Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

I am going to make a wild guess here and suggest that you are talking about the Maskaras Clinic building. Maybe one of the offices inside the gated area near the Chapala Bridge Club?

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, WideSky said:

Mom's Deli is in Riberas - you mean it's not there any more???

Both are in Riberas

Link to post
Share on other sites

.... I guess us old timers know where Mom's USED TO BE and that it was not always on the corner where it is now.  BUT, just a few steps to the east. Sort of close to Maskaras Clinic but certainly not IN the clinic.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is probably the most comically confusing posting I've seen in a long time. But I understood it all, having lived here such a long time and still love Mom's. Mostlylost just saved the day in words and pictures.

Lexy

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it was and Puritan kind of shared the space.  Can't remember the exact configuration but May Collins and daughter Camille moved to the Maskaras location and then to the location now. Long time lakeside family and son Rod started Lagunanet - which the the first internet service (dial up) in addition to TelMex.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RickS said:

But was not called 'Moms', right?

You are right.  Paul, who started Puritan Poultry where Bellon is now in SAT with his understudy Jose (Joe), then moved  to the present location of Puritan Poultry in Riberas. Paul then expanded the business to fried chicken and other items and Mae Collins was an employee of his. When Paul retired, is when the mother and daughter Collins moved to their first location in the strip of locales adjacent to the Maskaras Clinic.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, slainte39 said:

You are right.  Paul, who started Puritan Poultry where Bellon is now in SAT with his understudy Jose (Joe), then moved  to the present location of Puritan Poultry in Riberas. Paul then expanded the business to fried chicken and other items and Mae Collins was an employee of his. When Paul retired, is when the mother and daughter Collins moved to their first location in the strip of locales adjacent to the Maskaras Clinic.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I think Mae and daughter and a couple other employees quit Puritan to start Mom's as they thought they had a better concept.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I think Mae and daughter and a couple other employees quit Puritan to start Mom's as they thought they had a better concept.

OK, I will.  There wasn´t any problem between Paul and Mae, other than he wanted to retire (just like a lot of older folks). Joe wasn´t interested in the restaurant/deli side of the business and just wanted to concentrate on selling poultry and supplemental supplies.  Yes, a couple of the restaurant employees went with her as she and they were not needed for or wanted to cut up chickens.

Just a simple case of people splitting up and going separate ways, not that anyone thought anyone was better than the other. Just a case of doing what you are comfortable with.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2021 at 10:03 PM, slainte39 said:

You are right.  Paul, who started Puritan Poultry where Bellon is now in SAT with his understudy Jose (Joe), then moved  to the present location of Puritan Poultry in Riberas. Paul then expanded the business to fried chicken and other items and Mae Collins was an employee of his. When Paul retired, is when the mother and daughter Collins moved to their first location in the strip of locales adjacent to the Maskaras Clinic.

OK, that is what I recall about that location also. The Puritan guy opened up the other side to food. And there was a lady (now I know that she was Mae Collins) that seemed to run it. But didn't think it was called Mom's until the move east to the Maskaras clinic area. THEN it was called Mom's. 

Thanks, 39, for clarifying all of that....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RickS said:

OK, that is what I recall about that location also. The Puritan guy opened up the other side to food. And there was a lady (now I know that she was Mae Collins) that seemed to run it. But didn't think it was called Mom's until the move east to the Maskaras clinic area. THEN it was called Mom's. 

Thanks, 39, for clarifying all of that....

Dead right!!!  They used to sell the chickens on the west side where it became a sit down area and the kitchen was behind the poultry counter. Joe later moved the fresh poultry counter to the middle area of the building.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...