Chapala.com Webboard

Walmart stopping over 60 today

sm1mex

19 minutes ago, Whipstock said:

The INAPAM discount is only available to those over 60. Is that not a gross case of age discrimination too?

No because it is not mandatory.  That is why some chose to give it and some don't.  Nor does its presence or absence affect your basic constitutional right to move about.  I suggest you have Spencer explain the difference clearly to you.  I'm just pointing out the obvious.

• Like 1

The first article of Mexico's 1917 constitution prohibits "all discrimination motivated by ethnic or national origin, gender, age, disabilities, social condition, health conditions, religion, opinions, preferences, marital status or anything else that threatens human dignity or degrades the rights and liberties of people."

Mexico's Law to Prohibit and Eliminate Discrimination also outlaws age-based hiring practices but does not specify a punishment.

Now the reality.

Employers  specify age and sex in hiring.  There are discounts provided based on age by government agencies IE;  predial,  drivers license in Jalisco, Federal Museum entry.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

No because it is not mandatory.  That is why some chose to give it and some don't.  Nor does its presence or absence affect your basic constitutional right to move about.  I suggest you have Spencer explain the difference clearly to you.  I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Agreed that it is not mandatory, and people could refuse to take the discount. But it is based on age. I too am pointing out the obvious. 

2 minutes ago, Whipstock said:

Agreed that it is not mandatory, and people could refuse to take the discount. But it is based on age. I too am pointing out the obvious. 

No it is not mandatory to GIVE the discount.  Hence this is not applicable to this situation.

Here's a reference on the provisions in the Mexican Constitution for handling crisis.  In order to suspend basic civil rights Article 29 must be invoked.  It has not been.

https://blog.petrieflom.law.harvard.edu/2020/10/20/mexico-constitution-crisis-covid19/

Again Spencer has posted on this topic and explained why this is an illegal infringement of a basic civil right in Mexico.  He has done so on Facebook and maybe somewhere here.  I'm sure he'd be happy to reiterate it for you.

3 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

No it is not mandatory to GIVE the discount.  Hence this is not applicable to this situation.

Here's a reference on the provisions in the Mexican Constitution for handling crisis.  In order to suspend basic civil rights Article 29 must be invoked.  It has not been.

https://blog.petrieflom.law.harvard.edu/2020/10/20/mexico-constitution-crisis-covid19/

Again Spencer has posted on this topic and explained why this is an illegal infringement of a basic civil right in Mexico.  He has done so on Facebook and maybe somewhere here.  I'm sure he'd be happy to reiterate it for you.

Ummm the very first part I typed was: I agreed it is NOT mandatory. 

Here is something Spencer posted on Facebook:

To all politicians, officials, servants and dwellers, help me change the decree for the State of Jalisco published yesterday, January 15, 2021. They are applying it badly in most municipalities. Supers and stores are denying entry to people over 60 How will your dads and grandparents eat if they can't come in to buy food, water or medicine? Many stores are afraid of being extorted by municipal and state authorities then they are denying entry. Would you let your people, friends, family and race die of sickness and hunger Pantry in election time doesn't raise the dead. Everything is illegal, there is no suspension of human rights according to Article 29 of the Constitution then all people within the state of Jalisco have intact their Human rights of water, food, health and all age discrimination is prohibited. SHARE FOR YOUR FAMILY AND DEMAND CHANGE NOW PLEASE

· 
See original
  · 

We went to WalMart this morning and there was a man standing out front who appeared to be the guy whose job it was to discriminate but he didn't bother us.  I was prepared to ask for the manager and point out that the sign says "people over 60 shouldn't shop here" not "can't shop here."  When we entered there were lots of older folks in the store but when we were leaving the same guy was having a discussion with a Mexican woman concerning the issue but she was let in also.  I think the stores are being put in a bad situation by poorly thought out political mandates.  Those mandates were seemingly made to reduce the spread of infection, on an emergency basis, but nobody is enforcing rules against the large family gatherings, parties, bars, gyms, etc. that seem to be the sources for most of the spread.  Those are surely "non-essential" compared to food stores.  I do recognize that anybody who has any kind of a business considers it very essential.  It does pay for his family's survival as well as the families of his employees. 

Just do the best you can to protect yourself and others and understand we all have different levels of risk tolerance as well as general health even when we get to be 60.  Also understand that stores are risking a municipal shakedown by bending a very unclear mandate to provide services to our age group.

Alan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bmh said:

what is SPencer suggesting we do?

What he always suggests we do. He doesn't work for free, nor should we expect him to do so. Group raise funds so he can launch an Amparo. That is where everything falls apart. The expats are reluctant to open their wallets, even to let the moths out. Plus this is more a political issue than a legal one.

Order online from Walmart,we just had another delivery today (Sunday) on time, nice, safe looking people, cost 39 pesos ( plus tip). They bring the groceries into your house and you sign, and only pay for, what you receive. They have a credit/ debit card reader or you can prepay online with Paypal. One item not delivered today was credited back within 1/2 hour.

Edited by CHILLIN
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Uniformed is not knowing that virtually all cases of covid in people over 60 are gotten at home, shopping while wearing mask and keeping distance has virtually a zero chance of getting covid and per Spencer this is a gross case of age discrimination specifically prohibited by the First Amendment to the Mexican Constitution.  Please contact him for his detailed explanation the latter.

Exactly. Of course, facts and reason don't seem to apply anymore when everyone knows what's best for everyone else, but I pity the folks who are over 60 (and look it) and have no one who can do their shopping for them. If you're scared, stay inside, but stop trying to be my parent. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

you keep flogging this dead horse. my guess is that you believe the virus just APPEARS at home. because iw ill let you in on a little secret. somebody has to bring it home first. and that would be the somebody who flaunt the precautions and goes out and catches it and brings it home. probably someone just like you who makes ita bout the constitucion instead of common sense

please go easy on us. i dont want to catch my death because you were outside showingoff your RIGHTS

I'd tell you to do your homework on this as there is quite a lot of data out there about where and how people get covid and it isn't from going shopping in uncrowded surroundings while wearing a mask. 

But I'd be wasting my time.  

• Like 2

Upfront, I think it is obvious what Maincoons is saying.  Most older people are getting infected at home.  The elderly expat community does not enter into the data because they mostly live alone.  In Mexico the elderly usually live in extended families so their children and grandchildren have to go out daily to work so the family can eat.  They don't receive a stimulus check here.  When and if their children get infected they bring it home.  But again to eat people need to work.

• Like 3

What I find most hilarious and hypocritical is that when the government closed down everything and made it almost impossible for the average poorer Mexican to work and feed their families the rich gringos here on this forum were aplauding the government measures and saying they were most welcomed, now that the sanitary measures effect the 60 over expat community, they now are bitching and complaining and being a bunch of lame hypocrites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dichosalocura said:

What I find most hilarious and hypocritical is that when the government closed down everything and made it almost impossible for the average poorer Mexican to work and feed their families the rich gringos here on this forum were aplauding the government measures and saying they were most welcomed, now that the sanitary measures effect the 60 over expat community, they now are bitching and complaining and being a bunch of lame hypocrites.

Bravo!  Not all of us have supported this nonsense.  These endless lockdowns have accomplished nothing but prolonging the agony and adding a bunch of economic misery to it.  The poverty rate in this country has increased drastically, how many people are dying from that?  They have very little support in the Mexican community as well.  As Spencer has noted in his comments, the older Mexicans are paying the greatest price for this illegal age discrimination as well.  The "rich gringos" have the resources to pay someone to do their shopping.  Hypocrites indeed.

• Thanks 1