are from way back. It's nice to know that you have so many pictures of me :)   Could you post  a few more?

Sadly I do not have any photos of you that I could share.

Keep trying to BS. This is what you really look like now,all that rum and coke finally gotcha-SNORK!

the real pete johanson.jpg